Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM

248 posts, read 494,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I've known this man personally for a very, very long time (since he was 7). He was a good man, a very caring individual that over the years has helped many people out of bad situations. If you needed help, he would give you the shirt off of his back. While I can't speak to what actually happened in this case and why, I can tell you that in my opinion he would be the last person on earth one would ever expect to do what he is accused of doing. By the way, there is a lot of information on the woman in question that was left out of the story (and I can assure you it is not flattering).
Nobody is convicting anyone here prematurely. I saw that he SUPPOSEDLY had a gun, I didn't see where they actually arrested him for carrying one, so he may or may not even be fodder for a gun discussion, but the info we have right now seemed relevant to the discussion at hand, so I posted it. Attempted murder and kidnapping charges are not something cops tend to slap onto every domestic dispute situation, and based on what we know the situation doesn't look good for him. The victim in question, who was married only a couple of years herself, and appears to have made some bad decisions regarding getting in the middle of someone else's custody battle, could be a real piece of work for all we know. I have certainly seen that sort of thing unfold before my very eyes. Like I said, always his side, her side and the truth. I think the charges against him and the scratches on her do say something though.

Not quite the same as the gun fanatic from Willow Spring that goes waving around a gun at school though, granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 PM

Here is more info on the Robert Howell case. Details at this link seem much worse than as described in the relatively limited WRAL report:

Report: Man charged with kidnapping, attempted murder of NC woma - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Old 06-16-2015, 04:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Why must we use Johnston County in a derogatory way?
Because West Virginia is just too far away? Hahahahaha

Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM

129 posts, read 186,460 times
Let's be honest people, everything in this thread just goes to show what everyone already knows: Johnston County is literally (pronounced "litrilly") the worst.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
Let's be honest people, everything in this thread just goes to show what everyone already knows: Johnston County is literally (pronounced "litrilly") the worst.
Nah. JoCo has its good and bad, just like every other area of the Triangle.

I don't think it's fair to be so black and white about the area, honestly.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
I can't tell if you are trying to be funny or just ignorant about Johnston County?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
And now there is Charleston... got a bad feeling about this latest shooting. I guess the murderer could of used a car but he didn't and we need to quit all these silly contrast/ comparisons. Troubled youth,racisism and gun culture are a nasty scourge on civilized life.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Proponents of careless gun laws will always say it's not the gun that kills it's the people (the gun is just a tool that makes the process more efficient and the body count higher).

I guess as a society what we need to figure out is that if indeed the people are the problem, how do we identify and fix THEM before they go for their gun, because getting one in their hands seems to be one of the first things they seem to do when the screws start to get loose. Either that, or they had them already in anticipation of losing their minds one day.

Either way the only solution I can think of that could work is to make it harder for them to get efficient killing tools. Psychological profiling, psychic predictions or whatever is much harder to pull off and much less certain than regulating firearm ownership better.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
Proponents of careless gun laws will always say it's not the gun that kills it's the people (the gun is just a tool that makes the process more efficient and the body count higher).

I guess as a society what we need to figure out is that if indeed the people are the problem, how do we identify and fix THEM before they go for their gun, because getting one in their hands seems to be one of the first things they seem to do when the screws start to get loose. Either that, or they had them already in anticipation of losing their minds one day.

Either way the only solution I can think of that could work is to make it harder for them to get efficient killing tools. Psychological profiling, psychic predictions or whatever is much harder to pull off and much less certain than regulating firearm ownership better.
Stricter gun laws aren't the answer. For a person to purchase a handgun legally they would have to apply for a purchase permit and wait a week while criminal and psychiatric background checks are performed. However, if I want to commit a crime and have the chance of getting away with it I surely wouldn't use one of the firearms I already own and surely wouldn't go buy a new one legally.

There are several places I know I can purchase a firearm RIGHT NOW for $200. They're called "drop guns". No serial number, most likely stolen, probably used in an armed robbery or maybe a murder, etc. Use the gun once and throw it away or "drop" it. In fact, give me a hour and I'll have you pistols, semi-auto assault rifles, and shotguns. But a person has to have "street cred." to know where to get these guns. Most liberal tools who believe the lack of strict gun laws are the problem won't be able to buy a drop gun and would probably get "jacked up" them self when they go to ask for one....."Hello, sir. I am looking to buy a stolen gun. I think they are called drop guns. Would you please tell me where I can purchase one?" (spoken in the whitest of white guy voices.). Heck, they probably don't even believe it's so easy to purchase a gun illegally so easily and will ask for "a link" for proof. LoL.

If these so-called "responsible" gun owners would quit leaving their guns in their truck there wouldn't be as many stolen guns on the streets.

Haha y'all know I'm just playin', right? It's not really like that on the streets. Everybody is friendly.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There are several places I know I can purchase a firearm RIGHT NOW for $200. They're called "drop guns".
Might want to choose your acquaintances and company more carefully. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Stricter gun laws aren't the answer.
Then what is? How do we preemptively identify/stop the nutters from wrecking countless lives in a very short period of time? I always see a lot of opposition to solutions but nothing better being proposed.

I agree about legal gun owners leaving guns where thieves can get them, but you can really fix stupid, you can just make it harder for them to do what they do with laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary