Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:02 AM

26 posts, read 42,446 times

Advertisements

While looking at the Contractor's Planroom for Cary yesterday, I noticed they had two bids out for construction of two new signals:

-Green Level Church Rd and Morrisville Pkwy (middle of Greystone) - funded by town budget, it will be metal poles on all four corners with long wires holding up the lights (similar to NC 55 and O'Kelly Chapel Rd), flashing yellows on all four left turns, crosswalks with pedestrian buttons on all sides.

-Carpenter Fire Station Rd and Cary Glen Blvd - funded by the new office building on the SE corner and two new residential developments further south on Cary Glen Blvd, it will be on metal mast arms (similar to Green Level Church Rd and Carpenter Fire Station Rd),flashing yellows on all four left turns, crosswalks with pedestrian buttons on all sides.

Not sure of the exact timeline, but I would expect by the end of the year. No new turn lanes, repaving, etc., just the signals. They should help a lot with safety, I know it is very hard to turn left out of Cary Glen Blvd especially.

Other proposed signals in Cary that I am aware of:

-First median opening on Weston Pkwy east of Weston/Evans intersection - a new development going in on the SE corner of that intersection will conduct a signal warrant analysis to determine if a signal is needed.

-Cary Pkwy and Chatham St - I read in a traffic study that this was being funded by a safety program through NCDOT.

-Cary Pkwy and West High St - a new development going in off of West High St will conduct a warrant analysis to determine if a signal is needed.

-Morrisville Carpenter Rd and Carpenter Upchurch Rd - They are going to tear out the medians and install a signal with all movements allowed. Cary is trying to get this in the 2016 budget.

-Chapel Hill Rd just north of Chapel Hill/Weston intersection - the development currently under construction on the NE corner of this intersection is installing a signal on Chapel Hill at their main entrance.

-Kildaire Farm Rd and Arthur Pierce Rd - a development going in east on Arthur Pierce Rd will conduct a warrant analysis to determine if a signal is needed.

I have also heard rumors of people wanting a signal at McCrimmon Pkwy and Lake Grove Blvd. I'm not sure of the status of this.

Last edited by muzzzle93; 06-14-2015 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,756,704 times
Ugh, enough of this traffic regulation (and stepped up speed traps) Cary. How about you focus on fixing the horrible light progression that plagues Chapel Hill Rd drivers through MVille/Cary every single day? Won't cost you a dime but some brainpower and better timing.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,614,383 times
"-Cary Pkwy and Chatham St - I read in a traffic study that this was being funded by a safety program through NCDOT.

-Cary Pkwy and West High St - a new development going in off of West High St will conduct a warrant analysis to determine if a signal is needed."

These are two dangerous intersections.
Restricting left turns would improve safety.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzzle93 View Post
-Morrisville Carpenter Rd and Carpenter Upchurch Rd - They are going to tear out the medians and install a signal with all movements allowed. Cary is trying to get this in the 2016 budget.
This is where Carpenter Farm Supply is located.
Where are the medians?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:02 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,323,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"-Cary Pkwy and Chatham St - I read in a traffic study that this was being funded by a safety program through NCDOT.

-Cary Pkwy and West High St - a new development going in off of West High St will conduct a warrant analysis to determine if a signal is needed."

These are two dangerous intersections.
Restricting left turns would improve safety.
I agree these are two intersections in need of improvements for safety.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:37 AM

22,621 posts, read 36,559,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Ugh, enough of this traffic regulation (and stepped up speed traps) Cary. How about you focus on fixing the horrible light progression that plagues Chapel Hill Rd drivers through MVille/Cary every single day? Won't cost you a dime but some brainpower and better timing.
Light timing is a horror down here. It's not that complicated.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM

22,621 posts, read 36,559,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzzle93 View Post

I have also heard rumors of people wanting a signal at McCrimmon Pkwy and Lake Grove Blvd. I'm not sure of the status of this.
McCrimmon and Town Hall needs one desperately, if they put it at Lake Grove they will just increase traffic through that subdivision (Town Hall Commons???) as people seek to avoid making a left from Town Hall onto McCrimmon.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,693,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Light timing is a horror down here. It's not that complicated.
Sorry I couldn't help myself:

https://xkcd.com/277/

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 42,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
This is where Carpenter Farm Supply is located.
Where are the medians?
Correction - Morrisville Pkwy and Carpenter Upchurch Rd.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,825,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
OK I always hear people talk like this and I agree there may be some room for timing improvements in many cases, but people think it's magic and anybody with a brain could magically fix all our problems for free.

The issue with NC54 is not the signal timing. It's the capacity of the ridiculously undersized two-lane road. You can't magically time signals to fix a problem like that. If you could then we wouldn't ever need to widen roads at all. For example, NC54 at McCrimmon backs up severely in all directions at rush hour. If you give more green to NC54 then you cause worse backups on McCrimmon. If you give more green to McCrimmon then you cause worse congestion on NC54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary