Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

mooksmom I only heard about the triangle by word of mouth and then I researched all about the area. I don't think long island is terrible. I love my home and area it's just time for a change and I am planning for the future if we decided to have a family. I don't want to literally work my life away and miss everything which is what I would be doing up here. We both make a decent amount together ... but even then living up here with kids added to it I am sure it would be fine but we wouldn't be comfortable. Everyone says to make it work as well... but I don't want to just go by in life making it work and not enjoying it. Statistically speaking cost of living is about 44% cheaper down there where as salaries typically only decrease 27% around. Even if I lose a little money thats okay b/c his salary stays the same and we would still be in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorwifey15 View Post
mooksmom I only heard about the triangle by word of mouth and then I researched all about the area. I don't think long island is terrible. I love my home and area it's just time for a change and I am planning for the future if we decided to have a family. I don't want to literally work my life away and miss everything which is what I would be doing up here. We both make a decent amount together ... but even then living up here with kids added to it I am sure it would be fine but we wouldn't be comfortable. Everyone says to make it work as well... but I don't want to just go by in life making it work and not enjoying it. Statistically speaking cost of living is about 44% cheaper down there where as salaries typically only decrease 27% around. Even if I lose a little money thats okay b/c his salary stays the same and we would still be in good shape.
Seems that it's time for a visit.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
We were attracted to Woodcreek b/c since I will be alone a lot a community type place would feel more comforting to me especially in the beginning. Also the amenities at the place seem pretty sweet. A pool we can go to whenever without the responsibility of cleaning it.
There is absolutely nothing unique about Woodcreek with respect to having a pool and amenities. There are literally hundreds of similar communities in Cary and Apex. In fact Woodcreek is fairly small, and I'd suggest they investigate some larger and more established communities if security is an issue. Search the forum on "large community Cary" for some suggestions. I would especially look for a community with many childless couples, as I think the wife may out of place in a neighborhood full of stay-at-home moms. Perhaps they should plan to rent for several years first, until they know the area better and have kids.

I'd also suggest that the wife identify and prioritize some job prospects first. Whether she needs to be at a hospital or xray lab, it makes sense to work close to home. It would not make sense to buy in Holly Springs, and then find the perfect job in Wake Forest.

I agree with the others that the couple should visit first. Maybe the wife should investigate some job interviews, such as Wake Radiology in Cary or North Carolina Diagnostic Imaging in Cary.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-16-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM

430 posts, read 626,567 times
Quote:
Statistically speaking cost of living is about 44% cheaper down there where as salaries typically only decrease 27% around.
Just be careful. That's almost entirely a difference in the cost of housing and property taxes. If you buying more house because now you can afford it you may not end up saving as much as you think.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
OP, I would caution you about making the same mistake so many northerners make when they come down here to live - making yourself "house poor" all over again. You have a lot more control down here because the taxes are a lot more stable (a LOT more).
As another posted said there are subdivisions like Woodcreek all over the Triangle. ALL OVER. Will they all be brand spanking new? No they won't. But if you really want to stretch your dollar, you should consider all possibilities including those houses that are "old" by Triangle standards (say between 10-20 years old). Your options in your price range are really good and won't break your budget, especially if you should take a pay cut or decide to stop working when you have kids.

I also agree that you should rent for awhile till you find the perfect place for you. There's no rush since you don't need schools right away.
Good luck with your search.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Statistically speaking cost of living is about 44% cheaper down there where as salaries typically only decrease 27% around.
That 44% figures seems very high. Where did it come from?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
It does seem high. Around 30% seems more realistic, according to several online calculators, which is almost exactly the salary differential quoted by the OP.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I would say that is probably mostly if they weigh property taxes heavily in that equation. My taxes here are 1/5 of the taxes on my old house.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Why a new construction home? I'd think your "sense of community" would be greater in an established neighborhood. Unless there's more truth to that "everybody's new, so we cling together" thought

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,502 times
Thanks! Yea, well we are staying with our budget that we were going to spend on a house up here... which was always around 420... if we stay under even better. We are not adding more house b/c its cheaper b/c then we won't be able to afford the house haha.. Thank you to everyone who answered me honestly -- it was a huge help! ... If anyone knows of any other radiology places that are outpatient please feel free to tell me so that I may start researching... I never found Wake radiology in my online search until someone said it here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary