U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 PM

153 posts, read 138,118 times

Advertisements

Weather, Taxes, loss of jobs (they were hit just as bad as the south was when textiles towns shutdown, up there is was mining towns), housing costs, traffic... I could go on,

Old 06-16-2015, 04:11 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
People who don't want to leave family would stay. In most areas you need quite a bit of money to live decently. The weather in the Winter months was one reason I left. Fall is kinda nice up there though.
Yup I know so many people who would like to leave NJ because of the outrageous property taxes, traffic, etc., but stay because they don't want to leave family (aging parents in particular, esp. when there are grandchildren).

Old 06-16-2015, 05:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why did you leave New York / New Jersey Boston whatever.

What kinda people are staying there?

Why is it so bad there? And yet good here?
If you want to be around your fellow Jerseyites, New Yorkers and Lon-Guylanders, then this is a more likely place than the North East.

Up there, it's so crowded that nobody goes there anymore....

Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 AM

42 posts, read 34,439 times
I moved from Pittsburgh due to the constant cloudy weather. We've been here only a short time and it's amazing how many more sunny days there are over here. I also like all the greenway trails and the healthier food options and healthier in general lifestyles.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:04 AM

111 posts, read 122,993 times
Cost of living, property taxes. I didn't live in NYC, but a couple hours north, and even with two gainfully employed young adults who had saved thousands for a year to buy a home, we still felt priced out. The winter was also brutal. Most people we know living there still (married couples with families, 20s-30s), either live in their parents' basements, or live in a home their parents own. No thanks.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 AM

274 posts, read 143,253 times
High Taxes

Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 AM

2,282 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
Cost of living, property taxes. I didn't live in NYC, but a couple hours north, and even with two gainfully employed young adults who had saved thousands for a year to buy a home, we still felt priced out. The winter was also brutal. Most people we know living there still (married couples with families, 20s-30s), either live in their parents' basements, or live in a home their parents own. No thanks.
This^^. I lived on LI and it applied there too. Some many employed people living with parents because they can't afford a house/taxes. It is depressing and stressful to feel like you will never be ahead even though you are working you tail off and commuting 4 hours a day. Staying just because family chooses to live there would have cheating ourselves out of a better life.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:11 AM

433 posts, read 554,060 times
Instead of fixing our problems where we are, we bring our problems to wherever we go.

[stupid thought from a former Long Islander -> D.C. area -> Los Angeles CA -> San Jose CA -> Upstate NY'ker -> current Raleigh area resident]

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This^^. I lived on LI and it applied there too. Some many employed people living with parents because they can't afford a house/taxes. It is depressing and stressful to feel like you will never be ahead even though you are working you tail off and commuting 4 hours a day. Staying just because family chooses to live there would have cheating ourselves out of a better life.
Totally agree. I have family members on both sides who just don't realize it doesn't have to be that way. Oddly all of the people who feel that way live on LI. There also seems to be a general feeling in my family that it's not ok to move away from your parents/other family members at all, which I think is absurd (but we put the fun in dysfunction)

Edit: I was invited to a graduation party on LI on a recent Sunday evening. Obviously I cannot attend. People were angry.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:01 AM

203 posts, read 196,679 times
When my parents left Connecticut around 2005 it was almost impossible to buy a decent home for less than half a million and property taxes on their house were almost $15,000/year (on a home worth about 500k). This was not in Greenwich either, but a small inland town that really could have been Anywhere, USA. Salaries up there are not that much higher and certainly don't support the higher COL for those with normal middle-class jobs. Sure, the seasons can be nice but it is really a land of extremes where you have to worry about 3 feet of snow and 100+ degree temperatures in the same year. Obviously many people are finding that it just isn't worth it in the end and moving provides a more pleasant overall experience. Having grown up there I have no desire to ever go back, not even to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or