U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,494 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I was recently laid off from a job I absolutely hated and its made me think that I no longer want to spend my life doing something meaningless! I come from a family of teachers and most people assumed I would teach but the earnings potential made me go another route. However, after my last job, I'm much more concerned about liking life than the money.

I've seen posts about lateral entry certification on here that are a few years old at this point, and I've done a ton of research on the subject. Assuming I take the necessary tests, does anyone have any recent first hand experience in finding a job in Wake County going the lateral entry route?

Of course fully licensed would be preferable but is there any hope of getting to employment with just the tests and a software sales background on my resume? My bachelors is in marketing.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: My House
33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Reputation: 24400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rephillips80 View Post
Hello,

I was recently laid off from a job I absolutely hated and its made me think that I no longer want to spend my life doing something meaningless! I come from a family of teachers and most people assumed I would teach but the earnings potential made me go another route. However, after my last job, I'm much more concerned about liking life than the money.

I've seen posts about lateral entry certification on here that are a few years old at this point, and I've done a ton of research on the subject. Assuming I take the necessary tests, does anyone have any recent first hand experience in finding a job in Wake County going the lateral entry route?

Of course fully licensed would be preferable but is there any hope of getting to employment with just the tests and a software sales background on my resume? My bachelors is in marketing.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Seems like it would be a challenge without a degree in a subject area that is actually in demand.

Suggestion: enroll in a teacher Ed program. You could do lateral easier if you had a some basic coursework under your belt.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Reputation: 4122
This is not the best state for a teaching career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 01:09 PM
 
41 posts, read 74,134 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
This is not the best state for a teaching career.
I've been researching NC, and more specifically the Triangle, since I have a career opportunity that could bring my family to the area. Being married to a teacher, we're unfortunately reaching the same conclusion based on our research. Neither one of us was honestly expecting this to be the case. Color us very surprised and somewhat disheartened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3worker View Post
I've been researching NC, and more specifically the Triangle, since I have a career opportunity that could bring my family to the area. Being married to a teacher, we're unfortunately reaching the same conclusion based on our research. Neither one of us was honestly expecting this to be the case. Color us very surprised and somewhat disheartened.
State employees, as all NC teachers are, have a terrible work environment here thanks to our horrible legislature.

Possibly could change after next elections, but don't hold your breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,150 posts, read 3,816,470 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
State employees, as all NC teachers are, have a terrible work environment here thanks to our horrible legislature.

Possibly could change after next elections, but don't hold your breath.
I'm not a big fan of the current administration, but things were bad before the Republicans took over. I worked for the state for four years under the Democrats and never got a raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
47 posts, read 33,457 times
Reputation: 23
I pursued lateral entry in Charlotte through a program called Teach Charlotte, designed to get "non-traditional" teachers into the system for primarily challenged schools - areas in demand included math, science, ESL, and special ed. Maybe there is a similar program here in Wake County - Teach America (i think it is called) is I believe a similar program on a national basis.

Needless to say, I was disillusioned with the process - urban school districts are MORE than a challenge. You may want to consider charter/private schools, which a retired principal suggested to me.

My best to you in your endeavor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Reputation: 11064
Lateral entry is more for certain areas where they can't find enough certified teachers via the usual route. What field are you in? If it's a "STEM" subject, there could well be a chance. Otherwise, unlikely.

Also, Wake is one of the most "desirable" counties for teachers, so you might look into another nearby county that not so "hot", which could have more of a need for a desired subject area. I know someone in Wayne county (Goldsboro) who left Wake for there and likes that system better (he's a math teacher so probably could have gone anywhere) though he did have to move after commuting for a year <!>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Patrolling The Wasteland
397 posts, read 287,490 times
Reputation: 1176
Just to reiterate what was said above: rethink this.

I am a high school teacher and I can tell you that I love my subject and the actual practice of teaching, but that is sadly a very very small part of what I actually do. The job is, in a word, awful, at least in the current cultural and political environment. Lots of people around here seem to like bringing up the argument, "Well, it's not a teacher weighing in on the subject." Take it from a teacher: look into any of the other countless career paths that are actually respected and rewarded.

Beyond this, be prepared for a slog to find a job. Wake County is not easy to get into without connections, especially in a CTE field. As someone said above, you would almost be better served in one of the many counties surrounding Wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Finally in NC
1,337 posts, read 1,791,357 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Just to reiterate what was said above: rethink this.

I am a high school teacher and I can tell you that I love my subject and the actual practice of teaching, but that is sadly a very very small part of what I actually do. The job is, in a word, awful, at least in the current cultural and political environment. Lots of people around here seem to like bringing up the argument, "Well, it's not a teacher weighing in on the subject." Take it from a teacher: look into any of the other countless career paths that are actually respected and rewarded.

Beyond this, be prepared for a slog to find a job. Wake County is not easy to get into without connections, especially in a CTE field. As someone said above, you would almost be better served in one of the many counties surrounding Wake.
^^^^^^^^^

This. I LOVED teaching, loved the kids, but that was only a fraction of what I did. When I started teaching (in another state) I loved it. Then it slowly went from actually teaching to testing, numbers, no child left behind, and here it is even more about testing, paperwork, data.

Special ed in Wake does do lateral entry, but honestly, I came from a tough district with experience and found the teaching expectations and conditions here gruesome. I can't imagine going into that with no teacher training or experience.

We had a new hire TA who took the TA position until a real teaching position opened up. THE AP kept trying to talk her into going into special ed instead. She spent time in my resource room, saw what I was expected to do, and said, "NO WAY!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top