U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 04:34 PM

513 posts, read 547,591 times

Advertisements

So my heat pumps ac was not keeping up with the heat. Got a service call and they determined my unit was low on Freon. They filled up the Freon, but told me it was a temporary bandaid and that it would have to be replaced within a year. He said best case scenario would be to make it through this summer and refill the Freon again next summer and that would be the end of it. Iím not sure I buy that as there must be a way to look for the leak and repair it. However, he said the heat pumps typically last 12-14 years and mine is 20 years old. So HVAC experts, whats your opinion on the matter?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,682,175 times
The specific cause of the leakage can be determined-generally for a price. Sometimes you get lucky and it is something simple like a schrader valve. Other times, and far more likely, it will be a coil or compressor. While they can nearly always be repaired, a 20 year old unit will likely not be very efficient. The new units will significantly reduce you monthly bill. His comment that heat pumps typically last 12-14 years is reasonably accurate. Repair/replace---depends on if you are staying or leaving.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,924,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
So my heat pumps ac was not keeping up with the heat. Got a service call and they determined my unit was low on Freon. They filled up the Freon, but told me it was a temporary bandaid and that it would have to be replaced within a year. He said best case scenario would be to make it through this summer and refill the Freon again next summer and that would be the end of it. Iím not sure I buy that as there must be a way to look for the leak and repair it. However, he said the heat pumps typically last 12-14 years and mine is 20 years old. So HVAC experts, whats your opinion on the matter?
What company was this?The technician sounds honest. A dishonest tech would say it's dead you need a new unit now. Glad to hear they didn't try to take you for a ride.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
What company was this?The technician sounds honest. A dishonest tech would say it's dead you need a new unit now. Glad to hear they didn't try to take you for a ride.
I'm not going to say the company, because in all honesty, I am not sure if it would make them look god or bad.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,193,822 times
The coils rust, especially if they are located in unconditioned spaces (attic or unfinished basement). As the coils rust, pinhole leaks develop. (There are other leak causes, but all of the tines my unuts leaked the freon sniffing tool beeped loudest at the coil. Your recent topoff will last you some period of time before it leaks out again. (After all it leaked out in the first place).

For me, how long you planned to stay in residence would determine whether I kept adding freon or replaced system.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM

31,648 posts, read 55,388,070 times
I just had a pound of Freon added to a 22 year old unit.
We have been here almost 13 years, and that is the first time it has been checked in about 10-11 years.

Tech told me that adding less than a pound next year wouldn't be a worry, but if I have to add a couple of times, it is replacement time.

I'll run it a while.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just had a pound of Freon added to a 22 year old unit.
We have been here almost 13 years, and that is the first time it has been checked in about 10-11 years.

Tech told me that adding less than a pound next year wouldn't be a worry, but if I have to add a couple of times, it is replacement time.

I'll run it a while.
The tech did say it I have to add more freon this summer that it would definitely be replacement time.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Also, he said a new system would be ~5 grand. Does that sound about right?

Old 06-18-2015, 03:56 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,483,970 times
Time to replace your AC.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,647,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Also, he said a new system would be ~5 grand. Does that sound about right?
Depends on the brand and size of the new unit. A large house needs a large system. Some brands (e.g. Lennox) are priced higher; others (e.g. Goodman) are lower.

Get three bids on your new system. You may be surprised at the price spread.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary