U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
That is not completely true. It's been a while since I read the FairTax info, but I believe there is a prebate for low-income families and individuals to pay for necessities.
Prebate for ALL families. Just to be Fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
That's an unfair characterization.

You're attempting to debate the moral goodness of progressive taxes. Progressive taxes have been universally accepted since the early 1900's as being more fair. A billionaire's 20% is not a teacher's 20%.

Thus, FairTax is not fair.
"Progressive" income taxes are not inherently fair or desirable.

There. "Universal" is absolutely not true.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,676,833 times
I don't know what the answer is but can tell you that my tax bill (I pay every month) is insane! I certainly don't subscribe to the "universally accepted" progressive tax as being more fair. Everyone needs to have some skin in the game!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I don't know what the answer is but can tell you that my tax bill (I pay every month) is insane! I certainly don't subscribe to the "universally accepted" progressive tax as being more fair. Everyone needs to have some skin in the game!
You can't sell votes and keep your face in the trough with that attitude!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Unfortunately, tweaking the concept means that the floodgates of self-serving political manipulation and favoritism would crack open.
Seems to be the real problem (and it is not limited to one party or the other) about getting ANYTHING done. I have very little faith that common sense will prevail. We may get a new tax code (or healthcare, or economic policy, or or or) in name, but this will always be the reality.

Sad.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This:

Seems to be the real problem (and it is not limited to one party or the other) about getting ANYTHING done. I have very little faith that common sense will prevail. We may get a new tax code (or healthcare, or economic policy, or or or) in name, but this will always be the reality.

Sad.
Yep.
Politicos make a career out of convincing enough voters that, if elected, they will enable their constituency to take more out of the kitty than they contribute.
That fact is reflective of a human failing that crosses demographic, party, and ideological lines.
"Self-interest" pandering is powerful and foolproof political leverage.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM

2,280 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Just when you thought our government couldn't do any worse, it's back to the old game.

Many of the teaching assistants in the schools will be laid off.

Drivers' ed will go up from $50 to about $400 so many families will not be able to afford it.

These legislators need to be gone next year.
I am furious at the proposal to cut all TA's. They have no intention of reducing class size so TA's are necessary. I love how the Republicans got themselves re-elected claiming they were the only ones to give raises to teachers, they should have mentioned not for the experienced ones. They are denying raises to teachers with over 25 years experience in their budget proposal

I can't understand why this stuff does not show up on the news. I can't find it on WRAL only on WNCN. Do people realize that when our school districts start tanking so will home values. Plus, everyone gets pissy that the county needs to raise taxes, look at this budget and you will understand why. We have to fund our own districts here because the state does not value education.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM

148 posts, read 295,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
A billionaire's 20% is not a teacher's 20%.
I have to disagree. By the mathematical principal it is exactly the same, and has the exact same proportional weight.

It is the cleanest form of taxation where there are no loopholes and hidden deceitful principles. Everyone should have to shoulder their proportional role in providing the operating expenses for our government.

The way it is structured now, the wealthy pay for the staggering majority of programs that they will never utilize or benefit from.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,484,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I am furious at the proposal to cut all TA's. They have no intention of reducing class size so TA's are necessary. I love how the Republicans got themselves re-elected claiming they were the only ones to give raises to teachers, they should have mentioned not for the experienced ones. They are denying raises to teachers with over 25 years experience in their budget proposal

I can't understand why this stuff does not show up on the news. I can't find it on WRAL only on WNCN. Do people realize that when our school districts start tanking so will home values. Plus, everyone gets pissy that the county needs to raise taxes, look at this budget and you will understand why. We have to fund our own districts here because the state does not value education.
Might just stop growth. Bravo!

Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I have to disagree. By the mathematical principal it is exactly the same, and has the exact same proportional weight.

It is the cleanest form of taxation where there are no loopholes and hidden deceitful principles. Everyone should have to shoulder their proportional role in providing the operating expenses for our government.

The way it is structured now, the wealthy pay for the staggering majority of programs that they will never utilize or benefit from.
Except the teacher's pay is going almost all to satisfying Maslow's most basic needs (Shelter, food, etc.) so that 20% carries more importance than the billionaires 20% which is spent on getting a bigger yacht than he had last year, and upgrading his Bentley to the 2016 model so his driver doesn't have to suffer the travesty of driving an old jalopy.

I guess it is subjective as to which of those things are more important, or if they are the same. I know that I have my opionion. (Forget about the fact that the billionaire couldn't make his billiions without a workforce trained by the teacher, and likely couldn't make his billions without the assist of people working for much lower wages, and without a middle class with disposable income to buy whatever it is he is selling.)

I wish the NC GA would think about those things before all the jobs (and the billionaires) go somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary