Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times

Advertisements

Yup, I agree with what's being said here; the biggest hurdle in Passive Optical Networks is the last mile of fiber. That's why I keep advocating for construction of new homes in areas where the fiber backbone is already in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:30 PM

115 posts, read 277,090 times
A Raleigh official said Google Fiber probably won't be available for at least 2 years.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
A Raleigh official said Google Fiber probably won't be available for at least 2 years.
Why so long of a wait? It seems like going by Google's past expansion in other cities, we would be able to sign up pretty soon.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
I've mentioned it before, but that Raleigh official was likely just speaking off the top of his head with no more real info than we have here in this thread. He also stated that Google had not begun work in Raleigh when they had in fact started more than a month prior and had at least one fiber hut, at Eastgate Park set by then. They have been working more and more in Raleigh since that time. It would be a vastly longer timeline than the other fiber cities if it's that long.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why so long of a wait? It seems like going by Google's past expansion in other cities, we would be able to sign up pretty soon.
To me looking at the previous three locations, Kansas City, Austin and Provo that the setup time could be somewhat variable depending on how big of an area they are going into, what was already there and how easy or hard digging into the soil to the lay the fiber would be. I think 1 and a half to 2 years after they first started laying the lines doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
They are laying the conduit right know on Edenburgh, our street is off of that, so in assuming we will have the option once it's available. Can't wait to cut cable!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM

85 posts, read 94,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
They are laying the conduit right know on Edenburgh, our street is off of that, so in assuming we will have the option once it's available. Can't wait to cut cable!
Last week, we had cable installed at the entrance of our neighborhood off Penny Rd, but pretty sure it was AT&T. No one was wearing any identifying clothing, but AT&T had recently delivered info cards, stating UVerse was coming (hubby tossed it so I don't know any details of what it said.)

I had so hoped it was Google, but it doesn't seem likely, given the postcard we received. Over the weekend, more lines were painted in the neighborhood, so I imagine they are coming back sometime soon, to do more work. If so, I will try to confirm for whom they are working and post again, for anyone in this area.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM

18,076 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I saw black conduit being installed a couple streets over, so I know that's not Google Fiber. Must be AT&T.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM

115 posts, read 277,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've mentioned it before, but that Raleigh official was likely just speaking off the top of his head with no more real info than we have here in this thread. He also stated that Google had not begun work in Raleigh when they had in fact started more than a month prior and had at least one fiber hut, at Eastgate Park set by then. They have been working more and more in Raleigh since that time. It would be a vastly longer timeline than the other fiber cities if it's that long.
Posters on DSL Reports who live in areas where Google Fiber is installed have been waiting over a year AFTER they signed up for service.

This is the official who stated the 2 years away timeline:
Quote:
Noah Otto, city of Raleigh Right-of-Way Services Coordinator, says that while Google contractors have broken ground in Raleigh, it’s a lengthy process to get from moving dirt to connecting customers.
“Right now, we’re looking at at least two years, if not longer,” he says. “It’s all throughout Raleigh. It’s a pretty large plan.”
He's saying work has begun, and it'll still be 2+ years before we get service. I have to think the city's R/W Coordinator has much more information on what's going on vs people in this thread.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
That's a different quote than the original one attributed to him. Either way, I don't think he knows Google's plans one way or the other. It may well be two years before anyone gets it and it will definitely be longer for them to get most of Raleigh done. Also, keep in mind there are several municipalities they are working in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary