U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 04:53 PM

3,810 posts, read 4,046,068 times

Advertisements

It will never happen. Verizon has repeatedly scaled back Fios deployment plans. $1 of capital invested in their wireless network generates far more profit than $1 of capital invested in Fios. Many people in the telecom industry doubted from the beginning that Fios made any financial sense, and to some extent the critics have been proved right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM

14,124 posts, read 12,844,358 times
Google Fiber's Triangle footprint slowly taking root

Google Fiber's Triangle footprint slowly taking root :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM

183 posts, read 186,062 times
Personal peeve:

People complaining about the public housing effort. You don't like that they're providing the service to low income folks? Too bad. How people can be so jealous of low income residents for receiving service that will improve their lives and the community as a whole is just beyond me.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM

34,863 posts, read 34,435,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Personal peeve:

People complaining about the public housing effort. You don't like that they're providing the service to low income folks? Too bad. How people can be so jealous of low income residents for receiving service that will improve their lives and the community as a whole is just beyond me.
Yeah, that annoys me, too.

Then, I realize that some folks are about a paycheck away from being able to qualify for public housing, but they have to pay the same for Google Fiber as I do and it does help me understand why they feel like they do, even if I don't agree with them.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:42 PM

183 posts, read 186,062 times
Truth. Connectivity is a huge game changer for education and upward mobility. You would hope an area flourishing from technology would be in tune with this, but I guess that's ambitious.

I for one, am excited about the opportunity and future innovation the fiber movement will bring to the triangle.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 PM

34,863 posts, read 34,435,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Truth. Connectivity is a huge game changer for education and upward mobility. You would hope an area flourishing from technology would be in tune with this, but I guess that's ambitious.

I for one, am excited about the opportunity and future innovation the fiber movement will bring to the triangle.
I think this is why you see the more manipulative "leaders" trying to keep advancements like that away from poorer areas. Attempts to keep people uneducated.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:29 PM

8,945 posts, read 13,726,056 times
So, people are honestly mad about the fiber to low income areas thing? I mean they realize that Google is a private company and can do what they want right? And do they realize we've all been paying for some extent for the old school phone companies to do something similar for decades right? And that at least until recently, they would give anyone free service if they paid up front right?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:04 PM

57 posts, read 66,030 times
Default Google Fiber car sighted in Cameron Park area

Out walking, my wife saw a Google Fiber car in the Cameron Park neighborhood, near central Raleigh. No cable laying trucks yet, however.

- Phil

Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,662,676 times
Minor correction, Google is certainly not a private company, their leadership answers to their BoD, they all collectively as an organization answer to their shareholders. Just clarifying so no one is confused.

Funny, I clicked this thread and thought "is this ever gonna happen or what?" and the first post of the page starts with "this is never gonna happen" ha!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 AM

8,945 posts, read 13,726,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Minor correction, Google is certainly not a private company, their leadership answers to their BoD, they all collectively as an organization answer to their shareholders. Just clarifying so no one is confused.

Funny, I clicked this thread and thought "is this ever gonna happen or what?" and the first post of the page starts with "this is never gonna happen" ha!
True enough. But from what little I saw, it's not the shareholders complaining, it's random people like this is tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary