U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 AM

279 posts, read 238,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Still not ready to jump ship and almost double my bill for gigabit internet. I'm only paying $54 for TW right now. No idea how much data I use with them.
You can check your data usage if you login and go to My Internet. The Usage tracker should be the first thing at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM

860 posts, read 1,366,555 times
For what it's worth, I finally asked the people who have been laying fiber along West Chatham and now Cary Parkway who they're laying fiber for, and the answer is AT&T. The guy said that his crew is laying trunk lines, not the fiber into the neighborhoods. Another crew would come by and do that later on. I did see what looked like another crew starting to lay fiber up Leckford Way, I will make a point to ask what they're up to tomorrow morning.

Also as a note, Cary Parkway was closed near there for a couple hours this morning because that crew hit a two inch gas main.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:58 PM

6,282 posts, read 7,965,830 times
There's been major communication-related construction and delays on Chapel Hill Blvd between Maynard Rd and Cary Parkway with multiple crews. Down to one lane last week with long backups in both directions. They've moved a bit closer to Maynard Rd this week. No idea if this is Google or AT&T. The conduit is orange but they're also digging up the street itself.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM

7,669 posts, read 10,031,237 times
Could be either one of them in that spot. They hit a good sized gas line a week or two ago and shut the road down. Then last week they hit some existing fiber and cut off a ton of people.

Att just started within my neighborhood off Morrisville Carpenter last week.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM

545 posts, read 602,206 times
Not only is Google laying orange flags in my neighborhood but I got a notice from ATT they will also be laying fiber and pardon the yard mess.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 AM

2,460 posts, read 2,819,068 times
AT&T has had fiber in my neighborhood for about 10 years. Just down the main road. They dropped the ball waiting so long to offer it to homes. I would not consider them at this point. I'll just wait for GF.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Not only is Google laying orange flags in my neighborhood but I got a notice from ATT they will also be laying fiber and pardon the yard mess.
Be glad ATT let you know. They just started in my neighborhood with no notice. They just showed up one day and started parking heavy equipment on top of sprinkler heads.

So far, Google's contractors seem much more careful than ATT's. There are no supervisory personnel evident at all.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:51 AM

279 posts, read 238,865 times
The AT&T contractors that laid the fiber at my house did a great job. You can barely even tell that they dug in the yard. I was pretty surprised after reading all of the negative reviews. They left a door hanger a couple days before with the name of the crew doing the work and a phone number to contact for any issues.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM

432 posts, read 863,702 times
Still no activity at all around my neighborhood in NE Raleigh. I haven't tried to go find the Google Fiber Hut which is less than 2 miles from my development to see if they have started with it yet, so who knows what the plans are at this point.

I did see some fiber contractors on the perimeter of my development on Forestville Rd and wondered who they were but I saw an AT&T truck parked in the same general location a few days later so I think that answered that question.

AT&T already has fiber to the curb in my development and has refused to upgrade us to UVERSE so Im holding out hope that Google comes in. Would be a shame to be on the outside looking in again.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
The AT&T contractors that laid the fiber at my house did a great job. You can barely even tell that they dug in the yard. I was pretty surprised after reading all of the negative reviews. They left a door hanger a couple days before with the name of the crew doing the work and a phone number to contact for any issues.
It does seem to be very crew or subcontractor specific. Google also seems to have some great and some horrible experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or