Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 02:19 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My personal belief is that in the next decade, we won't get internet to the house like we do now. Your "modem" will not be a modem. It will be your mobile phone, or maybe just built into your house or appliances, and I am fairly confident (based on opinion and not much else) that in 10 years your internet will not be served by wire at all, or if it is, it won't be a dedicated line. I think that in our lifetime, it is reasonable to expect that new houses will be 100% wireless, even the power source.
There will probably still be a central device (eg router) to be able hand out private IP addresses. While there are now a bazillion IPs available due to IPV6, I think most devices inside a home or business will still use a private IP address, which must be administered via some device.

Various flavors of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) have been available for awhile. I don't follow it close enough to know if they have worked around the roadblocks caused by transformers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
ALL:

Please, share with the rest of us what apps/devices you use in household that uses all that bandwidth.

Thanks!
4 TVs (3 with Apple TV units, we don't do cable), 5 laptops, 2 desktop computers, 5 iPads, and 5 iPhones. We have 3 WAPs because we cannot get our wireless signal to carry around the whole house, but all the rooms are also wired.

Oh... forgot... some security cameras.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, I had my install. Up till now, they came last year and ran the main,ones but overall were careful in my yard. There was a different crew in the neighborhood that wasn't quite as good, but both were better than ATT's crews, although they all seem to hit existing utilities sometimes. Then a few weeks ago, once the signups started after a couple weeks, they came to run the fiber to the side of the house. Combination of using had tools to cut a slit in the yard and a machine to go under the sidewalks. Overall, no problems. Then a few days after that, they set the box on the side of the house and a day or so later, I was able to schedule the actual install.

That ended up being today. It took the tech under 2 hours and involved him going under the house to run a line from the outside box to a fiber jack inside my closet and install their box inside and connected to my network. Very courteous and knowledgeable tech.

This is the result. I literally laughed out loud when the Speedtest meter instantly pegged and complete each test in about 5 seconds where with Time Warner it would take over a minute. This is over wifi on an iPhone 7. My computer that's hard wired is getting over 950 Mbps.
Can you tell me how long was the wait after the sign ups in your neighborhood closed? Google Fiber will be available in my new neighborhood, but I'm worried there will be a a gap from the time we move in and they install. Sign ups in North Hills close March 30, and we'll likely move in the beginning of April.

Just trying to figure out if I should sign up for some sort of gap internet service. I work from home, so it would be tough without internet.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:48 PM

141 posts, read 163,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
The ridiculous data caps on wireless internet are going to have to be removed before they are a serious option for home use. 15-20 gb's isn't going to cut it for most users as a primary means of internet.
Bingo. Unfortunately the trend seems to skew against that, even with wired Internet connections *cough*Comcast*cough*. I think a more realistic 10 year expectation is to expect basically what we have today, but it'll just be faster, for both wired and wireless Internet connections. And we definitely won't have completely wireless power 10 years from now.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Can you tell me how long was the wait after the sign ups in your neighborhood closed? Google Fiber will be available in my new neighborhood, but I'm worried there will be a a gap from the time we move in and they install. Sign ups in North Hills close March 30, and we'll likely move in the beginning of April.

Just trying to figure out if I should sign up for some sort of gap internet service. I work from home, so it would be tough without internet.
Install Time Warner since they do not make you sign a contract.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:30 PM

149 posts, read 206,774 times
That is probably the only reason why I'm staying with TWC. I'm hoping (apparently against some significant odds) that sometime within the next year, we'll be seeing more sign-ups in other areas.

I admit it can be a little frustrating to find out more details about where Google Fiber is planning to expand next. That map provides some help, but is still pretty murky as to timelines. I did find that Raleigh has permits for the eight fiber huts in Raleigh. I guess that's encouraging. The people at the Fiber Space on West Jones St. don't know the details themselves ... only that it could take years to get this all finished. I asked them what my area is even called. I'm obviously not in the Morrisville or North Hills areas, even though they're not so far from me, so ... what IS my area name? They couldn't say that either.

Morrisville and North Hills are both good news and a wee bit vexing news ... so close, and yet so far!

(I'm sure this link has been cited several times already, but http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...n-raleigh.html)

The Bizjournal link previously cited does have CACs and designated outlined areas (extremely helpful, by the way ... thank you!) , but the CACs in the article don't match the ones http://www.raleighnc.gov/cac. I'm probably missing something, though.

Last edited by gazania; 02-11-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
The Bizjournal link previously cited does have CACs and designated outlined areas (extremely helpful, by the way ... thank you!) , but the CACs in the article don't match the ones Citizens Advisory Councils | raleighnc.gov. I'm probably missing something, though.
Where in the Bizjournal link does it reference CACs???? Am I missing something?

Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 PM

149 posts, read 206,774 times
I meant the Bechtel map in this link that OlderHome posted some time back: http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...s-raleigh.html

Sorry!

We spoke to people at AT&T today. Why oh why must reps omit information, evade direct questions and kinda fudge (or in the case of TWC, outright lie) when we're trying to gather information? At first, one guy said one year for cable, but then another guy told us that if we got Direct TV, it would be two years. And AT&T DOES push that DirectTV!

I was initially confused .... where was U-Verse? It seems that things changed since I last looked:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...toward-directv

If I recall when I checked some time ago, U-VERSE was a yearly commitment, but Direct TV is a two-year.

Now I see why TWC is charging so much. When it comes to cable boxes, until Google Fiber comes to town, there isn't much competition.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Att has decided to try to get people on DIRECTV for video since they bought them and ruined their customer service (which was already on the decline compared to when we signed up for them in the early 2000s.)

Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
My last Directv bill had a increase so I called to see if they would adjust my bill. I am one of the lucky N Hills area residents so I can sign up for Google fiber right now. With that knowledge I figures I would just cancel Directv if they wouldn't lower my bill.

Sure enough they gave me a great discount. My ISP is TW-RR 100-10 which is plenty for me and (knock on wood) solid as a rock.

I also like my current Directv programming package (ETRA). If I had switched to Google I would have lost MASN and if you are a Nats or Orioles fan that is a big deal. Can't wait until Google fiber is actually up and running and see what the reviews are. It sure is nice to have a few choices. Even though I didn't sign up with Google they indirectly are saving me several hundred dollars a year by just being here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary