U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM

71 posts, read 54,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbst09 View Post
My wife and I went on Tue around 11:00 am and it was not too crowded. The food line started to grow around lunchtime but still not too bad. We had the Korean fried chicken at one stand and a beef Udon soup at another. We both liked H-Mart a lot but overall we prefer the food at Grand Asia. We will probably go to Grand Asia 75% of the time and to H-Mart the rest of the time.
That's certainly a valid opinion...the food at Grand Asia is very good...but just so that others are clear, it's apples and oranges. Grand Asia is mainly Chinese, with some dim sum and bakery items. H-Mart is predominantly Korean and Japanese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM

142 posts, read 116,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I actually opted for Korean food in the long line, but am interested in checking out the ramen next time. I don't think cash only is a permanent thing, but it looks like they aren't set up with the rest of the system for right now. Either way it might be worth checking out if only to avoid the line and fighting for seats. They had their own seating area.
Thanks for responding to my Q! yeah, that seating area was deserted except one dude sitting (and he wasn't eating), so I bought a pack of frozen ramen instead and cooked at home

Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,714,982 times
Went there between Christmas and New Years Day. Parking wasn't terrible, there are people constantly leaving and entering so you will find a spot. The cashiers are quick and noticed that if they can't scan the product you get they will just give it to you (probably a part of the growing pains)...didn't realize until we left the place, but noticed she was having trouble scanning. The produce selection is great, and certain things are quite helpful for those with an eastern tastebud. Cabbage, Mushrooms, asian eggplan, pomegranate, unusual beef cuts, and seafood are a must see. There is a beauty shop near the entrance. Don't grab beauty products and try and check out at the front, you have to pay for those at the beauty shop and they will give you a separate basket for that while you're perusing. Will be back, but definitely not a peak hours. I hope to check out the restaurants and bakery as well.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,022 times
Very happy about this H-mart - as an admitted transplant, while there are a number of Asian grocery stores in the area, none could rival the selection seen by stores in the northeast (especially coming from living in a NYC chinatown).

For the area, selection is quite good and the amount of traffic is store is seeing quite now means that there's good turnover in products. There are some products I would get a Grand Asia sometimes that were clearly sitting for awhile (ie, expired).

Food area is great, although seating can be tricky. Will definitely try take-out at somepoint.

Bulgolgi beef from the tofu house was well received by the SO. I very much like the Kitsune Udon at one of the other stalls (one of my favorite versions of udon with salty/sweet seasoned fried tofu).

Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,292,870 times
The recommendations have been helpful, looking fwd to checking it out. Thanks to those who shared their reviews!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 AM

14 posts, read 34,108 times
Made my first stop yesterday.

Can anyone tell me, what is the correct procedure in the fish department? I thought help would be offered after staring at the whole fish for a while, but nobody spoke to us.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

235 posts, read 368,518 times
been there 5 times since Jan 1st
Had the Tonkotsu Ramen (quite good), Curry Ramen (my kids love this), Hot and Spicy Chicken (super spicy, not for the weak ), Chicken Bulgogi (sizzling and very good), Gyudon (my daughter loved it the first time, but for some reason, the second time we orderd it, it didn't taste the same), Katsu Curry Don (I'll be back for this ) . My wife tried the Udon, Donburi, Taiyaki, Bibimbap etc.

I've always paid with card at the Ramen shop.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,468,067 times
GF and I went today, we shared Beef Udon and a Beef/Tofu Bibimbop dish. both were stellar.

One downside was that it was COLD in there. Like probably in the 40's inside. We both had on layers AND winter jackets, and still froze. Service was a little chaotic, but we went just after lunch, so the lines were not too long (5 minutes), but I think they were still recovering.

Even though I pointed out a few cons to our experience, I was really pleased, and can't wait to go back. Hopefully the cold was just because the outside temp was around 20, and the doors were open a lot due to high traffic. EG: Not so bad on a normal day.

All in all, it confirms how lucky we are to have this place. (and then we grocery shopped for a few things. Fun, but cut short due to brutal cold. LOL.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Went there today and the line for the food court was out the door, but I waited - so fun! I was a shameless glutton and got both the fried chicken AND vegetable ramen from the ramen counter on the other side of the produce.

I'd go there all the time if I lived in Cary, but I can get most of the same ingredients near me in Durham, so I probably won't. We don't have that food court, though. Definitely want to go back and try more from the food court. Everything coming out of Tofu House looked and smelled amazing.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
DPK

3,144 posts, read 3,429,214 times
We went last night and the place is still crazy with parking and people inside. We're what, about a month in now? I'm pretty impressed with the sustainability of traffic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary