Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,507 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one here that watches WNCN???? I especially like their weather folks and morning anchor, Stefan Chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2UglyMen View Post
Jackie Hyland was way too classy IMHO for Raleigh. She was highly paid and other anchors found out. The other anchor at night makes nothing she has been there for an eternity, is overweight and so homey looking.
Okay, I'll bite.

That's awful, just plain awful. If you're watching the news simply to stare at attractive women just switch on Fox News, that's their main criteria for hiring any of their on-air female talent.

Her size and attractiveness is largely irrelevant, or at least should be.

And I'm assuming you meant to suggest she was "homely", not "homey". That slight misspelling really confuses your position for us readers.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Okay, I'll bite.

That's awful, just plain awful. If you're watching the news simply to stare at attractive women just switch on Fox News, that's their main criteria for hiring any of their on-air female talent.

And I'm assuming you meant to suggest she was "homely", not "homey". That slight misspelling really confuses your position for us readers.
Thank you.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
Am I the only one here that watches WNCN???? I especially like their weather folks and morning anchor, Stefan Chase.
There's you and a couple other people keeping WNCN in business.

I live in Greenville and watch WRAL because the news product is better than what we have locally. That said I find that WNCN's sister station down here (WNCT-9/Greenville) puts out a more professional product than they do. WNCN looks so small market.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:40 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Commendable, but ultimately naive at least in terms of Tee Vee news.

As much as we'd like to believe in our better angels, it comes down to a couple of things. If you're serious about doing meaningful journalism, you're probably not working in television news. The extension of that is if you are working in television news you are practicing your trade in a business where appearance matters at least as much if not more than your journalistic chops. It's the nature of the beast.

Don't mistake my comment as condoning it whatsoever. Nothing would be better than to walk into a newspaper newsroom, a radio newsroom and a television newsroom and not know the difference based on the appearance of the employees. I'd also be thrilled if the journalistic standards were one in the same as well. At the end of the day, the only solace is knowing it's not the players, but the game. I honestly think readers/listeners/viewers make a bigger issue of it than those in the industry, if for no other reason than they know the game.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM

186 posts, read 331,055 times
I liked Ms. Hyland, beyond her attractive appearance, sorry to see her go. She didn't get all "tee hee" like so many other nitwit female anchors seem to be required to do these days. And....I watch WNCN-17 news @ 700pm, and usually turn to WTVD for the news update....WTVD seems to actually cover unfolding real news, especially around Cary. Although I get most of my news from CNBC business channel....at least that kind of news might help me make a little $$.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Raleigh needs some hot MEN news anchors!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM

94 posts, read 104,929 times
Who is this supposed overweight anchor at WRAL?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
Who is this supposed overweight anchor at WRAL?
He was probably referring to Debra Morgan, who is hardly overweight in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I watch WNCN. They are more serious and news-y to me. Stefan Chase is a great addition.

The other morning, WRAL covered the opening of an elementary school in Cary, while WNCN was airing a story about something more newsworthy to more people - forgot what it was to be honest, but definitely something a little more substantive.

Also, WRAL seems to forget Durham exists except for the crime there. I like Greg Fischel though and the WRAL weather team.

Not a fan of this dissecting female anchors' appearances. Do it to the men too if you're going to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary