Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM

169 posts, read 419,066 times

Advertisements

I'm so confused. I get a mailer from them today, and it talks about gigabit fiber. I check out their site, http://centurylink.com/fiber and it says I can get gigabit fiber in Flower's Plantation. I just find it hard to believe that I haven't heard anything about this, and that it's actually available. Anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Just to follow up. I talked to them this morning, and have an install date of July 1st for 1gb up/down in Flower's Plantation. Rubbing it in to all my co-workers how I got fiber before them (WF, Cary, inside the beltline).

Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Yep, it's been available for months. But it doesn't have Google in the name so it doesn't get the same attention.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:32 PM

33 posts, read 59,680 times
Yeah I was also surprised to hear about this. I saw it on CenturyLink's website when I put in my address and didn't believe it. I tried to find news articles about it to verify, but could not find any article at all that mentioned it. So strange. It is true, though. I'd be interested to hear from people who have it, or even another speed tier. Is it reliable? Any issues/problem with the company in general? I've heard some bad things about the company.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,599 times
I have a friend who works remotely for a tech company from his house in Clayton, using CenturyLink gigabit fiber. He doesn't complain about it. Insane speeds, he says.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:55 AM

I am following up to say that I thought no company could be worse than Time Warner Cable, and Centurylink seems to be giving them a run for their money. I have had install dates of July 1st, 3rd, 11th, 28th, 29th. I took off work for three of those, including today. I've called before every single one to make sure they were going to happen. I called on the 27th and was told it was the 29th now. I called on the 28th and talked to a supervisor, she told me that there was nothing pending this time (previously people had said that but she said there was pending stuff). Today happens and I call to see if it's going to happen, and the supervisor says 2 hours after I talked to her they changed it to the 11th. I am with my 3rd supervisor. I told them I am canceling if they can't get someone out today. I have taken off THREE days of work for this garbage. They are COMPLETELY unorganized, their process is COMPLETELY broken. I haven't been as irate as I am today in over a decade. I would steer clear of these guys. I have been frustrated but civil towards them FYI. I've told them multiple times I am willing to wait, but I am not willing to be stood up over and over. I keep asking, "Why should I not cancel this? Why should I believe someone will actually be out on August 11th?" and they just sit there.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
You're better than me, I probably would have lost it on them after the second change.

Are they usually that bad or is it because everyone wants on the new service?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
You're better than me, I probably would have lost it on them after the second change.

Are they usually that bad or is it because everyone wants on the new service?
I am fuming. I don't know why, but I just agreed to Friday. This will be the FOURTH day I've taken off work for this. I'm ready to punch someone right now, it took every bit of self control to not just start shouting at this guy with explicatives.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
I am fuming. I don't know why, but I just agreed to Friday. This will be the FOURTH day I've taken off work for this. I'm ready to punch someone right now, it took every bit of self control to not just start shouting at this guy with explicatives.
If this kind of self control is the norm down there, I'm going to have a very hard time fitting in. When I'm paying for a service and am taken advantage of, or not getting what I deserve, I get pushy. Very pushy.

Can you work from home?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
If this kind of self control is the norm down there, I'm going to have a very hard time fitting in. When I'm paying for a service and am taken advantage of, or not getting what I deserve, I get pushy. Very pushy.

Can you work from home?
I can, but I have a lot of client on site engagements, and I don't like to have to work from home a ton because then when I need to do it I feel like I've done it too much. I was supposed to be doing a client migration Friday, but am going to have to have someone else do it so I can be here. It sucks because any other service I would have just said cancel it and F off, but it's gigabit fiber... I mean, that's something I've dreamed of for years, and something I didn't think I'd ever see 10 years ago. The speed is nice, but that latency, droooooooooool. I just hope their service is better than their customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary