Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,564,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
...or you know, people could watch where they're driving. Ermurgurd crazy concept.

That requires to much responsibility. I think you are expecting way too much from Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
...or you know, people could watch where they're driving. Ermurgurd crazy concept.
Did you see the video of the guy who drove over an opening drawbridge in FL (I think)? It was on the Today Show this morning. Absolutely hilarious. Says he was looking his GPS. Yeah, right.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...#__federated=1

Old 06-30-2015, 06:18 AM

703 posts, read 777,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The problem is on the road from Old Wake Forest Rd to Walmart and then to the 540 entrances. You turn left just before Target to get on this road. First right is the gulch, second right Walmart.

It is not fixed. Two portable barricades were put up at the end of the stub road after I notified DOT and the shopping strip owner. but blew over into the gulch in strong winds. i got them upright several times but it was a losing battle.

As the DOT contractor was painting the right arrow, I asked the foreman why this was being done when the stub road went nowhere. He had no answer.

I use Walmart several times a week and see this useless road stub every time.
It's only useless until something gets developed there. Would you rather they tear up perfectly good curb, sidewalk and infrastructure when they do build out this section? An exact same "road to nowhere" was also originally established just around the corner on Old Wake Forest Road, but now leads to a new apartment complex (Sterling TownCenter Apts - I know, another piece of junk apartment complex thrown up by greedy developers). You can see both "roads to nowhere" on this Google view: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8683.../data=!3m1!1e3. Since this satellite view is several years old, the apartment complex is not there yet. But if you switch to street view, you can see a more recent Google view, and the apartment complex that now exists there.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,896,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Did you see the video of the guy who drove over an opening drawbridge in FL
I did...and I think I would have gotten off that bridge before stopping the car

Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times
One thing I do agree about with the OP (though it was written differently) is that our area does not do a stellar job with signage. For someone driving in a new-for-them area, there is much to be desired. The OP writes of a case where the stub road might mislead someone new into thinking it is a turn off that goes somewhere. And then it doesn't, except sometimes right into a ditch. Where I have run into trouble is when driving in leftmost lanes when there are two or more and having that left straight-ahead suddenly become a left turn only lane. That forces the driver to throw himself at the mercy of other drivers to let him get back into a straight-ahead lane or to get really balled up turning left. Years ago this was not a problem as other drivers were much more considerate, would see you had a problem and let you move to their lane. Now many drivers act like they own the road and to heck with you. Or, they are to busy on their phones to see what is happening around them.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
It's only useless until something gets developed there. Would you rather they tear up perfectly good curb, sidewalk and infrastructure when they do build out this section? An exact same "road to nowhere" was also originally established just around the corner on Old Wake Forest Road, but now leads to a new apartment complex (Sterling TownCenter Apts - I know, another piece of junk apartment complex thrown up by greedy developers). You can see both "roads to nowhere" on this Google view: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8683.../data=!3m1!1e3. Since this satellite view is several years old, the apartment complex is not there yet. But if you switch to street view, you can see a more recent Google view, and the apartment complex that now exists there.
Nothing should have been built there except a curb until it was time to actually build a road. The road stub, sidewalk stub, and stop sign were all stupidly added at the same time.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,717,969 times
But then people would complain that the road was narrowed down to add the new lane, especially if it was soon after the road was built, which I am sure was the original plan. Overall, this is much safer as now, when something is built, the chance they have to narrow the road down and expose drivers to the Constuction equipment and unfinished roads and the workers to drivers that are evidently not capable of telling where a road is or is not is greatly diminished or eliminated.

I tell you, people just can't win. Oh that's right, you're here now, so all other development should just cease so it wouldn't matter.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But then people would complain that the road was narrowed down to add the new lane, especially if it was soon after the road was built, which I am sure was the original plan. Overall, this is much safer as now, when something is built, the chance they have to narrow the road down and expose drivers to the Constuction equipment and unfinished roads and the workers to drivers that are evidently not capable of telling where a road is or is not is greatly diminished or eliminated.

I tell you, people just can't win. Oh that's right, you're here now, so all other development should just cease so it wouldn't matter.
It's not a new lane. It's a separate road opening on the right.

Went to Walmart this morning. Nothing has changed.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:35 PM

703 posts, read 777,610 times
So now with a bit more clarity, let's go back and examine the OP's OP...

Quote:
Several years ago, Walmart opened near Triangle Town Center.,

In great brilliance, DOT put in a spur road just before the road to Walmart. The phony road goes about 1,500 feet and ends in a drop into a gully. It was set up for future use but this has not happened.
- Firstly, this was clearly not NC DOT, so you're not doing yourself any favors by sarcastically referring to anyone's else's "brilliance".
- Secondly, this road goes less than 100 feet and nowhere near 1,500 feet, so you're wrong there too.

The folks put a right turn arrow in front of the road to nowhere, a stub of phony sidewalk, and a stop sign. No street lights to save the unfortunate who turns in there.

Luckily, though many have turned in, nobody I know of has wound up in the gulch.
- Seriously, "MANY" have turned in there? How could you possibly know that?

I called DOT, the property owner, and TV stations. DOT did put up temporary barricades before the gulch which blew over in storms and are gone.
- Oh, the horror!! This did not make the news or garner any attention? So very hard to believe !!!

What a bunch of fools.
- Yes, it's clearly amazing everyone is not blessed with your brilliance and concern regarding immensely trivial matters such as this.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:51 PM

9,141 posts, read 14,717,969 times
Quote:
It's not a new lane. It's a separate road opening on the right.

Went to Walmart this morning. Nothing has changed.
What I am saying is if the turn lane and stub were not put in when the road was built, but instead were put in later, then the lane closure and Constuction would take place at the time when it was added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary