Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:05 PM

248 posts, read 494,603 times

Advertisements

Looks like more details have been added to the story since my last post.

The question I have now is, that if a person is intentionally selling drugs, and gets killed in an accident that resulted from decisions they made (like hanging onto a moving truck), doesn't it start to imply that a good portion of the responsibility of the death rests with the victim?

It really doesn't matter that the victim is a young white female, a drug dealer makes their decisions and takes their risks accordingly. A drug dealer who decides to jump onto a fleeing truck has then taken on a whole new level of life threatening risk before anything else happens.

Generally the law regards sellers of drugs much more harshly than buyers of drugs or cases of theft under a certain value amount.

I can't help but get the impression that the victim was about 70% responsible for her own death. The others involved definitely need to pay for the additional 30%, but I'm seeing exoneration written all over this case if they bring them to trial on trumped up murder charges. No doubt, the hit and run charges by themselves are quite serious but I still don't know all the details there.

Hopefully they will come up with something that more reasonably describes the situation and stops sending messages that if you're a teenage white female it's okay to deal drugs because you'll ultimately be judged by cute selfies instead of your actions.

I feel horrible for all the families involved, sellers and buyers.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post

I can't help but get the impression that the victim was about 70% responsible for her own death. The others involved definitely need to pay for the additional 30%,
you're joking right ? this girl is robbed and punched in the face being thrown off a moving vehicle and it's 70% her fault

Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
you're joking right ? this girl is robbed and punched in the face being thrown off a moving vehicle and it's 70% her fault
She signed up to sell drugs, and she jumped on a moving vehicle for crying out loud. Opting out of either one of those and she wouldn't be dead.

Who do you think forced her to do these things?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
She signed up to sell drugs, and she jumped on a moving vehicle for crying out loud. Opting out of either one of those and she wouldn't be dead.

Who do you think forced her to do these things?
All of these will be used by the defense attorneys to plead down, the defendants will turn on each other etc etc and the victims parents will want the case to go away with as little smear as possible. None of those kids are going away for first degree murder, but the driver/owner of the truck will have some problems.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
All of these will be used by the defense attorneys to plead down, the defendants will turn on each other etc etc and the victims parents will want the case to go away with as little smear as possible. None of those kids are going away for first degree murder, but the driver/owner of the truck will have some problems.
I agree completely. The hit and run aspect is really the most serious of the charges that could actually apply here (based on what's known so far), but the latest I read indicates someone (not sure if one of the kids in the drug sale) was hanging around as if to try to get her help. So, even the hit aspect may not be cut and dried.

I can see it coming down to the question of to what degree did they realize she was critically injured and if they knew she was critically injured and did nothing to help, were the injuries such that she might have survived if they had helped?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
but the latest I read indicates someone (not sure if one of the kids in the drug sale) was hanging around as if to try to get her help. ?
Oh, her "friend" who told the good samaritan not to call the cops? One wonders where HIS parents are as he spouts off to the media all the details of what he did/didn't do that night.

"With friends like this..."

Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
The punching is key here I would think. The passengers will probably plead and turn but the driver is in a world of trouble here.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The punching is key here I would think. The passengers will probably plead and turn but the driver is in a world of trouble here.
I don't agree. "Punching" sounds harsh and it is if for example the assailant walks up and knocks out an innocent victim, but when someone jumps onto your vehicle and is scratching and clawing at you and/or and the steering wheel while the vehicle is moving, a very strong case could be made that she is endangering the lives of you and the passengers, and getting her off the vehicle the only way you could was the top priority, the safest possible move, and ultimately self defense.

The hit-and-run with a known injury is going to end up being the core of the serious charges.

I don't agree with the whole "somebody died, so we have to take whatever portion of it was their fault and dump it all on whoever is still alive" mentality.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Victim was selling pot; deal went bad, per news from WRAZ at 10 PM tonight.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Victim was selling pot; deal went bad, per news from WRAZ at 10 PM tonight.
The other parties tried to rob her, she was killed in the process. It isn't going to go well for the plaintiffs in this case. They may plead this down from 1st degree murder, but they are looking a serious jail time. As Baretta used to say "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary