Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
A quarter of weed(7 grams) these days can run $30(brick) to $120(dank). A quarter would probably last a group of teens a day,especially if they waste it rolling blunts like they do. Either way it's not enough money for a person of average intelligence to kill or lose their life over.
Yeah... that's my general assessment. My guess is that she wasn't very savvy at such transactions (who gives people the product to hold before they hand over the money?) and they knew it and figured they'd get pot PLUS money.

What they didn't count on was her getting feisty and hopping on that truck to try to grab her cash.

Such a tiny amount of money (and pot) to kill someone over... or to lose one's life over. I'm sure she just responded in surprise because she didn't expect them to take the money.

We also don't know that she didn't owe part of that money to a dealer.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM

248 posts, read 494,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
She might have been dealing drugs but they were there to buy them, then robbed her, then when she jumped on the truck the driver sped up and punched her in the face and head several times until she fell off the truck. How that makes her 70% at fault in her own death is beyond me. This was over a small amount of marijuana. I don't think a 16 year old girl deserved to die because of it.
There is a world of difference between being 70% responsible for the accident that resulted in death and deserving to die. Try to figure that difference out then come back to the conversation.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
She was dealing weed not meth. I'm not going to condemn her as a dangerous drug dealer. Naive yes . As far as the other 4,complete morons and I have a hard time believing they are the compassionate model kids the attorney is saying they are. Another one in the bucket in terms of the war on drugs. Ridiculous and unnecessary the whole scenario.
The type of drug being sold does not make a drug transaction less risky. Anyone old enough to sell the drugs has heard how frequently drug deals go bad.

This particular incident was not really a classic "drug deal gone bad" scenario. It was more like mischievous teenagers gone bad. None of the teenagers involved were at the high end of the criminal ladder.

But that does not reduce her responsibility for everything that happened, including the primary mistake that lead to death (jumping on a moving vehicle).

That's one of those fundamental "dont run with scissors" and "dont play in a busy street" type of things that most parents teach their kid not to do at a very early age.

Take away the drug aspect of the scenario and leave everything else -- she still comes out dead.

Take away the jump on a moving truck aspect of the scenario and leave the drugs -- she would still be alive.

Those last two statements prove my point conclusively.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... that's my general assessment. My guess is that she wasn't very savvy at such transactions (who gives people the product to hold before they hand over the money?) and they knew it and figured they'd get pot PLUS money.

What they didn't count on was her getting feisty and hopping on that truck to try to grab her cash.

Such a tiny amount of money (and pot) to kill someone over... or to lose one's life over. I'm sure she just responded in surprise because she didn't expect them to take the money.

We also don't know that she didn't owe part of that money to a dealer.
I haven't read but one news article(wral), but are they saying she had money they took off her too? I can see grabbing the weed but how would they of gotten cash if she was the one selling?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Man, if this drug dealer was a black male, mid 20's, with a history of crimes I bet most would be saying he deserved what he got.

Did they force the dealer onto the truck and then push her off? I doubt it. Sounds like she jumped on to the truck and got shoved off. Put yourself in the same situation - a lunatic jumps on your car and you attempt to speed away. Somehow it's now YOUR fault they did that?

Seriously?

Instead we are charging the buyers with murder? What sort of bizarro world are we in today?!?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Man, if this drug dealer was a black male, mid 20's, with a history of crimes I bet most would be saying he deserved what he got.

Did they force the dealer onto the truck and then push her off? I doubt it. Sounds like she jumped on to the truck and got shoved off. Put yourself in the same situation - a lunatic jumps on your car and you attempt to speed away. Somehow it's now YOUR fault they did that?

Seriously?

Instead we are charging the buyers with murder? What sort of bizarro world are we in today?!?
Its pretty rote in our criminal justice system; if someone dies in the commission of a felony, it becomes first degree murder.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:11 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
a lunatic jumps on your car and you attempt to speed away. Somehow it's now YOUR fault they did that?
You need the qualifier that it's a lunatic you just robbed.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its pretty rote in our criminal justice system; if someone dies in the commission of a felony, it becomes first degree murder.
But my understanding is that they did not commit a felony. They didn't even purchase drugs, they committed misdemeanor larceny (under $500). I have not seen where violence or intimidation was used as part of the actual theft (only after the larceny victim assaulted the driver which makes that portion of it self defense).

Wheelsup is right. A very sick world we live in.

Thankfully these charges aren't "real". They are set unrealistically high as negotiating rates only. Dealing with legal charges is like haggling over rug prices at a Turkish bizarre. The initial charges aren't necessarily the ones they have a realistic chance of conviction, but if they set the bar high they can use them to get better testimony. If they start out with realistic charges its harder to say "ok we'll reduce the charge in exchange for testimony".

Old 06-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You need the qualifier that it's a lunatic you just robbed.
You mean the drug addled narcotics sales rep that is endangering the lives of four other people by attempting to physically assault the driver of a moving vehicle? Oh yeah that lunatic.

I hope everyone that supports the victim knows they are sending a very clear message to teenage girls that its okay to sell drugs as long as you stay sugar and spice and all that's nice, the rest of the citizens will rush to your defense if you get in trouble.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I haven't read but one news article(wral), but are they saying she had money they took off her too? I can see grabbing the weed but how would they of gotten cash if she was the one selling?
My guess is that she was inexperienced at selling drugs and gave them the pot before they gave her the money...

Once they started to drive away without paying her for it, she likely (on instinct) tried to grab the money or the pot and the driver (from what I've read) punched her in the face, knocked her off the vehicle, and drove away.

I assume he ran her over while doing this, because a fall from a standard pickup truck window at a slow rate of speed (as in, a car taking off) isn't likely to kill a person and leave them badly bloodied (as was described by the 911 caller).

It is also possible that they accelerated rapidly once she lunged into the vehicle to get her money/pot and she was afraid to let go.

I think all this blaming of the girl for getting killed is kind of pointless. She should not have been selling pot (particularly to people she likely didn't know well, because friends don't rob you and leave you for dead) and they should not have been buying/stealing pot and leaving a person in the road for dead.

I am not seeing this 70/30 thing that smokijoo is seeing, but hey... that's what the courts are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary