Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt you would fit in fine. Many older people live in Cary, including retirees. Many retirees moves to Cary to be closer to their children and grandchild after they relocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Any suggestions on neighborhoods? We would want a 4/2 around 2000 SF or larger.
Price range, amenities, HOA or no HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
There are so many neighborhoods with homes in that range (2000 sq ft 4/2.5). It will really depend on the amenities and your target price range. Did you want an older neighborhood with mature landscaping or newer construction? Are you looking for a golf community? Swim or tennis community?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 PM

91 posts, read 309,093 times
Hi, You will love it here! I am a native of NC ( a little rare here!)

There are over 400 homes in Cary that have 4/ 2.5 at this time! It depends so much on what else you are looking for. Age, school districts, close to shopping, churches and so much more. I have a list of questions I ask my buyers to help them determine what their options are.

As agents we can not "steer" you into any neighborhood, but we can show you all the wonderful homes that fit what you are looking for. Have you visited here before? I would encourage you to make a list of all the things that are important to you in a home and neighborhood, and then ask folks here again, this is a great site to get info from!

Best of Luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Types of communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
There are so many neighborhoods with homes in that range (2000 sq ft 4/2.5). It will really depend on the amenities and your target price range. Did you want an older neighborhood with mature landscaping or newer construction? Are you looking for a golf community? Swim or tennis community?
We would like to be in a very friendly type neighborhood where people really get out and meet each other. We still need to work, obviously, but are extremely active, fun people - most of our friends are in their mid 40's and have no clue we are as old as we are! Our children are 23 and 18. The 18 year old would be with us. The 23 year old just moved to NYC but would visit often, I'm sure....

We would consider prices from 200K to 400K, not knowing what is good there.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 PM

37 posts, read 54,416 times
I am in the same boat so any advice is greatly appreciated! Been here 6 months, rented a townhouse in Legacy at Carpenter Village because of the good value for square footage and proximity to work in the RTP. My husband and I are late 40's/early 50's, 2 grown kids in college. Unfortunately we did not know that this community is very transient, at least half the townhouses are rentals, moving vans in and out every couple of weeks, no one knows their neighbors. Also lots of noisy kids who need a place to play but unfortunately have no where to go but in the streets. We are looking for a friendly community, not really kid-oriented since we have "been there, done that" and don't find the sounds of bouncing basketballs and skateboards to be particularly relaxing any more. Are all the townhouse communities in Cary/Morrisville like this? Can anyone recommend a semi-quiet, friendly neighborhood not too far from the RTP?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley1 View Post
I am in the same boat so any advice is greatly appreciated! Been here 6 months, rented a townhouse in Legacy at Carpenter Village because of the good value for square footage and proximity to work in the RTP. My husband and I are late 40's/early 50's, 2 grown kids in college. Unfortunately we did not know that this community is very transient, at least half the townhouses are rentals, moving vans in and out every couple of weeks, no one knows their neighbors. Also lots of noisy kids who need a place to play but unfortunately have no where to go but in the streets. We are looking for a friendly community, not really kid-oriented since we have "been there, done that" and don't find the sounds of bouncing basketballs and skateboards to be particularly relaxing any more. Are all the townhouse communities in Cary/Morrisville like this? Can anyone recommend a semi-quiet, friendly neighborhood not too far from the RTP?
Take a look at Stone Creek Village on High House Road.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Take a look at Stone Creek Village on High House Road.
I second this! I live there! Great neighborhood, only 98 homes, walking distance to many stores/restaurants. Nice neighbors, the majority are single profressionals or retirees. Only a few kids scattered about.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are self employed. My husband is a CPA. We are a Christian family. Would we be out of place?

Realistic thoughts, please.
Well, if I didn't resemble this remark, myself, I might be offended. My husband and I moved to Cary in 2005 when our daughter graduated from HS, and I retired. His work brought us here, and we have loved it -- even if it meant moving out of Wilmington, our own hometown, and away from the coast.

Plenty to do here, many cultural events to choose from, sports, college-related activities and events, concerts -- oh, wait! I already covered cultural events. Good restaurants of most all types, and shopping. The area is an easy two hours' drive from the coast, or the mountains (well, a little over 2 hours to the mountains), and easy access to I95 which will take you North or South, of course. I can be in DC relatively easy, if I time my driving right to avoid traffic.

I also like the people in Cary quite a bit. Most are transplants, and much less likely to be narrow-minded and bigoted. There are all ages, including young families with little ones, families with middle-schoolers and teens in HS, as well as those like us, with kids in college. Cary is a nice fit for a lot of folks, it seems.

It does not appeal to all, however; you will find plenty who call it 'beige city' and my own daughter tells me it makes her think of Stepford, but where my husband and I are in our lives, we love it.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Geez Louise. Nothing like perpetuating stereotypes.

RDSLOTS wrote:
Quote:
Most are transplants, and much less likely to be narrow-minded and bigoted.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Cary still there in my thoughts

Cary is still in my thoughts. Our daughter is still in NYC - our son in college and lives at home (it's wonderful having him there).

I would love to try it out at some point, have my husband get licensed which would take some time, etc. We still have a lot of goals and thanks to 2008 and 2009, a lot to make up.

However, we're still employed and grateful for that but things have been slower. Cary is still on my wish list.

Thanks for the reminder on this thread. Sounds like there a lot of people in our same situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary