Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 6,313 times

Advertisements

My husband & I will be moving from southwest florida with our 1 year old daughter as soon as our home sells.

My husband will be transferring to work at the Safelite in Durham, which is off of Durham Chapel Hill Blvd.
I originally had posted looking for recommendations in the North Raleigh area, but I have come across 2 apartment complexes that we liked while we rent for the first year.

1. camden lake pine apartments in apex (border of cary/apex)

2. Sagebrook of chapel hill apartments

I realize the Sagebrook apartments would be closer to my husbands work, however he will only need to commute to the office in the morning and his route home would depend on where his last job is, so I'm not too concerned about that.

We have only visited Raleigh & Wake Forest so I'm not familiar with Chapel Hill or Apex, but have read great things about both. I was hoping you all could help me determine which place might be a better fit for my family based on what we are looking for.

I would like a safe area, that is family friendly. I am a stay-at-home mom, so this is important to us. I would love an area that has a small-town feel, lots of parks & greenways and a walkable downtown area with local shops, cafés & restaurants. Ideally, an area that offers kid-friendly events regularly would be great.

I appreciate any and all input! Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 AM

6,355 posts, read 5,448,972 times
I grew up in Cary/Apex and went to school and still live in Chapel Hill (4 years after graduating; because I started my career here; not because I'm a townie).

I don't see why you'd live in Cary/Apex and commute to that area of Durham; Chapel Hill or SW Durham would put you much closer to work and there are plenty of great apartment complex in that area for short term rent.

A walkable downtown with a lot of local restaurants, stores, etc. is going to be found in Chapel Hill moreso than any other area of the Triangle.

Sagebrook is a much better option IMO. I'd also suggest looking at Sunstone Apartments in Chapel Hill. A decent amount of professionals and young families there; not as dominated with students as many other apartment complexes. That would put you about 10-15 minutes away from where your husband will be working (not quite as close as Sagebrook; but much closer than Cary or Apex would be a minimum of 30 minute commute probably) and also walking distance to Eastgate and U-Mall and on the (free) bus line to Franklin Street/ downtown Chapel Hill.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 07-03-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 08:47 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,022,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I grew up in Cary/Apex and went to school and still live in Chapel Hill (4 years after graduating; because I started my career here; not because I'm a townie).

I don't see why you'd live in Cary/Apex and commute to that area of Durham; Chapel Hill or SW Durham would put you much closer to work and there are plenty of great apartment complex in that area for short term rent.

A walkable downtown with a lot of local restaurants, stores, etc. is going to be found in Chapel Hill moreso than any other area of the Triangle.

I'd suggest looking at Sunstone Apartments in Chapel Hill. A lot of young families there; not as dominated with students as many other apartment complexes. That would put you about 10-15 minutes away from where your husband will be working (Cary or Apex would be a minimum of 30 minute commute probably) and also walking distance to Eastgate and U-Mall and on the (free) bus line to Franklin Street/ downtown Chapel Hill.
Ditto. It makes more sense to rent according to where you work. Long commutes when renting aren't worth the sacrifice. Living as close to work as possible will save you time that you can invest in deciding where to buy. Durham is a good size city and it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere that temporarily meets most the OP' s needs.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
If the OP's man is working on the road, and covering a wide area, the morning commute is often balanced by the evening commute. He might even request to finish the day close to home base rather than Mebane or something like that. But, I would want an early early morning commute to Durham from Lake Pine, to keep it under 45 minutes.

Apex is fine, as a small town.
I think I would be looking at the Sagebrook pretty hard, though.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,313 times
Thank you for the responses!

Is the area around the Sagebrook apartments known to be a safe area? I checked the crime rates and map on neighborhood scout, but since I'm not familiar with that area, I figured I'd ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary