Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times

Advertisements

...We'll never tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:55 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
Is there a google earth overlay / layer available for the orange route?

Similar to what was used to create this YouTube flyover video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_vVtW0jw1s

Old 08-19-2015, 03:15 PM

I received this forwarded email related to the "Complete 540 Project" today [apologies for the formatting], written by Eric Midkiff, NCDOT:

We have tabulated the information on all the alternatives now. I anticipate the approval and public release of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement, which contains the benefits and impacts of all the alternatives, very soon. There are still a few comments from the Federal Highway Administration that we are addressing before we can approve that document and release that information. I can say that the impacts to the human environment (homes, businesses, neighborhoods) due to the Blue/Purple alternative were high compared to other alternatives under investigation, as expected, while the natural environmental impacts (streams, wetlands, etc..) were relatively low compared to the other alternatives, but not the lowest.

The "due to the Blue/Purple alternative" phrase is, to me, confusing. I'm wondering if I should instead read this as "related to the Blue/Purple alternative".

The rest of the email follows:

When the DEIS is approved, which I am hopeful will be in the next couple of weeks, then we will move into a public comment period and then alternative selection. The following is the project schedule:

"Complete 540" Project Schedule*
Receive Approval of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement
Summer 2015
Draft EIS Review Period and Hold Public Hearings
Early Fall 2015
Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Late Fall 2015
Approval of Final Environmental Impact Statement
Spring 2016
Publication of the Record of Decision
Summer 2016
Complete Financial Feasibility
Spring 2017
Begin Right of Way Acquisition
Summer 2017
Begin Construction (R-2721)
Spring 2018

As you can see, we are getting very close to choosing an alternative and closing out the environmental review phase of this project. The Draft EIS will be viewable on our website once approved at NCDOT: Complete 540 Project. Let me know if you have any more questions, and feel free to check back for further updates. Once the document is approved, you will receive a newsletter which advertises the time and location for the upcoming public hearings as noted above.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:14 PM

5,336 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Is there a google earth overlay / layer available for the orange route?
I don't use Google Earth so I don't know if you can simply import a map or not.

Here is the Google Maps version of all of the routes: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k.k4rEfKRwt6ko

Old 08-20-2015, 02:20 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't use Google Earth so I don't know if you can simply import a map or not.

Here is the Google Maps version of all of the routes: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k.k4rEfKRwt6ko
Thanks. I've been looking for that since I moved down here two years ago.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Thank you - this will work well.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
I would have thought this to be completed by now. What's the hold up? A rare and endangered amoebae?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
I still think the orange route will be the one they go with but the purple/blue route would have been better (in hindsight, if that land had been set aside 20 years ago) for keeping some of the traffic from Fuquay Varina off 55 during rush hour.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I would have thought this to be completed by now. What's the hold up? A rare and endangered amoebae?
The same old thing--$$$. Then, the first item will be to condemn and buy the land. That may or may not not go smoothly.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The same old thing--$$$. Then, the first item will be to condemn and buy the land. That may or may not not go smoothly.
So what are they looking at for a timeline now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary