Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 AM

19,426 posts, read 27,793,477 times

Advertisements

I'm with the crowd that says 30 minut3s from your job. Goldenage and Poppydog are spot on with suggesting you consider Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
and as far as your rental period, you'd absolutely want to be:

a. close to work
b. central to the area, to allow the shortest distance to all the different places you'll be scouting.

The most central place you can be is Brier Creek, and from Brier Creek towards south Durham before Highway 751.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM

19,426 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and as far as your rental period, you'd absolutely want to be:

a. close to work
b. central to the area, to allow the shortest distance to all the different places you'll be scouting.

The most central place you can be is Brier Creek, and from Brier Creek towards south Durham before Highway 751.
Yeah, but they arent going to find it easy to get a rental or a home in that budget in Brier Creek. And it's not particularly walk friendly or small town feel like these folks are describing. (Remember that I live here and love it.)

Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,645,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
You are trying to leave the tri-state area where 1.5 hour commutes are viewed as not that bad. It is rare here to have a one hour commute, it is not necessary so people try to keep commutes under 30 minutes. Once living here you will find your tolerance for a long commute is gone.

The other thing you need to factor is this area is growing at a rapid pace so increases in traffic are inevitable. Commutes that are 10 minutes now could go up to 20 in a few years.
Huh?

I also came to NC from Cherry Hill. The Tri-state area includes Philadelphia & Wilmington, DE, not NYC. 1 1/2 hour commutes are not considered normal. I don't even know where a commute that long would be. . .maybe Newark, DE or someplace in Maryland. You have a valid point that commutes in the NC metros are only getting worse, but a hour & a half? That's not normal in South Jersey unless you are referring to the occasional person who lives in very rural areas & makes a ridiculous commute. I knew one in many years of working in Philly.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 AM

580 posts, read 711,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Huh?

I also came to NC from Cherry Hill. The Tri-state area includes Philadelphia & Wilmington, DE, not NYC. 1 1/2 hour commutes are not considered normal. I don't even know where a commute that long would be. . .maybe Newark, DE or someplace in Maryland. You have a valid point that commutes in the NC metros are only getting worse, but a hour & a half? That's not normal in South Jersey unless you are referring to the occasional person who lives in very rural areas & makes a ridiculous commute. I knew one in many years of working in Philly.
Never heard the Tri-State area as being anything other than NY, NJ and CT so I looked it up-

There are a number of areas in the 48 contiguous United States known informally as tri-state areas. A tri-state area is an area associated with a particular town or metropolis that lies across three states. Some, but not all, of these involve a state boundary tripoint.
The most frequently referenced tri-state area is that which refers with the New York metropolitan area, which covers parts of the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is often referenced in New York radio, as well as through countless television commercials.

The Delaware Valley region, which includes eastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and northern Delaware, is also frequently referred to as a tri-state area in radio and TV advertising in the Philadelphia market.

different tri-state area.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:25 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
FWIW -- for others reading this, the term is "North Raleigh" and not "Northern Raleigh."

Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Huh?

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Cherry Hill is part of the Phila. metro region, not NYC, and commutes of 1 1/2 hours are not typical in Phila. But the greater point that Sal was making still stands that a long commute is not necessary here. On the other hand, I'm of the mindset to pick somewhere you like to live (within reason) because jobs change and liking where you live is sometimes more important than a very short commute (again within reason), but everyone has different priorities.

NYCANC, yes growing up in PA, Phila., South Jersey, and Delaware has been called the tri-state area for a long time, too. I remember as a kid in the 70s visiting my relatives in NY and watching tv commercials that said tri-state area meaning NY, NJ, and CT and being confused by it at first. Of course, NYC always outshines little brother Philly in notoriety so people just assume tri-state means NYC and environs.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,589,740 times
Durham!

You could work at Duke or UNC in the medical field (or anywhere else) - get to Carrboro easily but live more cheaply. If you like Carrboro and Chapel Hill live on the west side of Durham.

I know you said you don't mind traffic but trust me, that's because you're used to it. When you leave traffic of that magnitude you won't want to deal with it again, as others have said. There are areas here with awful traffic as well at certain times, and there's just no need to spend an hour or so commuting.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,645,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Never heard the Tri-State area as being anything other than NY, NJ and CT so I looked it up-

There are a number of areas in the 48 contiguous United States known informally as tri-state areas. A tri-state area is an area associated with a particular town or metropolis that lies across three states. Some, but not all, of these involve a state boundary tripoint.
The most frequently referenced tri-state area is that which refers with the New York metropolitan area, which covers parts of the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is often referenced in New York radio, as well as through countless television commercials.

The Delaware Valley region, which includes eastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and northern Delaware, is also frequently referred to as a tri-state area in radio and TV advertising in the Philadelphia market.

different tri-state area.
The poster who I responded to told the OP that he is in the tri-state area & cited a ridiculous commute time as normal. It's just an accident that the Philadelphia metro is also in a tri-state area. SNJ should have been a clue to him. Writing out South Jersey would have eliminated his confusion. People in South Jersey know that North Jersey is in a different tri-state area, but thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
bless y'alls hearts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary