Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 08:02 AM

169 posts, read 419,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Have you tried offering more than minimum wage?? There are plenty of unemployed IT professionals.
Did you even read my post? Seriously, not anything more I can say than that. When I said "skilled IT professionals" I meant mid to high level engineers and admins. There are 100 entry level for every 1 skilled person.

"IT professionals" is a term that to me feels like getting a trophy for participating. There are people who can barely do helpdesk who call themselves IT professionals. I think a lot of this whole issue is people who are underskilled expecting to get better jobs with little effort or hard work on their part. It's just how society has shifted as a whole. We continually interview people who are used to being part of a "team", which is fine if it's a real team, but most of them have no idea how to do anything because the "team" was one or two guys who did everything and the rest of the team just handled stuff that nobody could screw up.

Last edited by TexRob; 07-23-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM

779 posts, read 927,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I see this posted in every forum. The truth of the matter is that no place is as good or as bad to every person, as some stats claim they are. So much depends on one's own education, experience, skill level, communication skills, interviewing skills, etc. Sometimes people just have to high of an expectation of things. This is true in the case of many coming out of school. Many forget that starting at the bottom and working your way up with experience does work. They want it all at once and they want it all now.

I found very few things not to my liking with the Raleigh/Durham area and employment certainly was not one of the few. My family had no problem getting good employment there and even better employment where we are now. That is because stats don't dictate your future. Your work ethic, skills and experience do.
Not true... Do some traveling and some reading and you'll find that certain cities simply have better job markets over a wider range of fields... I really hate reading comments like this.... Reading the "Well every city is the exact same (or similar) in every sing way" mindset gets really old....

Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
That's what libertarian politics does. Screws over most people and only helps the elite.
Isn't that a description of ALL politics? Really now...

Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Not true... Do some traveling and some reading and you'll find that certain cities simply have better job markets over a wider range of fields... I really hate reading comments like this.... Reading the "Well every city is the exact same (or similar) in every sing way" mindset gets really old....
that's how you read this part of his post?

The truth of the matter is that no place is as good or as bad to every person, as some stats claim they are. So much depends on one's own education, experience, skill level, communication skills, interviewing skills, etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 PM

779 posts, read 927,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
that's how you read this part of his post?

The truth of the matter is that no place is as good or as bad to every person, as some stats claim they are. So much depends on one's own education, experience, skill level, communication skills, interviewing skills, etc.
Yes, that's what I read.

There are some cities that are going to be good for most anyone (as far as job searches go) because they cover so many fields; Houston, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, etc.... To even hint at Raleigh having even a similar quality of job market as any of those cities is absurd. I recently sought the help of a job counselor who works for a staffing agency and was simply told, "If you're not in Tech or Medicine, Raleigh is a rough place to find a good job." ... That was the best and most realistic opinion I've heard since being here.

Couple that with the dichotomous southern mentality a lot of these people have and it doesn't take long to discover that Raleigh simply isn't worth it. When I first came here, I thought wow.... rush hour is so nice. There's no traffic here compared to a lot of other cities I've lived in and visited, now I understand why....

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
Quote:
Couple that with the dichotomous southern mentality a lot of these people have
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that southerners are fake? Two-faced?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I read.

There are some cities that are going to be good for most anyone (as far as job searches go) because they cover so many fields; Houston, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, etc.... To even hint at Raleigh having even a similar quality of job market as any of those cities is absurd. I recently sought the help of a job counselor who works for a staffing agency and was simply told, "If you're not in Tech or Medicine, Raleigh is a rough place to find a good job." ... That was the best and most realistic opinion I've heard since being here.

Couple that with the dichotomous southern mentality a lot of these people have and it doesn't take long to discover that Raleigh simply isn't worth it. When I first came here, I thought wow.... rush hour is so nice. There's no traffic here compared to a lot of other cities I've lived in and visited, now I understand why....
I suppose I've hit the jackpot then. I'm moving to Raleigh because it's my city of choice, and I'm coming with a good job that is in neither of those fields you mentioned. I guess that just means I'll be able to enjoy the area to its fullest.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I suppose I've hit the jackpot then. I'm moving to Raleigh because it's my city of choice, and I'm coming with a good job that is in neither of those fields you mentioned. I guess that just means I'll be able to enjoy the area to its fullest.
Seconded.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I read.

Are you still here? If so, why?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
What? I never said every city is the same. Try reading the "entire" post again and see if you have enough time to delete your post. If you can't, maybe I can help you with that....LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary