Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
More like 4 hours from Raleigh, no? A bit far for a day trip.
Takes me 2.5 h from chapel Hill, a little over 2 hours to exit 103, then 64 bypass to 181 to brown mountain beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Takes me 2.5 h from chapel Hill, a little over 2 hours to exit 103, then 64 bypass to 181 to brown mountain beach.
You must drive really fast! I can't believe you can actually get from Chapel Hill to the trailhead in 2.5 hours.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You must drive really fast! I can't believe you can actually get from Chapel Hill to the trailhead in 2.5 hours.
Its 160 miles on I-40. A little over 2 hours, going 5-10 over the speed limit (which is 70 most of the way). Add 5 min for a few stop lights before you hit 181. Then 15 miles to wilson creek @ 55 mph. Then 4 miles up the creek to north harper @30 mph. We used to day trip up there after every big rain, 10-12 times a year. It is a 180 mile trip mostly on the interstate with a little state highway thrown in. If you want to hang onto your google map info over someone who actually has made the drive repeatedly, so be it.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Its 160 miles on I-40. A little over 2 hours, going 5-10 over the speed limit (which is 70 most of the way). Add 5 min for a few stop lights before you hit 181. Then 15 miles to wilson creek @ 55 mph. Then 4 miles up the creek to north harper @30 mph. We used to day trip up there after every big rain, 10-12 times a year. It is a 180 mile trip mostly on the interstate with a little state highway thrown in. If you want to hang onto your google map info over someone who actually has made the drive repeatedly, so be it.
I've made the drive from Winston-Salem to Wilson Creek many times, and I've driven between Winston-Salem and Raleigh/Chapel Hill hundreds of times. I know how long it takes from personal experience.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I just did White Pines down near Sanford last Saturday.
That's right down the road from me and one of my favorite places if I want to get some alone time for an hour or so. I've only seen other hikers once before in all the years of going. A nice place...

Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It's about 2.5-3 hrs to Boone from Chapel Hill. We have a family home there and do it all the time. It's a bit far for my comfort level for a day trip, but ymmv. Tons and tons of hiking in the area. Certainly it could be done. We did the same distance to Wrightsville as a day trip over Spring Break.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM

386 posts, read 605,292 times
Just for future reference - I would want to go out to the Boone area sometime this summer when I don't have anything at night and can stay longer/drive farther. What good places are out over there to check out? I've been to Grandfather Mountain before and eh I'll pass on the $20/person if I've already been there haha

Thanks for the suggestions! We're doing Hanging Rock State Park on Sunday. What trails should we check out there?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
If you want to hike Grandfather no need to pay the $20 if you start at the bottom. It's free. It's just the attractions that cost the $20.

We like Moses Cone Park. Nice hike to the Firetower there. Linville Falls is always good. We've done Glen Burney Falls right in downtown Blowing Rock (behind the park) if you like a tucked away rough and rugged trail. Lost Cove Cliffs and Little Lost Cove Cliffs are a little more off the beaten path and pretty stunning. Rough Ridge is very popular, but has a fantastic view. Tons more.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you want to hike Grandfather no need to pay the $20 if you start at the bottom. It's free. It's just the attractions that cost the $20.

We like Moses Cone Park. Nice hike to the Firetower there. Linville Falls is always good. We've done Glen Burney Falls right in downtown Blowing Rock (behind the park) if you like a tucked away rough and rugged trail. Lost Cove Cliffs and Little Lost Cove Cliffs are a little more off the beaten path and pretty stunning. Rough Ridge is very popular, but has a fantastic view. Tons more.
All of these are good (some I forgot, it's been since early 90's for me). +1 on Rough Ridge for sure. Cone Firetower is cool too, but if it's a hot day, much of it is exposed to sun, so heed.

I'd add two really nice hikes, and they kinda overlap.

Price Park Loop is about 5 miles, and you can picnic in the park after your hike (no alcohol allowed). An offshoot of that is Hebron Rock Colony which is really spectacular if you don't mind hopping some big rocks.

On the back-side of Grandfather (coming up from hwy 105) is the crystal mine trail. I don't recall exactly where you can access it, but it's somewhere near Foscoe, I think. Steep uphill hike, but it ends up in an old quartz crystal mine. Pretty cool.

In general, there are lots of places to hike up there, and a lot of great swimming holes if you go in the summer.

EDIT: Found this link to Hebron, and I assume it may contain other good suggestions:
http://blueridgencguide.com/2012/05/...-colony-falls/

Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I'd go to Linville Falls. Probably a little over 3 hours from our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary