Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 19,203 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Durham for studies soon and of course, apartment-hunting online is an absolute headache. I will be living alone (as a professional student) and safety is my priority. I have been told that I should not spend more than $500 on an apartment but I assume this person who told me this thinks I will be sharing- I will not. I was also told by another person that I will not get anything good for under $700. True enough, especially contacting landlords a month before the beginning of the school year, everywhere seems to be full!

I have been advised also by yet another person that I should not spend more than $1000 on an apartment since these would mainly be for people who are working and not students. Will this affect the safety aspect though? I am of course leaning towards Trinity Commons (they take safety seriously and I am paranoid) but apartments like Poplar West seem to be nice too... except that they don't seem to be a gated community, anyone from the street can come up to your door.

So please ladies and gents... am I being paranoid about Durham in general? I should also mention that I am looking for a place within walking distance to the Duke U, West campus so I'm not very flexible in terms of location. I don't want to become a statistic. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
Oh no not another thread on safety in Durham

Old 07-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Eeeps! Sorry!

Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Op, check out this thread for comments on another complex as an additional optional http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rs-condos.html And, the poster Bull City Durham lives there can give you some solid advice. Durham is fine. The crime is like any other place, mostly confined to low income areas - small pockets around the city. There was recently a thread about Durham apartments you can search for.

I do suggest that with any further questions you share your rental budget so folks can help you. For example, there are numerous on across from or near the hospital that would work.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
oops, I meant the poster "Bull City Rising"

Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,341 times
There are no under $500 1 bedroom apartments. Think $800+

Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Will do, thanks! I guess I got a bit paranoid when I read about shootings in the past (Anderson Apartments, Duke Manor), apartment reports list down too many crimes (even if some are petty, they still count). In terms of budget, let's just say I would prefer to pay "student prices" if it offers the same security etc. (anything in the lines of $700-$900) as better apartments like Trinity Commons (amenities aren't important) but if they don't, I don't mind paying a little over $1000 but preferably under $1500. I just want a place where they have layered security and where security is taken seriously. I don't feel comfy with places where they don't even bother installing deadbolt locks. Forgive my paranoia!

Thank you once again for any help!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
There are no under $500 1 bedroom apartments. Think $800+
Haha yes, I'm not even there yet and I know that much! This guy who told me this probably thought I didn't mind sharing! No way!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,242 times
You will be fine, crime happens every where, a lot of people around here shelter themselves and act like Durham is south side Chicago(people have no problem visiting Chicago despite the number of murders a year is higher then all of NC put together, that said it's one of the most visited cities in America) or 1993 Compton.

In cities all over the world, avoiding crime boils down to not living where it is happening(if you have the choice). I know I never feel unsafe in Durham, people be out all types of night, I never met anybody who lives in Durham that felt unsafe, all the people that tell me they don't think it's safe, haven't been there in years. On this thread(Triangle) you will read the dumbest posts ever, things like, I was born in raised in Raleigh, but I wonder what Durham is like(???take the damn 15 minute drive and find out(I'm not making this up)).

Just go down there if you are in the area, or when ever you get a chance and get a feel of the area your self. Rent is going up every where, you can find a place that is 700 but not 500, lots of people are moving here, and a lot of people are renting which means apartments are hiking prices up but you should find something in nice area.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:54 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
Deerfield is not gated but is isolated surrounded by Duke Forest. About 5 min drive to campus. Lots of grad students, some with families. Older, around $800/mo.

Belmont was the first of the "fancy" gated apartments for students. Walk to campus. 15 years old now, around $1100/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary