Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:40 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,368,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
C. H. is certainly a great place for many people, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is some place made of gold that everyone is trying to get into.
Does that relate to the COL or just in general? Because I didn't think that at all. Limiting growth/access and in return having higher prices/taxes didn't have me thinking it's some area made by god...only a few areas of the Triangle really appealed to me and Chapel Hill/Carrboro is what was left standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Does that relate to the COL or just in general? Because I didn't think that at all. Limiting growth/access and in return having higher prices/taxes didn't have me thinking it's some area made by god...only a few areas of the Triangle really appealed to me and Chapel Hill/Carrboro is what was left standing.
If you like it, by all means consider it. I know people who are very happy there. It's not at all that I think it is a bad place, just run in such a way that provides the results it has and I prefer something a bit different. The price of homes and taxes are the main COL issues, as well as not having as easy access to cheaper shopping options.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:13 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,368,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think Cary is a more of a town for the well-off, economically fortunate.
Who would you say Chapel Hill is for, given the similar prices? It seems to me that the high prices/taxes just create an illusion of the area being a place for the elite, and that Chapel Hill is actually a pretty down-to-earth area and a perfect place for regular people and/or those wanting to live in an area that provides them with what they want.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,228,622 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what makes you say that. I think both Cary and Chapel Hill have there share of economically fortunate residents, but Chapel Hill has long struggled to offer housing opportunity for the less fortunate. That coupled with the higher average cost of housing and higher taxes makes Chapel Hill seem like the more likely candidate for the well-off.

From March of this year "After 15 years, Chapel Hill is still trying to get a grip on its housing problem"

From the Article:

Area Median home values
Chapel Hill $368,400
Raleigh $202,800
Durham $176,700
Cary $302,200

According to federal guidelines, households should not spend more than 30 percent of their annual income on housing costs.

% of Chapel Hill homeowners who pay more: 26.1%

% of Chapel Hill renters: 56.1%

Compared to other Triangle cities:

Raleigh: Homeowners: 26% Renters: 46.9%

Durham: Homeowners: 25% Renters: 45.7%

Cary: Homeowners: 14.5% Renters: 45.6%

Source: American Community Survey, 2013

Old 07-24-2015, 03:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not sure what makes you say that. I think both Cary and Chapel Hill have there share of economically fortunate residents, but Chapel Hill has long struggled to offer housing opportunity for the less fortunate. That coupled with the higher average cost of housing and higher taxes makes Chapel Hill seem like the more likely candidate for the well-off.

From March of this year "After 15 years, Chapel Hill is still trying to get a grip on its housing problem"

From the Article:

Area Median home values
Chapel Hill $368,400
Raleigh $202,800
Durham $176,700
Cary $302,200

According to federal guidelines, households should not spend more than 30 percent of their annual income on housing costs.

% of Chapel Hill homeowners who pay more: 26.1%

% of Chapel Hill renters: 56.1%

Compared to other Triangle cities:

Raleigh: Homeowners: 26% Renters: 46.9%

Durham: Homeowners: 25% Renters: 45.7%

Cary: Homeowners: 14.5% Renters: 45.6%

Source: American Community Survey, 2013
I honestly think they have it they way they want it. I believe they would prefer to keep the less economically fortunate out.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,020,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I honestly think they have it they way they want it. I believe they would prefer to keep the less economically fortunate out.
I hate to agree but..... They are politically the bluest in the state but they want to help the poor as long as they aren't living within Chapel Hill. Democratic think tank without the ugly day to day problems or desire to implement in their own town. Cary has a similar reputation but theirs is based on income whereas Chapel Hills is based on educational prestige.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:45 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,328,044 times
Quote:
You're off base on this, I think. My kids' elementary school in Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a Title 1 school, meaning 40% or more of kids qualify for free or reduced meals. It's an excellent school with dedicated teachers and staff and they and the kids do amazing things.

It is interesting that this is your perception because the reality for me is the opposite. I could not afford to buy more house or pay the taxes if it were in Chapel Hill. BTW, I do not live in a McMansion, my house is under 2500 square feet.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 PM

6,348 posts, read 5,438,911 times
Quote:
You're off base on this, I think. My kids' elementary school in Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a Title 1 school, meaning 40% or more of kids qualify for free or reduced meals. It's an excellent school with dedicated teachers and staff and they and the kids do amazing things.

I grew up in Cary/Apex; in a few of those nice new upper-middle class neighborhoods. I'd say you are right. Cary is much more of a "keep the riff-raff out" kind of town.

Chapel Hill is far more socio-economically diverse than Cary; and really most of the Triangle outside Durham and inner-Raleigh.

If you think CHCCS schools are full of privileged white kids whose parents are trying to keep them away from poor minorities you've probably never seen FPG, Ephesus, Estes Hills, or Carrboro elementary schools.

Kids who live in Meadowmont and The Oaks go to the same school (Rashkis Elementary) as those who live in South Estes public housing.

Are there entitled and snobby "Ivory Tower" families in CH? Hell yeah. Are they the majority of the population? Far from it. Again; having lived in both, I personally have noticed more snobbery in Cary/Apex than Chapel Hill.

If my career keeps me in the Chapel Hill area long-term I'd probably "settle" out in Hillsborough or Chatham County to be honest because you can get more house for your money and with lower taxes out there; but not because I think CH is too pretentious. I'll not deny that the politics of the place mean the powers at be ensure that driving in this area is as difficult as possible as to encourage walking and public transporation and that can be frustrating at times; but at least it has a little more personality than what most of the Triangle has become over the past 20 years.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 07-24-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,261,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I hate to agree but..... They are politically the bluest in the state but they want to help the poor as long as they aren't living within Chapel Hill. Democratic think tank without the ugly day to day problems or desire to implement in their own town. Cary has a similar reputation but theirs is based on income whereas Chapel Hills is based on educational prestige.
I really don't agree with that at all. Affordable housing is a very high priority in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. That's one of the reasons why there are so few new developments in town compared to places like Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc. There are so many hoops to jump through many developers build in Chatham County instead (hence Briar Chapel, Legend Oaks, etc). The town requires that any development have a 15% affordable housing units or that the developer contribute to an affordable housing fund in-lieu-fees.

Chapel Hill wants growth, but very tightly controlled growth, not sprawl. You can compare the Chapel Hill Affordable Housing Policy to the Cary Affordable Housing Initiative. Different approaches to similar problems.

City-Data reports household incomes about $20,000 lower in Chapel Hill than in Cary and almost $40,000 lower in Carrboro than in Cary.

Quote:
Estimated median household income in 2013: $65,004 (it was $39,140 in 2000)
Chapel Hill: $65,004
NC: $45,906

Estimated per capita income in 2013: $36,216 (it was $24,133 in 2000)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Chapel...#ixzz3grlq4TII
Quote:
Estimated median household income in 2013: $50,037 (it was $33,527 in 2000)
Carrboro: $50,037

Estimated per capita income in 2013: $33,994 (it was $21,429 in 2000)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carrbo...#ixzz3grs19fPe
Quote:
Estimated median household income in 2013: $89,405 (it was $75,122 in 2000)
Cary: $89,405

Estimated per capita income in 2013: $43,337 (it was $32,974 in 2000)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Cary-N...#ixzz3grm6SMbU

I think people who choose to live in Chapel Hill and Carrboro do so because they really like the college town vibe and the good schools and of course if their job is close by. And people who choose to live in Cary do so because they like the safe suburban, good schools, great-place-to-raise-a-family vibe. People who choose Chapel Hill often spend more to live here because they value the culture of the town. They aren't all rich folk, though.

Last edited by poppydog; 07-24-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,261,299 times
For the record Chapel Hill and Carrboro taxes are high in part because they fund programs that help lower income people such as the city-wide completely free bus system, the excellent schools (CHCCS provides much more local funding than WCPSS), the recently rebuilt library (with the largest per capita circulation of any library in the state), etc. If you really want to delve into it you can see the town budget at Town of Chapel Hill, NC : 2015-2016 Recommended Budget . One of the first line items is in support of affordable housing.

Speaking for myself and my family, we're happy to pay more taxes when they go for good services like the town of Chapel Hill provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary