Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

It's suburbia, there are kids are all over. No one can possibly tell you where there will be kids the same age as your kids, who want to do the same things, at the same times. We live in a neighborhood in Cary - there are a lot of girls my DD's age - but they all live on the other side of the neighborhood. Every kid who lives on this side and is her age is a boy - every single one. It's actually pretty odd.
Add to this my DD doesn't like to do typical "girl things" but is at an age where the boys don't really want to play with girls, and her social life is a bit of a challenge.
Your questions makes sense in the overall "what I want" scheme but you seem to be asking about actual street-level specifics which no one can give you. There's over 100K people in Cary, and maybe 20 of them are posting on this board.

I'm not sure you'll get into Amberly for $1500 a month rent. But I agree with pp who noted that newer neighborhoods will have younger kids, but you'll also find neighborhoods that are about 20 years old starting to turn over.

I couldn't live in Amberly either. I've been to the pool there several times and it's wonderful but it would wear on me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 AM

42 posts, read 45,962 times
Something about Amberlu I didn't like... Maybe it was the newness, and not charming establishes... IDK-- maybe I'm reaching... Halloween!! That's the perfect question

Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Your biggest issue is going to be renting in a high priced area. Finding a decent house should be your first priority. Even if there are kids in the neighborhood it doesn't mean it will be your child's playdate utopia. It's my experience that between school and extra curricular activities most kids in the triangle live very scheduled lives. Find a good house in a safe neighborhood, get involved with community and school activities and the friend situation will work itself out.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:17 PM

Thanks everyone! You guys have all been so helpful!!! We're coming from an older home that we own, so really while "newness" is cool, it's not a necessity... besides, if we're renting, someone else can worry about the issues, right?! That's what we were thinking. We've actually had a lot of luck finding some homes in our budget! Hopefully we will make a decision by Monday... and if not, then its not meant to be

Thanks a lot! You've all given me a lot of great input!

Old 07-25-2015, 05:57 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,754,316 times
I have checked out tons of Cary neighborhoods and if you want to generalize -other posters have said the same thing. New construction or houses built less than 5 years have the youngest kids. The older homes have kids who are grown up and in college. But those are the neighborhoods with nice, tall mature trees and creates a great look! All these new neighborhoods and their rinky dink trees!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
For your budget, being open to townhouses will greatly increase your neighborhood options.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 AM

Redzin, we've actually seen some nice houses for our budget. I don't mind an older home because that's what we own now... Again, just being able to live in Cary, around Raleigh and be around my kind of civilization (not a 4 road town that people consider a city), is amenity enough so that is not a huge deal either. For right now, and probably for the next 5 years, we don't want to own! With the expense, time, and energy of owning a home, we feel that renting may be better suited for us. So longer rental opportunity is really what we're aiming for...and from what we've seen, the established neighborhoods is going to be a better fit.

I'm trying to keep things simple... I walked away from Amberly, a beautiful home within our budget, with new everything... Why?! Because it didn't feel "homely" it didn't feel like us. It felt like somewhere to live for "show." Probably doesn't make sense to some.... Oh well!
Waiting for that moment when we walk in the door and feel like "this is it!" "This is the one!"

Old 07-26-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I have checked out tons of Cary neighborhoods and if you want to generalize -other posters have said the same thing. New construction or houses built less than 5 years have the youngest kids. The older homes have kids who are grown up and in college. But those are the neighborhoods with nice, tall mature trees and creates a great look! All these new neighborhoods and their rinky dink trees!
Definitely rinky dink!!! I've complained about our home and neighborhood for so long, and now that we're moving, I'm really appreciating the charm and community feeling an established neighborhood creates!!!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post
Redzin, we've actually seen some nice houses for our budget. I don't mind an older home because that's what we own now... Again, just being able to live in Cary, around Raleigh and be around my kind of civilization (not a 4 road town that people consider a city), is amenity enough so that is not a huge deal either. For right now, and probably for the next 5 years, we don't want to own! With the expense, time, and energy of owning a home, we feel that renting may be better suited for us. So longer rental opportunity is really what we're aiming for...and from what we've seen, the established neighborhoods is going to be a better fit.

I'm trying to keep things simple... I walked away from Amberly, a beautiful home within our budget, with new everything... Why?! Because it didn't feel "homely" it didn't feel like us. It felt like somewhere to live for "show." Probably doesn't make sense to some.... Oh well!
Waiting for that moment when we walk in the door and feel like "this is it!" "This is the one!"
I prefer mature neighborhoods, too.

Was actually thinking of having greater school choice and choice of areas with kids for your daughter.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 24,023 times
I agree. Newer neighborhoods = more kids. Morrisville and western Cary have lots of new neighborhoods. Amberly is just one of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary