Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
unless hand rolled with NY Water it aint a bagel
No way, that would eliminate all of the great and grand bagels in northern NJ and NJ has awesome bagels too.

I like bagel bar in Chapel Hill - taste is exactly the same, but sometimes they flatten and I don't know why. Same thing happened when I tried to make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
No way, that would eliminate all of the great and grand bagels in northern NJ and NJ has awesome bagels too.
Some of the best bagels I've ever had came from a strip mall in Secaucus.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I always like it when Yankees move down here and stop whining about their bagels, North Carolina is a barbecue region not a bagel region. I wouldn't move to New York and whine that I couldn't find a good peach pie, why? Because New York is not Georgia, I knew that going in.
Green Kitchen, 74th and first. Damn that was good pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
It's a bagel, a round piece of bread with a hole in the middle, I was born and raised in New York and you know where I got mine? Shop Rite...
Steven, then you have no one to blame but yourself. ShopRite bagels have always and continue to suck. They are cheap, I'll give them that. And sometimes, a donut shaped bread will hit the spot, but don't pretend they're bagels.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Some of the best bagels I've ever had came from a strip mall in Secaucus.
I believe it. There's a place in Clifton that is now my gold standard.

Having said that, I'm going to give Bruegger's a try

Old 07-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Green Kitchen, 74th and first. Damn that was good pie.

Steven, then you have no one to blame but yourself. ShopRite bagels have always and continue to suck. They are cheap, I'll give them that. And sometimes, a donut shaped bread will hit the spot, but don't pretend they're bagels.
Exactly. Steven is a complete bagel poser.

Also it's really ok to eat something besides barbecue.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
I'm 37 and have been eating bagels since I was a little kid, yes, in Texas. Spoken like true Northerner's discounting my tastes because I am from TX. I am on your side guys, I haven't had bagels as good as what I've had in NY, short of maybe one place. There was a restaurant, in Richmond of all places, called Obreinstein's. It was a restaurant that instead of bread being brought to your table, it was fresh made bagels. They had a plexiglass enclosure in the middle where you could watch them being made fresh. They were pretty amazing, mainly because you got them within 5 minutes of them being done.

And finally, did you just question a Texan's ability to know good Mexican food? You're straight up crazy if so. The Mexican food in NC is almost completely 100% garbage. At least we have a Chuy's here now, my favorite Tex-Mex (new mex, calmex, whatever you're used to it being called). I also hate when people get pretentious and say, "Oh, Chuy's isn't Mexican food", no kidding! PF Changs isn't Chinese food!, no kidding! People get so hung up on what is considered authentic, instead of just enjoying food for food.
Mostly, I was just having some tongue in cheek fun, that's all, but......

But since you asked, first and foremost, I was replying to Mich, not you, so not only was I not discounting you because you were from Texas, I was not even talking to you. (see who I quoted, that is who I was responding to).

As for Mexican food, YES. Yes I did. I've actually had some fine Mexican food in Texas, but most of what I've had there is Tex Mex. So yeah, Chuy's is not true Mexican Food. Note, I didn't say it was bad, I just said it wasn't good mexican food (because it's not Mexican food, so "good" is irrelavant.

All that said, (and yes, it was in fun), I 100% agree with your last statement. I absolutely LOVE to poke fun at people from all places, but at the end of the day, if it taste good, and you enjoy it, that's all that counts. You'll see me poke fun in a lot of my posts, but you'll also see me say often that taste is subjective, and it really doesn't matter much what "I" think, as long as "you" are enjoying your meal, and visa-versa.

Now that that's settled, I really expected someone from Texas to bash my on my BBQ comment, not the Mexican Food comment.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
unless hand rolled with NY Water it aint a bagel
That is a crock - said in my best LI accent!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:33 PM

110 posts, read 204,199 times
I like Big Apple Bagel on Durant - they are fantastic

Old 07-27-2015, 02:34 PM

252 posts, read 275,913 times
bagel's + in Fuquay Varina is good

Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I like Brueggers and all their yummy cream cheese. All of Dunkin Donuts items that aren't coffee or donuts are disgusting and over priced IMO. Wanted to like Paneras bagels(love everything else) put they were dry inside. The texture was off. Now I've never had a bagel from NY but I've tried my fair share locally and Brueggers wins hands down. Everything bagel with cream cheese and cucumber,sprouts and onion,be still my beating heart and I was just across from the Garner location and didn't stop. Darn it!!!! Yes, Garner ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary