Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM

41 posts, read 115,486 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone --

Coming down there president's week and was interested in what you thought of Garner. I am looking at the sections which are associated with schools such as Riverwood and Cleveland Elementary. I know Riverwood is Clayton -- the Garner sections are Chadbourne, Breezeway, Adams Point.

We are relocating from Huntington, LLoyd Harbor area -- I know its hard to compare the schools from there but I was just wondering about anyone's ideas on these areas. I hear these are very good schools.
And if anyone knows of other areas we should check out when we come down next month.

Thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM

214 posts, read 700,193 times
Although I do not live over there, the area I think you are interested in is referred to as 40/42 area or Cleveland section. It encompasses areas of Clayton and Garner (and others I am sure) and can straddle several different counties including Johnston and Wake County. This will affect your school assignment. The schools you mentioned are in Johnston County although Riverwood is not in that area. The other elementary schools you might be looking at include Polenta and West View. It is a nice area and is growing rapidly. I think I read in the Smithfield Cleveland Herald that it is one of the fastest growing sections in the area and will likely incorporate into its own town in the next 10 years. I found the FM Realty website extremely helpful is sorting out what schools were assigned to different neighborhoods. It is very confusing for sure.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM

thanks for your post !!

It will be very confusing, especially till I get down there looking into everything first hand. I really appreciate this forum very much especially for that reason. I will look into the fm site

Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,215,526 times
Hi ny to nc,

will this be your first visit? We did our first last May. Garner seems closer on the map, I thought, than it really is. Part of the blame is because the roads are so straight and flat. But it seemed like an okay place to live in my opinion, less HOA hassles it seems.

I haven't been to that exact area you are describing, but I plan to when I go this Spring. We are moving there this summer, but maybe as late as December if things go slower than planned with the work transfer.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM

85 posts, read 198,596 times
I've always viewed Garner as a 'bubba burb'. Esp compared to Cary. However, it is growing tremendously around the I-40/US 70 area into Johnston Co. I don't go thru that area too often but I'm sure in another 5-10 yrs, it will be heavily populated in terms of sprawl. There currently are some very nice upscale pockets of subdivisions going up currently in that area.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM

this will be our second visit -- we visited last summer also -- in the wake county area -- cary, apex, raleigh --

We are looking at coming down for good in the summer also -- probably more towards Aug/Sept -- thanks for your reply

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

I hear also that there is a big population growth going on there -- the new mall -- white oak crossing seems very nice -- I am looking forward to seeing myself how everything is growing --

I was wondering if anyone is living in these areas now which have some opinions on them? We were looking at some upscale communities
thanks for your post

Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM

36 posts, read 131,929 times
I've mostly been researching the high schools but the schools in Clayton seem to score better than the ones in Garner if you are concerned about that.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM

I am definetly interested in the schools, I have a kindergartener and a 7th grade -- two boys --

I know that johnston county schools are good -- like east clayton, riverwood, cleveland elementary -- some of these are homes in garner which are zoned for these schools like chadbourne

Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,085,380 times
Many mixed reviews on Garner, especially schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary