Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'd rather a seller offer to sell to me for X-minus cost of necessary repairs than have the seller complete repairs.

So, you get a contract at $400,000.
And you do a home inspection and appraisal.

The home inspection shows about $2000 in repairs.
The appraisal opinion is $415,000, which you and your agent supported via CMA when writing the offer.

As a buyer, does it matter a great deal if you get money or repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 AM

252 posts, read 275,832 times
[quote=RedZin;40700868]I'd rather a seller offer to sell to me for X-minus cost of necessary repairs than have the seller complete repairs.[/QUOT

Great point, then the new owner can get the repairs done by their person of choice and it will be up to their standards. Sometimes, I can imagine the standards of the seller are not the same as the buyer (even though I understand there is a final walk through to ensure the repairs are up to buyer standards).

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
[quote=spsmith713;40700921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'd rather a seller offer to sell to me for X-minus cost of necessary repairs than have the seller complete repairs.[/QUOT

Great point, then the new owner can get the repairs done by their person of choice and it will be up to their standards. Sometimes, I can imagine the standards of the seller are not the same as the buyer (even though I understand there is a final walk through to ensure the repairs are up to buyer standards).
This is my reason for wanting to handle any repairs myself. I can ensure a qualified person is doing the work and worry that the seller is more concerned with doing repairs on the cheap then finding a qualified repair person.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 AM

72 posts, read 91,056 times
You know, we thought about that. But the nature of the repairs is so low-level that we could offer maybe $500 in concessions. That's how minor these issues are. The buyer has already made it clear that he wants to get up to $8,000 in concessions. (Not sure where that number comes in.) But caulking the sink won't get us there, and he's under the impression that repairing one cracked tile = a new floor. It's just a weird situation. He's also stated that move-in ready to him means that everything is perfect. So... maybe a difficult buyer?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu529 View Post
You know, we thought about that. But the nature of the repairs is so low-level that we could offer maybe $500 in concessions. That's how minor these issues are. The buyer has already made it clear that he wants to get up to $8,000 in concessions. (Not sure where that number comes in.) But caulking the sink won't get us there, and he's under the impression that repairing one cracked tile = a new floor. It's just a weird situation. He's also stated that move-in ready to him means that everything is perfect. So... maybe a difficult buyer?

This is where real estate gets to be fun.
And difficult.

You just may not have found your real buyer yet.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And difficult.

You just may not have found your real buyer yet.
I agree!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:36 AM

72 posts, read 91,056 times
That's what I told the agent, but we're trying to keep things moving along. The repairs, FWIW, aren't on a $400k house. We're under $200K.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 AM

424 posts, read 462,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And difficult.
It can certainly be interesting at times. My last house sale in Florida had a borderline Radon reading, which is just like every other house in that area due some specific geotechnical conditions. Since I had already relocated, and it was a buyers market, the buyers used it to extract a few thousand more in concessions. They knew I wasn't going to risk the deal, and more carrying costs, for a few grand. Frustrating but well played on the buyers part. I'm 99% sure that money didn't go towards a radon remediation system :-)

Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
not every buyer can take the money off the price. now, using a reasonable estimate and applying that towards their closing costs, which is cash out of hand, works well usually.

I certainly hope, as Mike has at least alluded to, that the Buyer's Agent has privately counseled them that there's nothing wrong with asking for everything. It's expecting everything where it becomes an issue.

It's a tricky business. We can't possibly manage the emotional reactions of the party we don't represent and counsel. If I have a Buyer that only asks for the important things in an inspection and the Seller thinks it's a full-blown negotiation and they can say no to half the stuff, then how does the Buyer, who was reasonable, begin to feel?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM

66 posts, read 77,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
It's a tricky business. We can't possibly manage the emotional reactions of the party we don't represent and counsel. If I have a Buyer that only asks for the important things in an inspection and the Seller thinks it's a full-blown negotiation and they can say no to half the stuff, then how does the Buyer, who was reasonable, begin to feel?
Absolutely spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary