Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 9,766 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are here for a househunting trip, and it looks like in our price range/commute preferences, we're having to look hard at Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina. What are opinions on these places? How would the commute be to NC State Centennial campus?

You certainly get more bang for your buck out there, and they have all the suburban delights reasonably close, but it feels like the boonies. I kinda wanted the city stuff (hip restaurants, etc) of Raleigh or Durham.

And it's funny I complain about that - I'm an aging hipster, who's really just a homebody with a baby on the way. Chances are I wouldn't use the city stuff that much anyways. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Check out Brighton Forest in northeast FV. It is very convenient to DT Raleigh, especially if you take the back roads. It is also a short distance to lots of good stuff in Cary. It is also as close as 25 minutes to RTP if you ever needed or wanted to go there. It is a gorgeous development, not cookie cutter and not clearcut......at least not as of three years ago.

It has an Apex mailing address and zip code, but it is actually located in an area which FV annexed. Don't get fooled into thinking ALL of FV is far from everything. Part is and part is not. And both the Fuquay and Varina downtowns have very quaint and interesting places to check out.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Fuquay will add probably 30 minutes to your commute. The traffic going into Fuquay via Holly Springs is getting to be a pain in the butt. I live in HS and sometimes have to pick up my kids in north fuquay and it easily adds 30 minutes to go 5 miles, normally a 10 minute trip. 55 and Sunset lake can be a pain. However it might be great in 10 years when 540 finally finishes up.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Fuquay will add probably 30 minutes to your commute. The traffic going into Fuquay via Holly Springs is getting to be a pain in the butt. I live in HS and sometimes have to pick up my kids in north fuquay and it easily adds 30 minutes to go 5 miles, normally a 10 minute trip. 55 and Sunset lake can be a pain. However it might be great in 10 years when 540 finally finishes up.
Not if they pick Brighton Forest, as they want to commute to NC State Centennial campus.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Nice places to live for families and lots of suburban ammenities, but not much in the way of "hip restaurants", coffee shops, or even bookstores. You can always drive into downtown Raleigh for that, but aside from a few hidden gems don't expect to find much in that part of Wake County.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:52 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
yeah Brighton Forest seems to be in a better spot, I don't drive 401 much but Johnson pond on the other side it usually pretty wide open as well.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:58 AM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Great places you will get more for the$$$ .. Development in terms of shops/retail is slow though. just look at the NC DOT for the expansion route of 540.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
yeah Brighton Forest seems to be in a better spot, I don't drive 401 much but Johnson pond on the other side it usually pretty wide open as well.
Exactly. Best to stay off 401 during rush hour. Better, more scenic routes to take.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 9,766 times
We made the drive from the prospective house on the HS/FV line to the centenniel campus. Even with little traffic, it was a punishing drive. I can't imagine how it would be during rush hour. We might just pay more and live closer.

Brighton Forest looks nice, but it's a bit out of our price range. We're trying not to go above 280k, and even that will be a stretch.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 AM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
South Durham/Southpoint might be worth a look, a lot of families who work in RTP live around there, and you're not too far away from the hip spots in downtown Durham or CH/Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary