Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,259,097 times

Advertisements

That article is silly. Raleigh (and the Triangle) definitely has a good music scene, but better than Chicago and New Orleans?!

Been to too many good concerts.

Nirvana at the Cradle was pretty awesome, but so many other good shows, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:35 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,252,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
For me, I would say the Dead at the Dean Dome in '93 is the tops.

As for runners up:
Rolling Stones this summer was great.
Roger Waters: The Wall was amazing back in 2012.

Recently, I have been more into smaller bands at smaller venues.
Lotus at the Cats Cradle
Tauk at Lincoln Theatre
93 at the DeanDome was aweful (except for a stellar Going Down the Road Feeling Bad), but Carter Finley in 1990 was a great show, with the power going out during a storm in the first set, and the crowd taking the (then grass, now seats) hill during Big River ("and I'm a gonna sit right here until I die") Great memories! [EDIT: Bruce Hornsby opening act, and he came out to sit with them for a a few songs. All before he becaue a quasi-member of the band a couple years later.]

Other fun shows in Raliegh that I can recall:
Pink Floyd, also at Carter Finley
Hole (believe it or not, a great show!) at Ritz
Allman Bros in (I think it was) 1989 at Walnut Creek was a great show!

As for recent small shows (My preference)
Living Color in Cat's Cradle was great
Gov't Mule outside the Lincoln a few years ago

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

But back to the Dead: Seriously, listen to what they were doing in 89/90 compared to anything after Sept 1990 (Sans Brent Mydland, and Jerry on the downslide). Check out Charlotte in October 1989. OMG (and of course, Hampton '89. Yikes!!!!!) One of my favorite shows of all time was the show after the Carter Finley Show I mentioned above. RFK in DC. Was just listening to recordings of that the other day. Probably the best (of many) show of their I saw.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,745,543 times
Agree, that Carter-Finley show was great. I snuck down to front row and had the time of my life.

Some other big highlights in local shows for me were:
- The Cure at Page Auditorium at Duke for Disintegration
- Jane's Addiction at the Rialto (I'd missed out on the Brewery show 2-3 months before)

And in recent years:
- Megafaun at an outdoor day party at Hopscotch. Adam Granduciel from War On Drugs joined them for several songs.
- Fleet Foxes at Red Hat before ending early with a huge storm

Old 08-06-2015, 09:05 AM

204 posts, read 382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
93 at the DeanDome was aweful (except for a stellar Going Down the Road Feeling Bad), but Carter Finley in 1990 was a great show, with the power going out during a storm in the first set, and the crowd taking the (then grass, now seats) hill during Big River ("and I'm a gonna sit right here until I die") Great memories! [EDIT: Bruce Hornsby opening act, and he came out to sit with them for a a few songs. All before he becaue a quasi-member of the band a couple years later.]

But back to the Dead: Seriously, listen to what they were doing in 89/90 compared to anything after Sept 1990 (Sans Brent Mydland, and Jerry on the downslide). Check out Charlotte in October 1989. OMG (and of course, Hampton '89. Yikes!!!!!) One of my favorite shows of all time was the show after the Carter Finley Show I mentioned above. RFK in DC. Was just listening to recordings of that the other day. Probably the best (of many) show of their I saw.
You are definitely correct, on the downslide, but the second night in 93 with Chinacat Sunflower into I Know You Rider was great. They also covered The Weight to close the night, and I love The Band. In my opinion those were some of the last great shows before the end a few years later. Though the Europe tour in 72 is their gold standard, and when they were in their prime. I didn't come along until a couple of years later! I did find a B&W recording of their '78 show at Cameron Indoor (on youtube) that I need to give a listen.

I have heard legend about that 90 show at Carter Finley with the power outage, but I didn't move to NC until later that year.

I like your taste in music, love Warren Haynes. Good list.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,539,107 times
Kind of a half-baked list. I'm gobsmacked with the Chicago artist listings. Buddy Guy IS Chicago blues.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Agree, that Carter-Finley show was great. I snuck down to front row and had the time of my life.

Some other big highlights in local shows for me were:
- The Cure at Page Auditorium at Duke for Disintegration
- Jane's Addiction at the Rialto (I'd missed out on the Brewery show 2-3 months before)

And in recent years:
- Megafaun at an outdoor day party at Hopscotch. Adam Granduciel from War On Drugs joined them for several songs.
- Fleet Foxes at Red Hat before ending early with a huge storm
Was that Jane's Addiction show before 1990? I saw they played Chapel Hill that year. That must of been right before I was old enough to see shows.
I missed the Memorial auditorium show few years ago. Regret that severely ,especially since their opening band Die Antwoord became one of my favorite groups literally within a couple months after the show.

Please Red Hat booking :Jane's Addiction.....

Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,259,097 times
I saw Jane's Addiction play Lollapalooza at Walnut Creek w/ Nine Inch Nails, Ice T, etc. I think it was '91. Got some killer pictures of Trent Reznor covered in mud.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,979,574 times
Quote:

You're forgetting the Dead's Greensboro shows in 1991. Not the Triangle, techincally, but better than any other North Carolina shows they played in the 90s. The Carter-Finley show was good, but nothing special compared to the rest of that summer tour (e.g. two nights later in Washington). 1991 was as good a year as 1989-1990, and a lot more adventurous in some ways.

But this thread isn't supposed to be just about the Dead anyway. Since moving down here, I've seen some great shows, although more of them have been in Durham than Raleigh (just bought tickets to Nick Lowe, Bettye Levette and Yo La Tengo for this fall, too).

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM

595 posts, read 674,180 times
Quote:
That show was awesome!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I saw Jane's Addiction play Lollapalooza at Walnut Creek w/ Nine Inch Nails, Ice T, etc. I think it was '91. Got some killer pictures of Trent Reznor covered in mud.
I did make that one. If I could change one thing it would of been the line up schedule. Trent Reaznor is an after dark kind of artist. Much of the stage show wasn't very theatric when laser lights and smoke machines are going off in the early afternoon. Some shows need to be at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary