Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM

17,993 posts, read 15,607,774 times

Advertisements

And also, if you need to get from Point A to Point B and your bike is your transportation, the greenways don't usually get you there, simple as that. No one wants to cycle in 45mph traffic, it's not pleasurable. There are people commuting on bikes who don't have many options. It's not legal for bicycles to ride on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 AM

261 posts, read 306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Greenways have a speed limit, and the average road cyclist goes a good bit beyond that limit. Greenways are NOT the place for road cyclists. It's not a viable option. They encounter the opposite problems there, they have to slow down and wait behind walkers, joggers, and stroller moms walking two abreast! Ever been on a greenway and had a roadie come flying by you at 20+ mph?
Oh, ok, now I see! This statement here sums it all up really well but here are the cliff notes anyway....

It is ok for a "road cyclist" to hold up motorists on a road where there is a posted speed limit (say 45mph), but it is NOT ok for a lesser form of cyclist, a pedestrian mother with stroller, person walking their leashed dog, a jogger or when it comes down to it, anything moving slower than the road cyclist, to hold up that road cyclist without being berated for it because it aggravates and interrupts the road cyclist.

Oh, and for the record, I have never been driving my vehicle and had the pleasure of a cyclist moving anywhere near 20+mph, that would be heavenly compared to the speeds I've had to maintain for these people...

Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,264,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Oh, ok, now I see! This statement here sums it all up really well but here are the cliff notes anyway....

It is ok for a "road cyclist" to hold up motorists on a road where there is a posted speed limit (say 45mph), but it is NOT ok for a lesser form of cyclist, a pedestrian mother with stroller, person walking their leashed dog, a jogger or when it comes down to it, anything moving slower than the road cyclist, to hold up that road cyclist without being berated for it because it aggravates and interrupts the road cyclist.

Oh, and for the record, I have never been driving my vehicle and had the pleasure of a cyclist moving anywhere near 20+mph, that would be heavenly compared to the speeds I've had to maintain for these people...
You sort missed the point. The Greenway speed limit (posted) is 10 MPH. Road cyclists ride faster than that and therefore a greenway is not the place for them to train as others have suggested here.

Been in Raleigh 10 years now and have somehow manage to get along with cyclists on the road. Surprised by all the angry people on this forum.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 AM

261 posts, read 306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You sort missed the point. The Greenway speed limit (posted) is 10 MPH. Road cyclists ride faster than that and therefore a greenway is not the place for them to train as others have suggested here.

Been in Raleigh 10 years now and have somehow manage to get along with cyclists on the road. Surprised by all the angry people on this forum.
No point missed at all NR_Guy. I understood it clearly and sympathize actually with what would be the frustration of the cyclists attempting to use the greenways for their purposes - it is similar to motorists using roadways for their purposes, I believe it's the same sentiment from both communities. For the most part, I manage to get along just fine with the cyclists and I live in ground zero for their training and mini Tour de France events (Possum Track, Six Forks, Raven Ridge, Norwood Rd., etc). I am not surprised by the "angry" people complaining about cyclists, I used to be much more angry about it but have come to realize the situation is not just going to away and that it is their right to use the roadways. My beef remains only with those who exert their rights in inflammatory ways that clearly represent doing so is their choice to NOT facilitate motor vehicle traffic flow when clearly possible.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post

Right. Over. Your. Head.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,585,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Surprised by all the angry people on this forum.
This thread turned into an invitation for twits to come out of the woodwork, and there are so many!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM

6,818 posts, read 9,044,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
This thread turned into an invitation for twits to come out of the woodwork, and there are so many!
Twits are simply people you don't agree with. I happen to love stopgo's analysis of the situation. Can't we discuss the topic without calling people names?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 AM

510 posts, read 899,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Twits are simply people you don't agree with. I happen to love stopgo's analysis of the situation. Can't we discuss the topic without calling people names?
I think he is referring to the people who think the roads are for cars only, and those saying they are willing to take a chance at hitting a cyclist just to get somewhere faster.

tragic example here--bad decision by the truck driver. I don't know the road, but either way a husband and father died.

Truck driver found guilty in Raleigh cyclist death | abc11.com

Old 08-23-2015, 10:01 AM

510 posts, read 899,932 times
deleted post

Last edited by fvncresident04; 08-23-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:51 AM

6,818 posts, read 9,044,043 times
I think the driver deserved at least some jail time for killing a cyclist. But it's not up to me. I can appreciate the wive's perspective, she is more forgiving than I would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary