Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Would your current landlord write a letter for you? It might work as part of a negotiation with a future landlord "these people were great tenants and I have no damage from their pets that needs to be fixed"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
This is exactly why I have held off on getting a cat. Everyone in my family wants one but I am the one who has to find another rental in the future. I know from past experience just how hard that is. We already have a dog but like the OP has found cats are much harder. I completely blame irresponsible owners for this,those who don't get them fixed or provide CLEAN litter boxes. Cats in general are cleaner animals then dogs IMO when they are cared for properly.

Your budget is really low for any sfh,except maybe a mobile home. Even then it's not going to be in a "good" area. In that range you would be safer the more rural you go. Hate to say it but housing budget should never be based on financial aid for college. It seems like your going to pay for several bad decisions highly at this time. I could give you a land lords number if you want but most of his houses are pretty bad(few are ok just old and small). He is a slumlord but I know people that live in his houses and they have multiple pets. DM me if you are interested..

TBH I live in an undesirable area and even my rent is 1000 for a 1200sqft house sitting on a highway in walking distance to the hood. My next door neighbors sold crack and bred pit bulls till they were evicted. It's now a Hispanic Pentecostal church, ohh the wheels of gentrification sure move slower on the South side. Like I tell my DH, it's all just affordable rent security.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfishgumbo View Post
but we are going to be homeless because of our pets. This makes me SO and so at the same time.

You may have to decide that the best thing for the pets are to be rehomed..

If you & your daughter & the pets are homeless that isn't a good situation
for any of you...

If I were in your situation I would rehome them because that would be the
best situation for them and would improve the housing situation...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:25 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I truly understand that rehoming is not an acceptable solution for OP and daughter. What I don't understand is why you can't stay in your current rental in Holly Springs?

edited to add:

Actually, after reading some if your other threads (I thought I remembered some stuff from the recent past),
There's a lot going on here that doesn't make sense.

Your daughter graduated in April or May with her Master's Degree! Why is she still working in a low paying retail job??? What happened to the VA loan that you were approved for? There are plenty of townhouses that you could purchase that would solve the pet issue. Did you ever contact this GREAT organization that was suggested by another member? https://www.self-help.org/personal/l...mortgage-loans

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-23-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I truly understand that rehoming is not an acceptable solution for OP and daughter. What I don't understand is why you can't stay in your current rental in Holly Springs?

edited to add:

Actually, after reading some if your other threads (I thought I remembered some stuff from the recent past),
There's a lot going on here that doesn't make sense.

Your daughter graduated in April or May with her Master's Degree! Why is she still working in a low paying retail job??? What happened to the VA loan that you were approved for? There are plenty of townhouses that you could purchase that would solve the pet issue. Did you ever contact this GREAT organization that was suggested by another member? https://www.self-help.org/personal/l...mortgage-loans
I was wondering all those same things.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:07 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was wondering all those same things.
Because it would lessen the drama..... posts like this make me think I'm just spewing my opinion and practicing my rhetoric way more often then actually giving legitimate help. Sounds like this picnic basket is short a sandwich...,or several.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:

....but we are going to be homeless because of our pets. This makes me SO and so at the same time.
What will happen to your 2 dogs & 2 cats if you are homeless ????
It is wise to think through your options completely...

Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 AM

140 posts, read 255,023 times
Default Buddha says: Be Kind to Unkind People; They Need It the Most

First of all, let me thank the truly nice people who responded to me with suggestions that might be helpful and/or people who responded with concern and well wishes. I'm thankful that in this sea of diversity in which we live, there are still nice folk who just want to help, even if it's a good suggestion or a resounding "good luck"!

As for the haters that always seem to come out, well, I know we all open ourselves up to that when we post anything online. I see it every day when I read comments under any internet story, the conversation always strays to personal attacks on a poster, rather than commenting on the actual story itself. I haven't been on City-Data for a really long time, but in my time here I've seen the same thing happen - and not just to me - I really don't post that often - but to others who may seem a little flakey or odd or just different, but who do just come on the forum to discuss something or get other peoples' opinions - and many times, being the human beings we are, things turn ugly and hateful and mean. Some people feel the need to "investigate" the poster by reading other threads and feel they have a right to ask personal questions, why this, why that, like HOW DARE YOU ASK US ANYTHING AT ALL WHEN YOU HAVEN'T SUFFICIENTLY EXPLAINED THESE OTHER MATTERS YOU PREVIOUSLY POSTED.

At first, the head reels and the eyes smart, but on second glance and a few minutes to think about why people do this, you have to just laugh. Weed through it like you would picking seeds out of a watermelon, or throwing away those nasty, misshapen M & M's that just look GROSS even though they might taste okay. Because on the internet - there really are those who reach out to try to be a good human being to another human being - but there are always going to be those unsightly, hard-to-swallow nasty little things there too.

My daughter and I DID find a rental in Durham that will take our pets. REALLY nice property management company called Acorn & Oak (doncha just love the name?) - they are the best property management company I've found AND their pet fee IS refundable! How 'bout that? So all you NICE folk, if you happen to read another post from some pet-lovin' people in the Triangle area who are having difficulty, tell them to check out the Acorn & Oak folks.

As always, thanks for listening.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm sincerely glad it worked out for you, your daughter and the pets.

Now, I have to get back to eating my watermelon seeds.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
My daughter and I DID find a rental in Durham that will take our pets. REALLY nice property management company called Acorn & Oak (doncha just love the name?) - they are the best property management company I've found AND their pet fee IS refundable! How 'bout that?
Thank you for following up with the solution to your housing needs. The reference to Acon and Oak will help other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary