Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There are a multitude of reasons. The below link references Manhattan, which has more Sleepy's Stores than it does Best Buys, but this seems to be a thread in many different places, from Manhattan to Northwest Indiana to Boise, Idaho to Raleigh.

There are a handful of reasons. Mattress stores are very profitable (50% margin on a mattress.) They don't have to warehouse much, many times only paying the manufacturer after they sell the mattress, and they don't need expensive retail space, as you don't window shop a mattress, only going into one when you decide you need to buy it. Also, people won't order one off the internet, at least not in good numbers.

Why Are There So Many Sleepy's Mattress Stores? - Bloomberg Business
Fantastic explanation. Now I understand why the Original Mattress Factory is such a great place to shop.

Thanks so much for the great link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 06:14 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
The bedbugs need to live somewhere!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Once every 8-10 years studies say.
Studies don't say that. Stores which sell mattresses do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And those obnoxious little signs stuck on the roadsides! Sheesh.

My thought is that there is SO much profit to be made in a mattress that all these guys want a piece of the action. Me, I bought mine online.

I usually buy from Original Mattress Factory. However, this time I bought online. We bought a Casper. With their return policy there really is no reason to not just give it a try. Absolutely the best sleep I've had in years. I can usually fall asleep on command and not wake up until the rooster crows. But I never realized that I wasn't sleeping as good as I could until I slept on the Casper. It took about a month for my body to adjust to being fully supported but holy crap what a difference.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My conspiracy theory is that they are owned by the corner drugstores:

They are selling crappy mattresses to fuel the need for more pain meds. With a CVS or Walgreens on every other corner, they need to do something to keep up demand.
HAHA I was going to comment that they need to match the number of pharmacies but I like you theory better!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
Costco is the place to buy one, once. They took back my 4 year old 12-inch memory foam one that really messed up my spine. Full refund.

However, store and online stock did not meet needs to match what I later found at Original Mattress Factory!

(Margins must be sky-high to justify all the stores!)

Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,592 times
Didn't like Original Mattress Factory. All their mattresses seemed dated and old technology. Went to Sleepy's during 50% off sale, price match with competitor + 10% off. Also matched Amazon for for frame and mattress pad. I basically got the mattress for $20 more then their cost (caught a glimpse of the computer). Original Mattress Factory didn't budge, I saved over 400 dollars and got a better mattress with longer warranty. To each his own though, for me I found a good deal at sleepys. I am sure Costco is good also.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 AM

610 posts, read 745,681 times
I had noticed that there seemed to be a gazillion of these around here. Rather disappointing to see a store being built then seeing a sign that says a mattress store is coming soon. I'm like, "WHY!?!?!"

Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
We replaced ours a couple months ago with one from Mattress Firm. I am sure they make a pretty penny at $3,600 a pop, but the support and coolness are worth every one of those pennies. A mattress is not the place to cut corners, as tempting as that may be. I figure all the stores is just a form of advertising. See the same thing every single day, day after day, and when it's time to buy...guess what pops into your mind?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Didn't like Original Mattress Factory. All their mattresses seemed dated and old technology. Went to Sleepy's during 50% off sale, price match with competitor + 10% off. Also matched Amazon for for frame and mattress pad. I basically got the mattress for $20 more then their cost (caught a glimpse of the computer). Original Mattress Factory didn't budge, I saved over 400 dollars and got a better mattress with longer warranty. To each his own though, for me I found a good deal at sleepys. I am sure Costco is good also.
OMF's policy is like that of the late Saturn Corporation. No sales or gimmicks. The price you see today is the one you'll see tomorrow. No pressure.

I find it refreshing.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 AM

52 posts, read 59,805 times
I asked the husband this very question while out last weekend...

Raleigh has an estimated 67 new residents every day. If none of them feel like packing up their old mattress, I guess a trip to the mattress store will be needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary