Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:32 PM

63 posts, read 61,991 times

Advertisements

hello all, we're planning to move to Raleigh in Nov and am really concern about the schools area. i have two children in (boy) 6th and (girl)9th grade,.
we are basing our choice of accommodation base on the school area. so please advice me where can we get the top schools in Raleigh.
We are also considering downtown Raleigh but would like to know the quality of schools there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,337,646 times
Info here:

District Search Results Page

Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,741,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antvok View Post
hello all, we're planning to move to Raleigh in Nov and am really concern about the schools area. i have two children in (boy) 6th and (girl)9th grade,.
we are basing our choice of accommodation base on the school area. so please advice me where can we get the top schools in Raleigh.
We are also considering downtown Raleigh but would like to know the quality of schools there.
You may not be aware that NC uses primarily county-based school districts, meaning the whole county (Wake) is ONE school district. Assignment may not be exactly address-based as in some places.

Here is a link to a fact sheet about the school district; also I would poke around that Wake Cty Schools site in general.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You may not be aware that NC uses primarily county-based school districts, meaning the whole county (Wake) is ONE school district. Assignment may not be exactly address-based as in some places.

Here is a link to a fact sheet about the school district; also I would poke around that Wake Cty Schools site in general.
thank you for the link, we'll do more browsing, have seen some post talking about how their children had to be transfer from one school to another, so the school issue is very important to us

Old 08-21-2015, 01:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,741,959 times
Quote:
thank you for the link, we'll do more browsing, have seen some post talking about how their children had to be transfer from one school to another, so the school issue is very important to us
This is one of the largest and fastest-growing school districts in the country, and you can only build new schools so fast, so they are constantly filling up and trying to reassign to even the load. Then when a new school IS built, there is shuffling around to redistribute the students affected by the new school. Some school boards in recent years have angered people more, or less, than others, but explosive growth is always going to mean shuffling kids around when you're in one of the (literally) fastest-growing counties in the US, and there is no perfect solution.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,842,771 times
Quote:
Private schooling would be my choice, because of the way the school system is set up, the politicization of the school board and the population growth of the area.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Private schooling would be my choice, because of the way the school system is set up, the politicization of the school board and the population growth of the area.
yes the private schools are great,raleigh top the best school rating in the whole of NC. so i know the top schools are right there and that'll save us a lot compare to enrolling of children in private school. thanks so much for your input

Old 08-21-2015, 03:22 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,099,536 times
you've got a new middle schooler and a new high schooler. Trust us when we tell you, 100,000 people have moved to Wake County before you that have been just as focused (because concerned isn't the right word) on the schools their children attended as you are now.

The schools is NOT going to make your child. Your family is going to make the school.

In general, the schools are good. Like anywhere with a school system of 150K kids, there's a % that are subpar, a gigantic middle of "just fine to really good" and a select few that would truly be exceptional - though those few are that way because of their vastly greater socioeconomic attendee makeup.

You're not (likely) going to find cheap housing in a great middle/high school setup. You're also not going to find expensive housing in a bad school area.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you've got a new middle schooler and a new high schooler. Trust us when we tell you, 100,000 people have moved to Wake County before you that have been just as focused (because concerned isn't the right word) on the schools their children attended as you are now.

The schools is NOT going to make your child. Your family is going to make the school.

In general, the schools are good. Like anywhere with a school system of 150K kids, there's a % that are subpar, a gigantic middle of "just fine to really good" and a select few that would truly be exceptional - though those few are that way because of their vastly greater socioeconomic attendee makeup.

You're not (likely) going to find cheap housing in a great middle/high school setup. You're also not going to find expensive housing in a bad school area.
i do agree, that it is the home that makes the child, but you want to enrol your kids where you know that they'll continue n' add to what you've imparted in them. Been searching craiglist, looking at Glenwood South, though the rent is quite high, which i believe it because most of the top 10 schools/charter are located close to this Glenwood. thanks for all the imput , really appreciate it all

Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,017,568 times
Quote:
i do agree, that it is the home that makes the child, but you want to enrol your kids where you know that they'll continue n' add to what you've imparted in them. Been searching craiglist, looking at Glenwood South, though the rent is quite high, which i believe it because most of the top 10 schools/charter are located close to this Glenwood. thanks for all the imput , really appreciate it all
Stop and listen to what people are telling you. You are going to stress yourself out over something completely avoidable. If you support your child they will do well. Find a place that your whole family will be happy not just somewhere based on a school. There are only a handful of schools in Wake county that I would question sending my child. That's out of hundreds..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary