Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 127,145 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Raleigh from New York and would like feedback on:

Quality of Life
Crime Rate
People
Job Opportunities

Hearing from New Yorkers and other out of state people who have moved to Raleigh would be a great help.

How does Raleigh differ from Charlotte?
Is Raleigh a better city for a New Yorker to live in than Charlotte?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
I'm being completely serious, why does North Carolina seem to always draw the New Yorkers in? What about North Carolina? I know this is definitely the case in Florida, but how about other states? Georgia? Virginia? I have to ask, why North Carolina?

Raleigh and Charlotte aren't too dissimilar. Both have tons of transplants but I feel like Raleigh/Durham has more, and yes we definitely have many transplants from New York/New Jersey. In this case along with a few other reasons, Charlotte is a bit more southern than Raleigh/Durham IMO.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm being completely serious, why does North Carolina seem to always draw the New Yorkers in? What about North Carolina? I know this is definitely the case in Florida, but how about other states? Georgia? Virginia? I have to ask, why North Carolina?

Raleigh and Charlotte aren't too dissimilar. Both have tons of transplants but I feel like Raleigh/Durham has more, and yes we definitely have many transplants from New York/New Jersey. In this case along with a few other reasons, Charlotte is a bit more southern than Raleigh/Durham IMO.
Jobs.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM

210 posts, read 425,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseUSA View Post
I am thinking of moving to Raleigh from New York and would like feedback on:

Quality of Life
Crime Rate
People
Job Opportunities

Hearing from New Yorkers and other out of state people who have moved to Raleigh would be a great help.

How does Raleigh differ from Charlotte?
Is Raleigh a better city for a New Yorker to live in than Charlotte?

Thanks
About a year and a half ago, I was in the same boat as you are. As far as Quality of life, Crime, Rate, People, Job Opportunities goes... I don't think you can get a straightforward answer because it really depends on several factors. Jobs? What type of Jobs? Are you looking into IT jobs? If yes, then definitely Raleigh is the better option. Otherwise, it's a toss up between the two as far as jobs is concerned.The other factors you mention really depends on where you live (community, income, demography, etc..)

I will say this though, Charlotte's real estate is much cheaper than Raleigh's. So, if you intend on buying a house and want more house for your money, and you are not in IT, Charlotte might be better for you. If not, come to Raleigh!

As an IT person, I desperately looked for jobs in Charlotte and surrounding areas with no luck. I turned my attention to Raleigh and got lots of responses. If I did find a job in Charlotte, I would have moved to Charlotte. However, having moved to Raleigh, I can't imagine me living in Charlotte.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Why do you keep posting this over and over?

Moving to Raleigh - How is Quality of Life
Moving to Charlotte From New York...How is Life in Charlotte
Raleigh or Charlotte....Moving from New York...Where do more New Yorkers relate and move to ?
Charlotte VS Raleigh: How do they differ?

What information are you looking for that you haven't already gotten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary