Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:05 PM

142 posts, read 175,835 times

Advertisements

7.75% sales tax in Orange County (quarter cent transit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empearls View Post
I've seen that tax rate sheet but I have no idea what it means... Am I supposed to add all 32 columns?
No. There are up to five possible codes printed on a bill. The total is the addition of the rates for those row.

You will know how much you would pay when you see a current owner's bill. People are giving you good advice to use an approximation.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
I've seen that tax rate sheet but I have no idea what it means... Am I supposed to add all 32 columns?
Look up a house you are interested in on the orange county GIS, and you'll find the tax rate code. Then go look at the tax table for the tax. The number on the left is the total rate (with all the indivdual rates added up) and the other rates to the right are the individual rates. Soe the most expensive rate code is #21 1.6758% for carrboro city

Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
I've been eyeing the real estate market of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area like a hawk over the past year and I think have been able to grasp a pretty good understanding of what to expect for taxes based on the specific area a property is located.

The highest you'll find is within the town limits of Carrboro (which is anything listed with a Carrboro address, as well as the Lake Hogan Farms area which has a Chapel Hill address but is in Carrboro town limits) usually about 1.67% total property taxes.

This is followed closely by Chapel Hill town limits within the CHCCS district (basically all of Chapel Hill proper with the exception of the small eastern section that lies in Durham County) which has a rate usually about 1.57%.

If you get into the semi-rural buffer just outside CH and Carrboro city limits, but still within the CHCCS district (a Chapel Hill address that will most likely be in the 27516 zip code) your taxes will be more in the 1.2-1.3% range.

If you go outside the CHCCS district into Orange County schools; you'll have taxes just under 1% generally; unless you are in Hillsborough city limits where they will be higher.

If you go into Chatham County, the taxes drop significantly to about .75%.

Durham County is a little different but the parts of Chapel Hill that are in Durham County tend to have taxes in the 1.3% range from what I've seen.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM

69 posts, read 185,827 times
I was mostly interested in knowing what the highest taxes are because knowing my luck, I'd fall in love with a house just on the other side of a lower tax rate! And I figure if I go in thinking it's high (I'll just round up to 1.7%) and if it ends up being lower, then I can have a party with the leftover savings

At this point my partner hasn't even applied for any jobs in the RT area but I'm trying to collect as much data as I can for possible locations around the country for his next round of job hunting. Not easy! So far North Carolina is winning.

As far as the sales/grocery tax, if I go into one store and buy Q-Tips and apples, are the Q-tips taxed at 7.75% and the apples at 2%?

And another grocery question: can you buy hard alcohol at the grocery store and what are booze, wine and beer taxed at (at the store)?

Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
As far as the sales/grocery tax, if I go into one store and buy Q-Tips and apples, are the Q-tips taxed at 7.75% and the apples at 2%?
Something like that. Prepared food is different, too. The cashier just rings it up and the system figures it out for ya.

Quote:
And another grocery question: can you buy hard alcohol at the grocery store and what are booze, wine and beer taxed at (at the store)?
No. Beer and wine only at the grocery store (and other stores). Liquor is only available at state run ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores. They are fairly common, though.

I have no idea what they're taxed at. I really don't pay that much attention to sales taxes.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No liquor is sold in grocery stores. We have separate, state-owned "ABC" stores that sell that. Beer and wine is sold in grocery stores. There is an "excise" tax on alcohol that is built in to the price. I can't remember if a sales tax is also charged on top of that. I *think* it is.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
it is now. wasn't until maybe 3 years ago. We have pretty high comparable alcohol taxes, and gas taxes.

and just in case someone near-term is moving here ....

no bottles of booze sold on Sunday at all, nor another 7-10 holidays/year.

no beer/wine before noon on Sunday, in a store or at a restaurant

Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 AM

90 posts, read 118,966 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out the general taxes for the Chapel Hill area and I am terribly confused by all the separate taxes levied on homeowners...

If I buy a $400,000 house in Chapel Hill...

I pay 1.3% in property taxes (assessed yearly, based on home's value)?

But then I ALSO pay separate fire and school taxes?

I would really appreciate a guesstimate of the yearly taxes I would pay on a $400K home... (with the understanding that the tax rates change on a yearly basis). I've seen the rate sheets and find them completely overwhelming! Something like 30 fire taxes???

I'm trying to figure out what are the highest tax rates in the RT area and I'm pretty sure Chapel Hill is it!

Other tax rates (please correct me if I'm wrong):
7.75% sales tax
2% grocery tax
5.75% flat state income tax

Do the counties add an additional income tax?
NC has some pretty stiff property taxes on your car too.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoir View Post
NC has some pretty stiff property taxes on your car too.
"Pretty stiff"? Most places are about $200 a year on a $20,000 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary