Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,172 times

Advertisements

Or, a closer collision shop.

Saw another rear-ender there today; really new-looking minivan all wrinkled up in the back.

Town of Cary Police Department P2C - provided by OSSI

Accident reports are quite frequent for that intersection, and you really need to be in good physical shape to twist the neck to the far left to safely merge, even if you are not texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
... Accident reports are quite frequent for that intersection ...
That intersection will be rebuilt with more lanes so traffic from Raleigh to Apex will be free-flowing. No light, no stopping. I don't have a date for this but it is, as you point out, needed now.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,755 times
Couldn't agree more. I don't use it frequently but when I do it's amazing what risks some drivers take there. And if you just wait until feeling safe then drivers behind become extremely agitated. I'm terribly sorry but it's red light and I won't risk my life just to save a minute.

The redesign couldn't come soon enough. The lines there clog the freeway as well and make it difficult to merge from Cary Pkwy ramp.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:00 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Then you have the people who consider it a "yield" and not a red light so they just come sailing out, inevitably across all three lanes on 64, with no regard to the traffic already on 64.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:44 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Was sitting at the front of the light heading west (i guess where Tryon turns to 64W?) and saw a guy blow the red light entirely on the right lane that ends. (He was also going west, went around me to blow the light).

Someone turning right on GREEN at that intersection could have gotten crushed.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM

121 posts, read 177,832 times
I got this last Monday from a Town of Cary email. Hopefully the work will take care of some of the issues. I don't go that way often, but feel like I'm taking a chance every time I do.

Improvement Project for U.S. 1/64 and Tryon Road in Cary to Start Monday

RALEIGH — Work on improvements for the interchange of U.S. 1 at U.S. 64/Tryon Road in Cary is expected to start Monday, August 31. The $854,576 project awarded to Fred Smith Company of Raleigh calls for an upgrade to the U.S. 1/64 northbound ramps off Tryon Road, as well as the intersection of Tryon Road and Regency Parkway.

The changes will include shifting the Tryon Road westbound left-turn lanes at U.S. 1/64 ramp into the intersection with Regency Parkway. Additional turn lanes at the location will be added, with two thru lanes onto the U.S. 1/64 ramp from Regency Parkway and two left-hand turn lanes from the Parkway onto U.S. 64 West/Tryon Road. .

The roadway work should be completed by November 24, but signal work will not be finished until February 29, 2016.

The work will require some lane closures, primarily during daytime hours. Because the roads involved are busy commuter routes, the contractor will not be allowed to close lanes on U.S. 64, the U.S. 1 ramp, Tryon Road or Regency Parkway between 6 and 9 a.m., and 4 and 7 p.m. on weekdays.

Drivers are urged to use caution and slow down while traveling through the work area, and to watch for construction crews and traffic signs. For real-time travel information, call 511, visit the Traveler Services section of NCDOT.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM

56 posts, read 55,687 times
Well, the work referenced in the letter has no effect on the traffic exiting US 1S onto 64W/Tryon (the subject of this thread). This is simply a widening of the traffic lanes exiting Regency. The work is desperately needed ... traffic is horribly gridlocked at 5 pm. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes just to to get out of Regency with traffic backing up all the way from Tryon to the lake at Ederlee (the lake behind Koka Booth).

I am glad to read the letter though ... I was concerned about how the road work would affect 5pm traffic. I imagine there will be some level of impact, but at least work won't be active during that time.

Last edited by Niugnep; 09-06-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,639 times
What makes that intersection even more dangerous is that 2 lanes turn right into 3 and even though it is clearly painted to show the right most turns into the middle one, people from the left one will often turn right on red into the middle one.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,172 times
Two more wrecks there on the 21st, about 10 hours apart!

Use: Town of Cary Police Department P2C - provided by OSSI

to search for reports: 15008062, 15008046

Incredible...and when Costco opens further West on 64...ugh!

64 has Hendrick Collision nearby. Place is always busy.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,962 times
I really wish the term "accident" would go away as it is incorrect terminology. It should be called a vehicle crash. An accident means an unplanned action without negligence which very few (I'd approximate at least 95%) really are since if both drivers were paying attention at least one of them could have done something to avoid the crash.

^and these crashes are only going to continue to increase since driver's eyes spend more time looking at the phone than the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
What makes that intersection even more dangerous is that 2 lanes turn right into 3 and even though it is clearly painted to show the right most turns into the middle one, people from the left one will often turn right on red into the middle one.
This does not make the intersection dangerous. It just means the drivers are incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary