Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

interestingly, the last time I was in ATL was 1996, and it was much much worse than the Triangle is today. And I was in ATL in 1985 and it was worse than the triangle today.

Maybe 32 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:49 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought to address the localized traffic problems caused by parents lining up in cars on the roads to pick their children up after school? In many places you simply cannot get by, even with parents being as polite about pulling over as they can. Also, buses coming in and out for example on 55 in Apex, leads to traffic backups just before folks are leaving from work. Maybe someone has a brilliant remedy?
That's a good question. I know some of it is caused by reassignemnts and parents have to provide transportation, but there are plenty of people that don't want their delicate progeny to ride the evil bus. Every day they back up from Morrisville Elementary onto Davis Drive and I am surprised there has never been a car plow into the line at 50 mph. They really need to have police telling people to move along and not park in the road!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
I lived in Atlanta 1972-1986 before moving to Raleigh, and I still visit Atlanta often. Anyone who thinks the Triangle's traffic today is comparable to Atlanta's today is talking nonsense. If you compare Atlanta 1972 with Triangle 2015, that's about right... a 43 year gap.

Does that mean that Triangle 2015+43=2058 will be as bad as Atlanta today? No one can say. Look, no one in Atlanta as late as the mid-1970s imagined that the metro would grow to 6 million people. I can't see that happening in the Triangle.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
>Does that mean that Triangle 2015+43=2058 will be as bad as Atlanta today? No one can say.

No, anyone with a brain can say. Given the tsunami of incoming residents, it's obvious that the road network, overstressed as it already is, will become only more so as time goes on. I'm really tired of people coming from gridlocked cities and saying we don't have traffic. No, according to you we don't. But give it ten or fifteen years and see if you still maintain that position. The traffic in the Triangle is bad and getting worse, and if we don't do as other similarly-sized cities did and embrace rail or monorails or some other method of mass transit, we're all doomed to sit in interminable traffic jams for the foreseeable future. If that's the kind of life you want, more power to you. I'd like to be able to get where I'm going in a reasonable period of time. If that makes me irascible, engrave it on my headstone.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
>Does that mean that Triangle 2015+43=2058 will be as bad as Atlanta today? No one can say.

No, anyone with a brain can say. Given the tsunami of incoming residents, it's obvious that the road network, overstressed as it already is, will become only more so as time goes on. I'm really tired of people coming from gridlocked cities and saying we don't have traffic. No, according to you we don't. But give it ten or fifteen years and see if you still maintain that position. The traffic in the Triangle is bad and getting worse, and if we don't do as other similarly-sized cities did and embrace rail or monorails or some other method of mass transit, we're all doomed to sit in interminable traffic jams for the foreseeable future. If that's the kind of life you want, more power to you. I'd like to be able to get where I'm going in a reasonable period of time. If that makes me irascible, engrave it on my headstone.
You are so right. Things were so much better when we moved here in 1989.

Oregon discourages transplants and we need to realize that creating unbudgeted needs is not smart.

Let's stop luring businesses to this area but to counties with a real need for good jobs.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
we're not spending any significant amounts of money to relocate companies to the Triangle.

traffic today is actually BETTER than it was 10-15 years ago. It's definitely better than it was in 1988. I drive 40 Eastbound during commute time about once a month now, and it's at least 45 miles an hour. In 1988, before the first widening, it was bumper to bumper 15-25 mph every single day.

there are certainly SIGNS of us running into issues, and we need further expansion of the beltline in several spots - namely the offramp system between Capital Blvd and the US1/40 split in Cary. When you see cars backed up onto the 55 mph freeway parked because they're at a stoplight from the offramp, that's a problem waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary