Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,008,921 times

Advertisements

Ravenstone is 27703, and you can search at the fonville morisey website by subdivision.

If you like that section of Durham, you may want to check out Magnolia Place which is just west of 70 and was a Centex community built a couple years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 AM

321 posts, read 1,573,550 times
You can also search Realtor.com for subdivision. If you like Ravenstone and it's immediate area perhaps you could consider Grove Park. Another one may be Brightwood Trails. There are lots of homes in Grove Park that meet your requirements on space and price, in fact you would likely come in under budget. I live there so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Ravenstone is about a 1/4 mile away, if that.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM

140 posts, read 620,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Well... I'm tempted I'll post a separate post looking for responses, but we stopped by Ravenstone last weekend and really liked it. Our agent kept warning us away because of "Durham schools" but someone who works at Butner prison (where my husband will be working) recommended it highly.
Get used to the stigma that comes with "Durham" we get that all the time and even our agent was hesitant to show us houses in this area. I found out afterwards that she had never really ventured into Durham and based her opinion on what she had heard/seen on TV. Yet everytime someone comes to visit we get "Oh, this is Durham?!"

As for your price range/size there are 2-3 houses for sale in the subdivision within your target. One of the larger 3000+sqf homes just had the price reduced and with new houses still going up you may beable to negiotiate them into your sweet spot.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Yeah, the one that was reduced was actually the one I was interested in... but he can't go any further because he refinanced it for more than it was worth. Silly

Old 04-21-2008, 02:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,677,740 times
Centex also has a new neighborhood called Ganyard Farm right off 98 just a little ways down from Grove Park.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Centex also has a new neighborhood called Ganyard Farm right off 98 just a little ways down from Grove Park.
I looked at that subdivision before buying in Ravenstone. Centex built some great houses, but the lots were super small and the HOA dues were VERY HIGH considering you get nothing for your money. Most of the dues cover the cost of the "pond" insuraunce.

Grove park was what brought me out to Durham to begin with. We had 3 houses we liked and when they turned into bidding wars we walked away from Grove park.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,781,826 times
What do you guys think about resale value in Grove Park / Ravenstone? Because really, we like the sizes/styles... we just know that we'll probably have to move for the school district. So our choice is something smaller in N Raleigh, or something that would really suit our tastes in the new east Durham subs.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
What do you guys think about resale value in Grove Park / Ravenstone? Because really, we like the sizes/styles... we just know that we'll probably have to move for the school district. So our choice is something smaller in N Raleigh, or something that would really suit our tastes in the new east Durham subs.
As a I mentioned earlier, When we were looking for houses grove park was a mixed bag. Some houses garnered bidding wars while others had gone into foreclosure. The newly built Library was also an attraction. My wife and I liked the "established" feel of Grove Park.

As for resale. I look at the development of Brier creek and the fact that most of the land on 70 is being bought up by retail developers as a good thing. The rise of subdivisions like ravenstone & bright leaf should also help. (Bright Leaf is also set to build a school at some point)

IMO, as the homes in this area continue to attract middle to high income families...the prices will go up and the schools will be forced to improve thus resulting in better resale values.

A freind of mine just bought in N Raleigh, he lives exactley 3 miles from me. His house is much smaller & older and he paid $20k more than I did. The area he is in is more established but Ravenstone will be there in a few years and I'm willing to wait.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,677,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
As a I mentioned earlier, When we were looking for houses grove park was a mixed bag. Some houses garnered bidding wars while others had gone into foreclosure. The newly built Library was also an attraction. My wife and I liked the "established" feel of Grove Park.

As for resale. I look at the development of Brier creek and the fact that most of the land on 70 is being bought up by retail developers as a good thing. The rise of subdivisions like ravenstone & bright leaf should also help. (Bright Leaf is also set to build a school at some point)

IMO, as the homes in this area continue to attract middle to high income families...the prices will go up and the schools will be forced to improve thus resulting in better resale values.

A freind of mine just bought in N Raleigh, he lives exactley 3 miles from me. His house is much smaller & older and he paid $20k more than I did. The area he is in is more established but Ravenstone will be there in a few years and I'm willing to wait.

The Brightleaf school is actually under construction and slated to open for next year, although initially students will be in Oak Grove(check out dpsnc.net for more info) They are also in the process of renovating Neal Middle, as well as looking for land for a new middle and high school.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

8 posts, read 24,657 times
Default Erosion Control Question

Hello everyone!

We have officially been in our house for a month, and we are noticing some major erosion occurring on both sides of our property. One side of our property faces a tree protection area, and the other is sloped up to our next door neighbor's house. KB put a protective tarp on the woods' side in order to protect the tree area from construction materials washing in from the rain. Unfortunately, the tarp (in my mind) has made the erosion worse since the major rains we had a couple of weeks ago tore through the tarp and that rainfall, along with the water that had been sitting there from prior rains, washed off a significant chunk of our lot (there's 85 feet along our property that has been affected). Now, there are very visible cracks and fissures on the hill towards the tree protection area and I am worried because some of the cracks are only a few feet from the foundation of the house.

We also get quite a bit of runoff from the other lots since our house is the lowest on the street, so we get a nice-sized river cutting across our driveway when it rains. There is some erosion occurring where the river forms, but this isn't nearly as big an issue as the erosion occurring on the side of the house facing the tree protection area.

We noticed that there are some lots in Ravenstone that have retaining walls, and it seems like those were put in by KB. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how we can fix the erosion without us needing to install an 85 ft long retaining wall ourselves?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary