Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3edo View Post
Hello everyone!

We have officially been in our house for a month, and we are noticing some major erosion occurring on both sides of our property. One side of our property faces a tree protection area, and the other is sloped up to our next door neighbor's house. KB put a protective tarp on the woods' side in order to protect the tree area from construction materials washing in from the rain. Unfortunately, the tarp (in my mind) has made the erosion worse since the major rains we had a couple of weeks ago tore through the tarp and that rainfall, along with the water that had been sitting there from prior rains, washed off a significant chunk of our lot (there's 85 feet along our property that has been affected). Now, there are very visible cracks and fissures on the hill towards the tree protection area and I am worried because some of the cracks are only a few feet from the foundation of the house.

We also get quite a bit of runoff from the other lots since our house is the lowest on the street, so we get a nice-sized river cutting across our driveway when it rains. There is some erosion occurring where the river forms, but this isn't nearly as big an issue as the erosion occurring on the side of the house facing the tree protection area.

We noticed that there are some lots in Ravenstone that have retaining walls, and it seems like those were put in by KB. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how we can fix the erosion without us needing to install an 85 ft long retaining wall ourselves?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry you are having problems! You may want to post this issue in the "House" forum on City-data as there are more experts there than here when it comes to these types of issues (they are more building/construction specific than location-specific)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 24,921 times
Thanks for the suggestion! I re-posted the question in the House forum, but I still felt that this question relates to the Ravenstone community, as I am wondering if anyone in Ravenstone has had KB install a retaining wall on their property for erosion control. I also wanted to see if anyone in Ravenstone has had erosion control issues and if they have, what they did to prevent more erosion from taking place. I probably could have worded my question so that it was clearer, but I felt like I was already writing too much!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM

140 posts, read 621,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3edo View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I re-posted the question in the House forum, but I still felt that this question relates to the Ravenstone community, as I am wondering if anyone in Ravenstone has had KB install a retaining wall on their property for erosion control. I also wanted to see if anyone in Ravenstone has had erosion control issues and if they have, what they did to prevent more erosion from taking place. I probably could have worded my question so that it was clearer, but I felt like I was already writing too much!

Hey there Sp3edo, welcome to the neighborhood. My next door neighbor had been dealing with KB for the last year to get a retaining wall put up. Thier issue was similar but no where near as concerning. Most of thier errosion was at the back of the lot and not near the foundation. In the end Kb agreed to split costs since the problem could have been fixed with some planting where a root system could hold together the slope.

There was another house on the corner of Weathervane and Hillview that had issues identicle to yours with the errosion impacting the foundation, KB did put up and pay for the full retaining wall. You may want to knock on thier door and get some more details.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM

241 posts, read 934,553 times
We just drove through Ravenstone and really liked it. I like that it's a new subdivision, the houses have some character and a bit of color and the lots aren't itty bitty. There were lots of people with strollers, riding bikes and walking their dogs... I like that it's active In particular, there is a very large house for sale on Hillview street... 3539 square feet for $265K.

Anyone know why this seems to be priced sort of low? Someone else mentioned a larger home with a larger price tag, I was just wondering why this one hasn't been snatched up, it seems like a good deal. Anyone have any news on this home?

The agent mentions a large loft area but I don't see the square footage on that? Is it really another 700-100 square feet?

Erosion, slab, water... those of you living there, any current problems?

Any news on new shopping being built in the area?

For those of you who drive into RTP, how is your commute?

Phew, that was a lot of questions...Thanks so much for any input!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
Anyone know why this seems to be priced sort of low?
Heard any good news about the housing market lately?

Quote:
Not on my lot. Sort of a funny story though; when we were lot-shopping here, we had just about decided when a major storm came through. It was raining so hard you couldn't see 2 feet ahead with the wipers going full blast. So we just waited it out. I knew it couldn't rain like that for long, and it didn't. Once it let up we drove back through to see where the water was going. Not always practical, but it worked for us. There were 2 lots we considered. After seeing where the water was going, the decision became easy.
Quote:
Eh? There's a CVS being built. Briar Creek is only 10 minutes away, I don't want anything big much closer to be honest.
Quote:
I take the back way, Olive Branch/Doc Nichols/70/Page Rd and it takes 15 minutes. I could maybe shave a few if I took Miami direct, but I like the drive better.
Quote:
My pleasure. It's a good neighborhood, and I see a decent chance of it doing well as the new schools come on line and it becomes a little more established.

I walk every night through most of it, folks are always friendly.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM

35 posts, read 144,078 times
Just thought I'd put in a plug for Brightwood Trails which is a mile down Sherron from Ravenstone. I've lived there for a year and we really like it. Be happy to provide more information if you are interested.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godukebasketball View Post
Just thought I'd put in a plug for Brightwood Trails which is a mile down Sherron from Ravenstone. I've lived there for a year and we really like it. Be happy to provide more information if you are interested.
Will add to this that Brightwood Trails is built by BroadStreet homes, which is the affordably-priced division/brand of St. Lawrence Homes

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
We just drove through Ravenstone and really liked it. I like that it's a new subdivision, the houses have some character and a bit of color and the lots aren't itty bitty. There were lots of people with strollers, riding bikes and walking their dogs... I like that it's active In particular, there is a very large house for sale on Hillview street... 3539 square feet for $265K.

Anyone know why this seems to be priced sort of low? Someone else mentioned a larger home with a larger price tag, I was just wondering why this one hasn't been snatched up, it seems like a good deal. Anyone have any news on this home?

The agent mentions a large loft area but I don't see the square footage on that? Is it really another 700-100 square feet?

I can tell you why that house is $265k, send me a PM. Oh, and new shopping in the area.... a liquor store apparently!!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
Default Ravenstone

Hey all, thought I would add my two cents. I recently had to move out of the Ravenstone community due to corporate relocations and I will really miss it. Ravenstone is a gorgeous community full of great neighbors and I loved walking to the pumpkin farm down Sherron, or the blueberry farm (Snikrok I think) just at the end of Hillview. The builders really did a great job planning this community - I love the trees and privacy, the streams and ponds, pool and playground, and the general flow of the neighborhood. Walking to the grocery store and blockbuster for a relaxing evening at home will also be missed. During our time in Ravenstone my husband worked at Duke (15-20 min away), I worked in North Raleigh (15 min away), and I also worked in south RTP/North Cary (15 min away), so the location was truly central. Last but not least, hiking around Falls Lake is beautiful. We biked there a few times a month from home. They have campgrounds where you can bring your family and go fishing, boating, hiking, etc. Hope I can find a neighborhood like that one again!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
I'm hoping someone who reads this has tried to build a fence in Ravenstone! I'm putting together my paperwork but I'm lost re: two things (and the Regulations haven't helped me much).

(1) Can I go all the way to the lot lines on the side/back?
(2) Does the utility easement mean that I can't enclose the utility boxes? I'd really like to hide them and have a door on the fence that's left unlocked for the utility companies, but the regulations aren't clear.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary