Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I really don't understand why anyone would hire a lawyer when they readily admit they were speeding. Maybe there's an opportunity here to adjust one's driving. TOO many speeders on the road!
Because thankfully the constitution applies to people you like and to those you don't.

I'd also counter that there are many speed limits set for political, rather than engineering reasons.

To the OP, be glad he only wrote it for 80. Anything over that is considered careless and reckless in VA and they can and do put people in jail for a few days for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
A lawyer will cost you $250, he will get it dismissed if you attend a one day school. Been there done that.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:54 PM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njking View Post
I am going with the traffic and looks like all cars are have same speed. I was the fish in the net. My speed should be between 5-8 miles over than posted limit. I doubt how it recorded as 10 miles more than my limit. I tried to explain the same to the cop, but I don't want to argue with him to get into any trouble

Are you sure traffic cops are right always?
NJ plates you will get a ticket because they know you will not fight the ticket. Don't get caught again after you dispose of this ticket. Set your cruise at 5 over the limit and you should be OK.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM

63 posts, read 98,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I got the same ticket for 80 in a 70 in Brunswick County back in February. I used Clary it cost me $250 total for the lawyer and court costs and fines.
Did they remove the whole penalty/demerit points from your citation?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
A lawyer will cost you $250, he will get it dismissed if you attend a one day school. Been there done that.
Is AAA safe driving course? Is online or in-house?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
NJ plates you will get a ticket because they know you will not fight the ticket. Don't get caught again after you dispose of this ticket. Set your cruise at 5 over the limit and you should be OK.
Sure. I will be cautious next time. Now I have NC plate.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Did they remove the whole penalty/demerit points from your citation?

I got no NJ points and no insurance points the ticket was reduced to driving with a broken tail light. Not a moving violation. Whatever you do do not listen to anyone who tells you not to get a lawyer and just pay the fine. It cost me a total of $250 for the lawyer court costs and the cost of the fine for the reduced ticket. It is a cottage industry in Virginia play the game get a local lawyer and pony up the money. These lawyers in Virginia make it know on their websites that they do this. I used Clary in Brunswick County.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Is AAA safe driving course? Is online or in-house?

You don't have to do this do not waste your time. I make the trip from NJ to NC monthly have for the past 2 years. You were unlucky slow down a bit.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:13 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Back in February, my wife got a speeding ticket from a Sheriff's Deputy on I-85 in Brunswick County, VA. She was passing a truck that was loaded with logs, and was clocked at 84mph in a 70 mph zone. When she called the county clerk about paying the fine without appearing, she was told if she just pled guilty by mail her license would be assessed for six points and it would count as a misdemeanor conviction for reckless driving. After making several calls and doing some internet searching, we decided to hire an attorney. He appeared in court for her and got the ticket reduced to a "Disobeying a Highway Sign". We had to pay the court costs, attorney fees and a fine. It came out to about $500.00 total. No points were assessed on her license. She was still licensed in NY at the time and they have reporting reciprocity with NC, so those points would have jacked up our insurance cost significantly. And technically she would have had that misdemeanor conviction on her record. And just to add this tid bit; a few days after she called the courthouse in Brunswick, V.A., we recieved about a dozen mailings from attorneys specializing in traffic court cases. Weird right, lol?

I have driven that stretch of I-85 from the I-95 split to US 1 many times the last few months. I always see speed traps in Brunswick County. The SD must have jurisdiction on that part because I see them pulling cars over constantly. Talk about "cash cow".

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Because thankfully the constitution applies to people you like and to those you don't.

I'd also counter that there are many speed limits set for political, rather than engineering reasons.

To the OP, be glad he only wrote it for 80. Anything over that is considered careless and reckless in VA and they can and do put people in jail for a few days for that.
Agreed on both counts. OP got VERY lucky. Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor in VA. It's definitely political because a couple of years ago they tried to raise the reckless driving limit but the VA state police raised hell about it and one of the reasons opponents used against it other than the usual "safety" argument was "fiscal impact". So that was that and it stayed the same.

Bill to amend Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary