Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM

144 posts, read 496,723 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
Another question. My wife is a big believer in Catholic schools. Private schools in boston area are very expensive and the public schools in the city where I live is so so. So we were sending our kids to catholic schools here and they are doing great. Now after some initial research I see that Wake country public schools are rated higher most of the catholic schools in the area (and better than even some private schools). Am I reading this right?. Is that really true. Well I heard how good the Wake county schools are. But are they really that good. My son is in charter school program, not sure if raleigh area has them or not.

Any pointers guys?. Again thanks for the help in advance.

With Regards
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Hi, we do have charter schools in Wake County. What are you using to draw your conclusion that public schools are better than catholic schools? I really don't know for a fact, that pubilc schools are necessarily better or vice versa. I have a feeling it's probably on a case by case (or school by school) basis. What grade is your son in?
Wake schools are very good IMO, but as with every school district, some are better than others, so it's difficult to really make a comparison between all catholic schools and all public schools in the area.
One thing that many people LIKE about catholic schools over public in Wake county particularly is 1.) the stability, because Wake County frequently redistricts students and 2.) smaller classes, because MANY Wake schools are over crowded

You can also get this is charter schools as well. My dd is in a charter middle school and we LOVE it, but it's hard to get into the really good ones because so many people want alternatives.
Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi Iamishra,
Well, I could be completely wrong. But based on my initial research it felt like it. I measure school standards mostly by math and science.

1. The Mathematics Association America conducts advanced level math competition for kids statewide and nationwide. The kids (and schools) that make it to that are considered premium levels. I know some of my friends attending those programs and it is at a much advanced level. So if some school's students go there on a regular basis then that I would assume it is thought in the school.
2007 AMC 8 School Honor Roll (http://www.unl.edu/amc/e-exams/e4-am...onorRoll.shtml - broken link)
In the Honor school list of that from MA they are all either private schools/ academies/ or charter schools. In NC I see the following,
Guy Phillips Middle School Chapel Hill NC US Hanes Middle School Winston-Salem NC US Ligon G/T Magnet Middle School Raleigh NC US Martin Middle School Raleigh NC US Smith Middle School Chapel Hill NC US West Cary Middle School Cary NC US
They are look like normal public schools to me. If those schools make this highest honor then I will look at them real hard given the choices.

2. The other thing I looked at is this. As well public school report on overall state/district statistics. Let me clarify on the statement I made. I agree it is on a case by case basis. But in general the public schools in Wake country seem to be rated equal to (and in some cases higher than some of the catholic schools) public schools. Where I come from it is not even close. So I am little biased as to when they are equal go with a cheaper (or free) choice . The following site gathers the rating information and list them out compiled together.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Again, I could be totally wrong and missing a big picture. Being not local, I couldnt tell that for sure. That is why I am asking folks for advise/ ideas/ suggestion.

Thanks
With Regards
Andy

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM

64 posts, read 376,249 times
Here is a list of all the Catholic schools.
The Catholic Diocese of Raleigh

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM

80 posts, read 231,964 times
Here is a little information from the Raleigh Diocese website

Two Diocese of Raleigh Schools Named Blue Ribbon Schools for 2007

larger font

The U.S. Department of Education Secretary Margaret Spellings announced today that Sacred Heart Cathedral Catholic School and Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School, both in Raleigh, have been chosen as National No Child Left Behind – Blue Ribbon Schools for 2007. The two schools are among eight North Carolina public and private schools recognized by the U.S. Department of Education this year. A total of 287 schools received the honor nationwide.
Cathedral School

Under the educational leadership of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School was founded in 1954 on land given to the Diocese of Raleigh by the Fallon family.
Web site: www.olls.org

Last edited by autumngal; 01-29-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: 1 snippet and link per copyright please, ty :)

Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the details guys. Appreciate it.
Say do anyone know good catholic schools in Morrisville, Apex or part of Cary that is closer to to Morrisville. I can see them in that list above but not sure how good they are. Do you guys know where I can find ratings of schools on comparable basis. Also is there a site where I can see comparison between the wake school system and/or the local private schools.

Thanks
Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary