U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 25,460 times
Default Thanks

lol. Look..............if you guys want to make this a pick up session for anyone single, then by all means...................I will help out in any way I can. : )

For those that are single or have good single friends............then I am definately up for just meeting new people if nothing else. One can never know too many people. Who is to say what could happen with that!

As far as places to meet them other than the bars.............I would agree with most of them. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I am there far too much...........and that can be hit or miss. I definately dont go there to meet women........but it can be so hit or miss there. With that being said, I just mean that not many women want to be "approached" at the gym. I have met some really good friends there though.
That party aspect is also a good option, but just like what was stated earlier, it is hard to find friends that are having parties.
I digress though...............You guys are all giving really good ideas and I do appreciate all of the help. I think at the time, I posted this forum as a means to vent. I appreciate you letting me do that.

Now as for singles meeting singles.............where do I send my pic and contact info?
Just playing....(kinda) lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 AM

934 posts, read 60,827 times
concerns like this make me even more grateful I started dating hubby in highschool and kept him chained to me ever since! lol

Good luck to all the singles- I wouldnt even know where to begin looking! Maybe some volunteer groups- get active in them and find a nice girl?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM

2,245 posts, read 5,708,133 times
My husband and I spent many years single in some of the other "top" rated cities, especially Minneapolis-St. Paul, and their rankings also make us say "huh?". I think the fact is that it's a jungle out there, and the "best" ratings still don't mean that meeting quality people is easy. My husband and I met through a volunteer organization called Single Volunteers. Sadly, there is not a chapter in the Triangle, but if someone wants to organize their web site is Single Volunteers, Inc. .

We've also noticed a lot of singles at a few events we've been to lately. There seem to be a lot of single women at Art Museum events. I just got an e-mail about their Friday night "Art in the Evening" which definitely seems geared to the singles crowd: North Carolina Museum of Art Art in the Evening (http://ncartmuseum.org/events/artintheevening.shtml - broken link)
And of course, now that I know my husband I realize I'd have met him (and many men) faster if I'd joined a mountain biking or a rock climbing group!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM

353 posts, read 932,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I've been here for a year and it's hit or miss in my opinion. In my experience, what makes a city truly great for singles is when you can meet a decent number of singles without going to a bar or club or lounge. And that's where Raleigh/Durham fails. I can go to any city and go into a club or lounge and meet women there. That's not any indication to how great that city is for a single person. Raleigh Durham excels in the established relationship area where if you come here attached it's makes things much easier.

The best advice seems to be what a previous poster mentioned. Network with folks you know that know other singles and try to hook it up that way.

Here's some advice from a woman (now married) but going back to my single days which were not so long ago. I live in NY (30 minutes from Manhattan and near what they seem to call a pretty cool city called White Plains). Meeting someone is tough all around. Manhattan has tons of single people but it is HARDER to find someone because everyone has so many options that they don't want to commit. Once you go a little north to White Plains area - the quality of singles is slim pickins (IMO). And I could meet guys anywhere I wanted to. I suggest finding hobbies you like and trying to meet someone there (I loved to hike and joined a hiking club at the time). Also, don't knock online dating - Match and the sort. I was tired of going to bars to meet people so I purposely did not try to meet anyone in a bar. I know a lot of people who met online and married and most were from Match. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

376 posts, read 598,322 times
I'm 31, and I felt the same way about meeting single men in Raleigh when I first moved here. But eventually I gave up on finding single men and decided to just try to find myself some nice, single, educated girlfriends to hang out with. Even that took some effort and commitment to task on my part, but once I did that, meeting men got a lot easier. Now I meet men when I'm out with my girlfriends and we're just minding our own business, I meet them at parties my girlfriends have, and meet friends of theirs that we bump into when we're out at bars or restaurants. I think the key to meeting singles is to get out, and the key to getting out is having friends to go out with. Anyway, I have a boyfriend now, so meeting single men isn't as exciting as it used to be.
If you want to make friends, I suggest meetup.com.
If you're just looking to meet people in a bar, I suggest the Hibernian on Glenwood, after 11 on a Friday or Saturday. It turns into what basically amounts to a big frat party for 30 year olds. Sounds shallow, for sure, but I swear its fun if you go with friends.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM

934 posts, read 60,827 times
I met my hubby when I was 15- and just turned 30 in January- so I'm no expert on this...

I've never understood it either. I guess maybe with Glenwood South and downtown revitalizing? I don't know. we have friends who are single and havent met the 'right one'' yet.... ?

I would say your best bet is to meet people doing activities you enjoy- sports, fishing (wait, no water- skip that one), playing pool....okay- having problems thinking of things non water related! but you get my point- church groups maybe..voluteering for a group you support....etc....?

i know, not much use

Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM

108 posts, read 333,920 times
I'm happily married and although I know lots of people who have met their mates "clubbing" most people don't. Get involved with a charitable organix=zation. Volunteer your time and you're much more likely to meet quality people.
Good luck. Someone is out there for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary