Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:05 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times

Advertisements

No one has mentioned this place yet I think. No personal experience but have heard a lot about it over the years.

Tom Robinson's Seafood | From the NC Coast to this Local Institution – Fresh Fish Daily

And to whoever mentioned Cliffs, do they really have seafood? I've been in there a bunch of times for meat and don't recall seeing any fish there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
We had a CSF (community supported fishery) share through Core Sound Seafood for awhile. It was a bit more fish than I could eat, but they brought it up fresh from the coast every Thursday. After the first year or two they also started supplying Weaver Street Market in Carrboro on Thursdays so I would just go there and pick up something when I was in the mood. I haven't seen the big display there recently, but I think they run their shares in the Spring and Fall so it may be starting up soon. https://www.facebook.com/CoreSoundSeafood?fref=ts

I think Cliff's is just meat and Tom Robinson's is fish. Tom died a couple of years ago, but I believe his wife/partner still runs it, or maybe she sold it. Not sure.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
Walking Fish is another seafood CSF

Walking Fish - A Community Supported Fishery

Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
Craving fresh fish - can anyone suggest some good seafood markets where I can go buy some today? I know the Sea Depot near downtown Cary and the Grand Asia Market near Crossroads - but wanted to see if there are others I can check out.

Thanks,

D
get it before it's gone! Ocean Fish Numbers Cut in Half Since 1970 - Scientific American

Old 09-17-2015, 12:36 AM

436 posts, read 670,879 times
The owners are related but the businesses are separate. Salt Water is a really nice market.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 AM

Core Sound stopped running the CSF this year. It just got too much for the owners on top of everything else they are involved in.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
The owners are related but the businesses are separate. Salt Water is a really nice market.
Thank you... I hate that the OP went there and didn't like it. I've never had any fish from there that wasn't fresh. I'm pretty good about judging,eyes shouldn't be cloudy and of course smell. I haven't ever tried the rockfish but their red snappers and flounders and bass are very good. My only complaint is that the prices are a little higher then a grocery seafood department. Mainly because the fish is weighed before doing a fillete. Because of that I have found that it's more economical to get some fish like perch at Kroger instead. And since we're on the subject. I have become a big fan of the frozen NC caught wild shrimp that Lowe's has. It is the best frozen shrimp that I have ever had for frying or adding to pastas etc... it's the perfect size and is very clean looking and tasting. I can pick it out easily because if the blue tint it has compared to the others. It runs 13.99 a bag(think it may only be a pound) $$ but darn it's good.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
Core Sound stopped running the CSF this year. It just got too much for the owners on top of everything else they are involved in.

Oh, good to know. I think I have seen their stuff at Weaver Street, but it may be some other local NC fishery. It was definitely local NC shrimp and not cheap shrimp from Thailand or wherever.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM

I was raised on the coast and grew up with very fresh fish. I've never seen anything that looked old at Saltwater. My purchases have been consistently excellent. I've been so happy to have a fish market that is north of downtown.

I used to go to Earps. I was happy with the quality but the employees were less than welcoming and unhelpful.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:47 PM

I really miss them. I experienced the freshest mackerel I've ever had through their CSF. Amazing stuff that has probably spoiled me forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary