Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 8,268 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the RTP area in the next couple of months. We are in our early 50s and we like to stay busy, love outdoor activities, swim, bike and like to stay involved with our community. We really messed up on the location we live in now by not doing our homework and have ended up in a snobby, pretentious Florida subdivision full of old people! We do not want to make the same mistake. We do not want an area full of new families with kids either. Nothing against, we just wouldn't fit in. We looked a little in the north Raleigh area. What are the thoughts of people that live there? Is this a desirable neighborhood? Safe?
We are steering clear of Cary (heard too many negatives) and Apex (too small town? And liberal?)
We are looking for established neighborhoods, good re-sell value. Don't have any kids in elementary school. I would like house to be close to shopping, schools etc. husband works in RTP. I have a realtor but it is like pulling teeth trying to get info out of her. Ugh!
Any words of advise would be greatly appreciated.
If any of you need any advice on where to take your Florida vacation, I'm the person to ask.
Thank you in advance,
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,121,624 times
well, you have to understand that ...

a. you didn't describe the length of commute for him that would make you happy.
b. what your price range is
c. what type of house you want.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:34 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,154 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, you have to understand that ...

a. you didn't describe the length of commute for him that would make you happy.
b. what your price range is
c. what type of house you want.
d. your agent is actually smart to talk about property and not to dwell on demographics in violation of state and federal Fair Housing laws.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 AM

22,645 posts, read 36,609,195 times
North Raleigh isn't a neighborhood. It's pretty much an entire town, relatively speaking.

Ditto what the above posters said.

IMHO you're going to have problems wherever you land since you just dismissed a town of over 100,000 people as having too many negatives (what are they, so we can address them?) and another as "too small/too liberal" (what's the right size? what's the right political environment?).

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
OP,

What are you looking for, exactly?

Your post is full of contradictions.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:35 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,804,646 times
Hard to advise when you choose to position yourself as "people friendly" and then
A) Disqualify Cary for non-specific reasons
B) Suggest that Apex is "too liberal", which lets me know that you are either biased, misinformed, or both.

I live within Cary limits with a Apex mailing address. Our neighborhood is full of people with differing views on lots of things. I can't think of anyone who openly avoids anyone else based on their political leanings. That sounds like the type of behavior found in parts of Florida (at least in my experience).

Old 09-14-2015, 08:04 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,253,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahleesi View Post
My husband and I will be moving to the RTP area in the next couple of months. We are in our early 50s and we like to stay busy, love outdoor activities, swim, bike and like to stay involved with our community. We really messed up on the location we live in now by not doing our homework and have ended up in a snobby, pretentious Florida subdivision full of old people! We do not want to make the same mistake. We do not want an area full of new families with kids either. Nothing against, we just wouldn't fit in. We looked a little in the north Raleigh area. What are the thoughts of people that live there? Is this a desirable neighborhood? Safe?
We are steering clear of Cary (heard too many negatives) and Apex (too small town? And liberal?)
We are looking for established neighborhoods, good re-sell value. Don't have any kids in elementary school. I would like house to be close to shopping, schools etc. husband works in RTP. I have a realtor but it is like pulling teeth trying to get info out of her. Ugh!
Any words of advise would be greatly appreciated.
If any of you need any advice on where to take your Florida vacation, I'm the person to ask.
Thank you in advance,
Nancy

Let's see, you want:

• to stay busy
• outdoor activities — swim, bike
• stay involved with community
• established neighborhoods
• good resale value
• close to shopping, schools, but not kids
• commute to RTP

You don't want

• snobby, pretentious
• full of old people
• full of new families
• too small town
• too liberal?
• not Cary?

First off, no one here is going to understand the digs against Cary and Apex. Both seem to fit most of your wants.

Secondly, this whole area is full of new families. That's its thing — "family friendly". It's sort of the opposite of Florida that way — older retired folks all over Florida, young families all over the Triangle. Looking in older established neighborhoods is a good idea if you don't want to be completely surrounded by families, but there will most likely be old people there, too, and young families filling in as the old people exit — a mixed demographic.

Thirdly, you need to know that Wake County as a whole swings slightly to the left. Everywhere is going to be slightly liberal, but there's a mix of conservative and liberal folks in most neighborhoods in Wake County. Apex is certainly not known as a liberal hotspot (think Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Durham for that).

I'd give Cary a hard look if you like to ride your bike. Great greenway system. Great resale value.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,760,366 times
price range ?

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,019,774 times
On the info given I'd say pick somewhere in Raleigh ITB(inside the beltline). Lots of older homes and not completely family central. Most of the new subdivisions are built exclusively for young families. They are full of them and everywhere as you go further from downtown. Your price range would help a lot. I just posted last week about a new development near downtown called Caraleigh Commons. That kind of neighborhood is geared more to DINKS then most of the suburban ones. I can't think of any Raleigh neighborhoods that are overly political either way. Almost anywhere is safe,especially compared to Florida.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:10 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,592,791 times
I live in evil Cary, but I'd suggest an older subdivision. My house was built in 1987 and there's a mix of different ages around me. Some bought their house new in '87 and are now empty-nesters. Some young families here and there, but we have retirement age folks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary