U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
 
Location: morrisville
336 posts, read 1,389,774 times
Reputation: 207

Advertisements

anyone have children at either of these schools? my son is starting kindergarten in the fall, and these are two schools i am considering. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,135 posts, read 6,965,877 times
Reputation: 1590
I'm interested in Sterling also. I looked at their website. There was no info on the preschool tuition and the cutoff for kindergarten. Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 7,791,522 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I'm interested in Sterling also. I looked at their website. There was no info on the preschool tuition and the cutoff for kindergarten. Does anyone know?
Here's the tuition schedule for the academy:
http://www.sterlingmontessori.org/admission/tuition%20schedule%202007-2008.doc (broken link)

I would have assumed the cutoff for kindergarten would be the same as the public schools (middle of October), but the website says the charter school (kindergarten - eighth grade) is for children 6-14. My daughter will start kindergarten when she's 4 and turn 5 in September, so this doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
8,272 posts, read 22,432,516 times
Reputation: 5564
Sterling montessori groups the kids by age and not by "grade", and follows a traditional montessori age grouping scheme. Sterling's early years program starts at age 5/6. Before that, they are in the "academy" which costs money. After they move up into the early years classes, it's free.
At Poe, which is a regular public school, they use the standard KG cutoff date which is used throughout the county.
Also, I don't know how old your children are now, but Wake County schools are rolling back their KG cutoff date to August 31st for the 2009-2010 school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 7,791,522 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Sterling montessori groups the kids by age and not by "grade", and follows a traditional montessori age grouping scheme. Sterling's early years program starts at age 5/6. Before that, they are in the "academy" which costs money. After they move up into the early years classes, it's free.
At Poe, which is a regular public school, they use the standard KG cutoff date which is used throughout the county.
Also, I don't know how old your children are now, but Wake County schools are rolling back their KG cutoff date to August 31st for the 2009-2010 school year.
My daughter will go to kindergarten this year so we just made the cutoff. I still don't fully understand what the birthday cutoff is to apply to the charter school for the early years program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,135 posts, read 6,965,877 times
Reputation: 1590
It looks like Heartwood is more affordable for preschool with options for different days and amount of hours: Heartwood Montessori School (http://www.heartwoodmontessori.com/admission.php4 - broken link)

I hope the Charter and private schools don't follow suit with WCPSS as far as the 8/31 cutoff. I'm trying to find a preschool and kindergarten that doesn't have that cutoff for my 9/19 daughter! And I think Montessori would be a good fit for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 7,791,522 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
It looks like Heartwood is more affordable for preschool with options for different days and amount of hours: Heartwood Montessori School (http://www.heartwoodmontessori.com/admission.php4 - broken link)

I hope the Charter and private schools don't follow suit with WCPSS as far as the 8/31 cutoff. I'm trying to find a preschool and kindergarten that doesn't have that cutoff for my 9/19 daughter! And I think Montessori would be a good fit for her.
I hear you about the cutoff. We were so glad to get out of FL where the cutoff is 8/31. I just had my parent teacher conference for my daughter today and I cannot imagine having to wait another year. The cutoff is made by the state and not the county though, so I would think it would apply to the charter schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,135 posts, read 6,965,877 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I hear you about the cutoff. We were so glad to get out of FL where the cutoff is 8/31. I just had my parent teacher conference for my daughter today and I cannot imagine having to wait another year. The cutoff is made by the state and not the county though, so I would think it would apply to the charter schools.
I can pay $700 to test my daughter into WCPSS or send her to a charter or private that doesn't have a cutoff. Well, I guess someone has to miss the cutoff by a few days


OP: Sorry to be off topic with the cutoff issue. Hope you get the answers you are looking for regarding these two schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 7,791,522 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I can pay $700 to test my daughter into WCPSS or send her to a charter or private that doesn't have a cutoff. Well, I guess someone has to miss the cutoff by a few days


OP: Sorry to be off topic with the cutoff issue. Hope you get the answers you are looking for regarding these two schools!
I was just saying the state moved the cutoff, not the county, for everyone so I believe the cutoff also applies to charter schools (since they too are NC public schools). Sorry I made that so confusing.

As far as Sterling v. Poe, I wouldn't get my heart set on either but apply to both. I'm not sure what the acceptance rate is at Sterling, but I think it's pretty tough to get into Poe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,135 posts, read 6,965,877 times
Reputation: 1590
I knew that the regular and magnet schools had the cutoff. But I wasn't sure about the charter schools. I suppose I could call the school and ask them. But I'm not that far into yet. My daughter turned two 9/07. So, I still have some time to figure it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top