Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:46 PM

107 posts, read 125,637 times

Advertisements

My family is also relocating to Clayton next year and I have to say I'm scared to death but excited at the same time. I have lived here in Ct all my life but the winter's are harsh and so aren't the prices and taxes. I want more bang for my buck and still have some money left over. I look forward to no snow and lower bill's but I will miss my family and friend's. see ya all next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 PM

43 posts, read 53,757 times
I moved here from DC area and have only been here a few months so bear with me:

Things I like:

1. The feeling of safety. It's the first place I've ever lived where I don't feel like the person walking past me on the sidewalk might kill me.
2. Cheaper rent
3. Fewer thunderstorms (so far. maybe it's a fluke).
4. Lots of free outdoor music and easy to get to and PARKING IS NEVER A PROBLEM :-)

Things I miss:

1. Sense of history and the museums
2. Old, charming houses and streets. Chapel Hill has some of that, but it's confined to a smaller area the rest is not attractive or it's McMansiony
3. It's harder to find things I want in the supermarket or, if I do find them, they are priced like luxury items.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:21 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,415,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Trulove View Post
My family is also relocating to Clayton next year and I have to say I'm scared to death but excited at the same time. I have lived here in Ct all my life but the winter's are harsh and so aren't the prices and taxes. I want more bang for my buck and still have some money left over. I look forward to no snow and lower bill's but I will miss my family and friend's. see ya all next year.
Karyn, I mean this ever so sincerely. Moving here primarily to "get more bang for your buck" is the wrong reason to move. Life is not all about a bigger house. Our kids were grown and gone when we moved down here but I can tell you, we lived in Maryland for several years when my children were young and I pined for home almost daily.

Secondly, please know we do get some snow.....it often goes down into the 20's -30's. We can also get some pretty severe ice storms. It's definitely not New England winter but it's not FL either.

Lastly, if you are used to being "in the thick of things", you may find Clayton a bit remote.

I wish you the best.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 AM

127 posts, read 215,817 times
Like: Everything

Miss: Nothing

Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 13,237 times
What I like:
1) Better weather & warmer beaches
2) Less traffic & less toll roads
3) Lower taxes

What I miss:
1) Residential architecture (even the new stuff is junk)
2) Pride in history
3) Public transportation

Old 09-28-2015, 08:17 AM

53 posts, read 128,477 times
We relocated here from the Boston area 5 years ago...

Like: Better weather, lower housing costs, lower property taxes, numerous parks and walking trails. Wonderful place to raise a family. Very child-friendly amenities. Less traffic, roads are in better condition, much cleaner (for the most part) with newer buildings, roads, landscaping, etc. Driving and doing errands here is so much easier and more pleasant. People are friendly and I've found it's been much easier to make new friends here than it was in MA, during my adult life. Beaches are farther in miles, but we don't sit in awful traffic every time we go. NC beaches are beautiful. I prefer flying in and out of RDU to Logan or TF Green.

Miss: Not much. Family and friends to a degree, but not as much as I thought I would. Access to historic, charming towns with walkable villages/centers, countryside, proximity to Maine...Jewish Delis...in theory, I'd say going to Red Sox games, but in reality, it was too expensive to go frequently, anyway...

Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,372,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSailor View Post
What I like:
1) Better weather & warmer beaches
2) Less traffic & less toll roads
3) Lower taxes

What I miss:
1) Residential architecture (even the new stuff is junk)
2) Pride in history
3) Public transportation
NC has tremendous pride in it's history.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 AM

252 posts, read 275,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post

My thoughts exactly, I don't think there is anything that could get me to move back to CNY.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:54 AM

547 posts, read 774,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post

+2, except maybe our old friends and family.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM

143 posts, read 201,463 times
Originally from NE Ohio, near Cleveland.

Best thing: No snow. Worst thing: no snow.

I am SO HAPPY when we get our token once per year snow, but when I visit family up north I am reminded of how much it sucks to have snow for literally half the year

But on a more serious note:

Best: gardening. OH MY GAWD. I'm used to gardening being a long game. Plants in Ohio get like 5 mins of sun, so it can take years for a shrub, tree - even perennials to really get going. Not here. If you like to garden, you will enjoy what feels like relative instant gratification. The first big project I did - installing daylillies - was fabulous until I saw how fast they grew. I had to pull em all up and divide them within a MONTH.

Worst: The weather. 95 degrees with 95% humidity from the end of May well into September. It's 85 today and sweaty out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary