Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 PM

120 posts, read 296,416 times

Advertisements

Residents of Holly Springs - does everyone have Time Warner Cable for Internet?

Are there any other options?

Renting in HS and TWC sucks!

Wifi is atrocious and only way to get decent speed is to hard wire in, which is a joke now a days.

Help. Someone free me from TWC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
I'm no fan of TWC but their Internet service has never really been the issue, just everything else attached to it (e.g., customer service, pricing).

I had to install a repeater in my house to get decent speeds in every room other than where the main wireless router is, but that's not a TWC issue per se.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
You're probably better off ditching the TWC modem, then buying two separate devices, one a modem only and two a wireless router. That way you can hopefully
place the WIFI device in a better location than the cable modem and either way it should give you a better signal than a combination device.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
We tried everything with TWC internet, and after 6 months we have had to ditch them and go back to ATT. We just can't live with all the outages, it's been particularly ridiculous lately. We have 3 kids that need the internet for school work - I had to run to the library with one of them last week to complete something, which isn't something that I feel like doing on a regular basis (nor should I have to with the prices we're paying)....and I got the LAST computer available at the library...hmmmm. We're tired of trying to figure out a strategy to make it work when we never had any problems with ATT. So back we go. Customer service sucks no matter who you go with.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:12 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You're probably better off ditching the TWC modem, then buying two separate devices, one a modem only and two a wireless router. That way you can hopefully
place the WIFI device in a better location than the cable modem and either way it should give you a better signal than a combination device.
Right.
I think of TWC as a delivery mechanism to my door, and distribution as my job.
I never think of them as a wifi service, except for public hotspots.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Definitely get your own wireless router and don't use the TWC one. There's a big difference in quality between different routers. Something like an ASUS RT-AC68U is going to run rings around the TWC router. Avoid a repeater if you can. It can help with range, but at a cost of speed. It has taken me some time to dial in my router...placing it in the best spot and finding which network (2.4 or 5 GHz) worked best at various spots.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
Also, consider a Roku 3 device. instead of a cable TV box. You still need a TWC TV account.

Time Warner Cable’s Cable-Free Cable Is Still Basically Cable, Just On A Roku

Power line adapters have VASTLY improved, and make for an easy way to send ethernet around a multi-story house. I have about 5 of the TP-Link devices. One is cabled to the router, and the other 4 in ac outlets that are on other floors and the screened porch.

50% off here for a pair: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT High-speed AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps - Newegg.com

Buy Netgear router at Costco; unlimited returns policy, i.e. you can always get a replacement/refund, for life.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Also, consider a Roku 3 device. instead of a cable TV box. You still need a TWC TV account.
I use a Roku box instead of a TWC box for one TV. I find it much more difficult to jump from one channel to another, vs the TWC remote. I looked at using the SmartPhone app, but didn't think it was any better. Maybe I am missing something.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:03 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I use a Roku box instead of a TWC box for one TV. I find it much more difficult to jump from one channel to another, vs the TWC remote. I looked at using the SmartPhone app, but didn't think it was any better. Maybe I am missing something.
Yep, it takes a few extra seconds... I

In settings: choose "Sort by Channel" and be sure to do "View Tour"
I use the filters and the Favorite Channels + Recently Watched lists.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Earthlink is a Time Warner reseller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: