Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

Where does flooding tend to happen? There's no big rivers in north raleigh are there? How do you know if your house is likely to be flooded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Where does flooding tend to happen? There's no big rivers in north raleigh are there? How do you know if your house is likely to be flooded?
Search here:

Flood Risk Information System

Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
I lived in Florida for over 20 years so I should be used to the threat of a hurricane. Now that we are in Raleigh, the trees worry me more than flooding. We have upstairs bedrooms and two very very large trees in our back yard right by our bedroom. Last year there was a storm that blew down a big tree in our neighbors yard that landed across our driveway. I was so thankful it do not fall towards our house.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
OK, all this advice is appreciated. I know it's not possible to be specific, but are we talking about this weekend, next week or what for this storm happening? I have plenty of big trees behind my house and the intersection in front of my neighborhood tends to get flooded when it rains.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:32 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
OK, all this advice is appreciated. I know it's not possible to be specific, but are we talking about this weekend, next week or what for this storm happening? I have plenty of big trees behind my house and the intersection in front of my neighborhood tends to get flooded when it rains.
This weekend, as of right now.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm 55 years old, and have lived in NC almost that entire time. I don't think I've ever lost power due to a hurricane. If you want to worry about a natural disaster, focus on ice storms. You're far more likely to end up trapped in the dark from one of those.
During Fran, we were without power in Fuquay for almost 2 weeks. I was also out of high school for 2 weeks as well because Wake Co public schools (at least according to the policy at the time) wouldn't re-open till all or a very high percentage of homes in the county had power service restored. There were also so many trees down I don't think they could confidently run the buses everywhere, so that may also have effected the decision. Didn't bother me though, IIRC we had only been in school for around 2 weeks then got 2 off!

Old 09-30-2015, 01:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I just had a conversation with my coworkers about how things are lining up, two of whom lived through Fran, and they are fuh-reak-ing out over the forecast.

It sort of reminds me how I once laughed at coworkers based in Greenville, SC who were panicking about getting home from Atlanta before a potential ice storm (I lived on Long Island at the time). I couldn't fathom why a rinky-dink thin layer of ice was generating so much drama. I now live in North Carolina and fully understand the hysteria.

So when the locals start losing their minds over developing weather conditions, I tend to pay closer attention.

I'll be stocking up on the batteries and bottled water later today "just in case".

Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Ah so nobody knew it was coming here. How about Asheville? Ever had a hurricane there? I may go there if a hurricane is forecast for anywhere from here to the coast
I was in the mountains right near Asheville during Ivan. I had just moved up there the May previous (from here) and it was quite a sight. I was really worried and doing the usual hurricane prep you learn living here but everyone else up there didn't seem to think anything could possibly happen. I was floored by their attitude, tbh. As everyone knows now, it was a pretty bad one, especially with all the rivers up there flooding.

My interesting story regarding Ivan: I was living in Canton (just to the west of Asheville) at the time in a small apartment in a really old house. We were high up on a hill where I wasn't worried about flooding but the winds were pretty scary and there were some trees down though nothing touched the house. The morning after it was over, we walked through downtown Canton to the Main St bridge over the Pigeon River. The water was up a bit higher than the underside of the bridge, but at that point wasn't washing over the roadbed anymore. We could see bright green and red things bobbing in the water and clumped up against the bridge because they couldn't get past it. Took us a second, but as we got closer we could see that those things were THOUSANDS of green and red bell peppers. The story we heard was that a farm or something had gotten washed out up stream and carried all the peppers there. I dunno if that's true now that I think about it, given the growing seasons and all, but however they got it's certainly something I don't ever think I'll see again!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:14 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
My husband is not taking this seriously at all! He's making jokes with his colleagues about me being too nervous!
I have a few more questions: Why does the running water stop? Why do you need sleeping bags? I'm not planning on camping out during or after the hurricane.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Quote:
In N. Raleigh, like much of Raleigh there are a lot of creeks etc that run through town. The water can rise quick during the heaviest of rains. I remember my backyard had a random giant turtle during Fran...not sure how it got in there as it is fully fenced in. Neighbors on the other side of the street had dead fish in their lawns from where random creeks near Shelly Lake had risen.

The neuse and areas around Falls lake had the worst flooding in N. Raleigh.

I'm interested in seeing how more rural areas at the time (that are now fully developed) will handle the flooding...including N. Raleigh, West Cary, Apex, HS, FQV, Clayton etc.

Quote:
My husband is not taking this seriously at all! He's making jokes with his colleagues about me being too nervous!
I have a few more questions: Why does the running water stop? Why do you need sleeping bags? I'm not planning on camping out during or after the hurricane.
There is no point in leaving unless you are under lumbering trees or in a flood zone. It will take you weeks to get back, and no one is gonna clean your yard for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary